Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Progress

Posted by jadedgardener z3, ND (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:15

Hello everyone!
I've been on the forums for years, but I'm new to the far north, both in reality and on the forums. We moved from Michigan to North Dakota in the winter of 2009 and I've had to make a lot of adjustments in my gardening activities. I started with a small border in front of the house and have slowly been expanding. This year I added quite a bit to my front gardens and wanted to share some of my progress.

This garden is all connected and wraps around my front yard. I have expanded, divided, and spread some things out, so it doesn't look as full as it will in a couple years. There also isn't much blooming right now, but here goes.

This is the front, north corner. As you can see, I'm still working on it.DSCF1587

Long view of the north side.
DSCF1586

Front, west, along the fence. The fence is down on one side since I need to revamp this corner.
DSCF1582

North side, showing pathway.
DSCF1589

Northeast corner with my swing, painted with our school colors:) The swing is purple, not blue, my camera apparently hates me.
DSCF1595

Facing west from the swing.
DSCF1592

East along the privacy fence, my swing is to the left here.
DSCF1591

Long shot of this corner.
DSCF1590

Bed directly in front of the house. We still need to paint our house, very badly.
DSCF1596

My long-term goal is a small circle of lawn surrounded by lush gardens. I'm also working on a large garden around the pool behind that privacy fence. I'll upload some pics of that progress as soon as we get some gravel back there. Right now it looks like a war zone.

Anyway, click on the pics for a larger view and let me know what you think and thanks for looking!
Jenni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Progress

Looks great! Can't wait to see pics as things fill in. Love the dogwood, I am quite fond of mine. And wow that much mulch in bags must have cost a fortune.

SCG

o

Lots of whimsical touches in your garden; it looks lovely.

o

My high school colors were gold and purple but from BC not ND. Welcome to the Far North nice garden.

Had to add that as a teen I worked at Jade Gardens in the same town. (restaurant)

We are almost related LOL

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 18:39

o

Thanks:) The mulch was 2/$3 and we bought it over a month as needed, so it wasn't so bad. I wish we had a better option, but we live an hour from everywhere. Someday I won't need it.

o

Ahh that isn't so bad. I forget how spoiled I am with a bark mulch plant 10 miles away. You should drive the hour up here and get some 8-) Depending on how coarse you want it is $40-$125 a truck load.

BTW the swing looks really purple here.

o

It`s shaping up to be a real beauty - so tidy looking!!!

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 22:03

Looks awesome, great job!

o

You've done a lot of work. It all looks well planned out. I would love to see pictures of how it progresses. I am always impressed by how some people have such a clear vision of what they are trying to achieve. My garden has just evolved. I deviate from my plan in the time it takes to walk across the yard, lol.

o

Haha, yes, I second north53's thoughts! I am always staggered by how organized some people are! Good on you Jenni for doing such a great job making your vision a reality! I'm also one of those people who just bumbles along and figures out to where to plant things after I've bought them, and where to dig a new bed, also after I've bought too many plants!

Yours looks great! And welcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here