Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daisies- Thanks Sierra_Z2b !

Posted by happy2beeme 4a NH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 14:29

Hi Sierra,

I took your advise and ordered some dasies. These came from the Bluestone sale. Lets see how they do over the winter. Right now they are just beautiful. Hope they are still in bloom when the cone flowers start.The ones in the picture are a yellow one I planted last year.

daisy

daisy

These are Whirral Pride. 3 plants are doing great and 3 are iffy not much larger than when I planted them.

I also ordered phlox that is growing but no buds, coneflower, white swan they are the same size as when I planted them, foxglove is just sitting there.

anyone else having any luck with what they ordered from Bluestone? Any pictures??

Thanks again :)
Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daisies- Thanks Sierra_Z2b !

Those are cute! I like their little furry collars! :0)

o

Hi Karyn, Those are very pretty. You will have to let us know if they come through the winter for you. If I had seen those somewhere, I would have bought some too. Your yellow cones will be very pretty when they bloom...hopefully before the shastas are finished.

I started white swan coneflower from seed last year and they are still smaller than they should be now too. But at least they made it through the winter. Sometimes is takes them a year or two to settle in, grow and bloom.
Foxgloves are pretty. They usually just sit there the first year then bloom the second year. I believe there is one kind that will bloom the first year...might be called foxy, but not sure on that. I can't get phlox to flower for me either......I have no idea why. I don't even try to grow it anymore.

I have some blue daisies (asters) blooming right now....and I don't even remember planting them. haha They are a bit different, I haven't had a chance to take any pics yet.

Is Bluestone an American company? I think most posters here are Canadian.

Your garden art is sooooo cute!

Sierra

o

Hi Sierra,

Yes, Bluestone is in Ohio, USA. But I know they do ship to Canada. This year is my first time ordering from them but have been eyeing their catalogue for a few years. Their plants for perennials are a good size--I think. But Im not one who orders from many internet or catalogue suppliers. Usually the plants are ordered in-groups of three, they are in large cell packs. My orders were well packaged and plant in great condition. Even if you never order from them their catalogue is good reading over the winter.

For what its worth they are still having a clearance sale, I noticed some Astilbe, daylilies, and quite a few hosta.

I love this forum since everyone is basically the same, no huge zone changes-cold is cold.and from watching the forum over the past several years the advise is good advise and relevant to my garden, again a zone thing if it will grow in a 2 then I know my 4 will too. I actually order many plants from Canada when they will ship to me. I have better luck with them. I have my favorites.

Glad to hear the foxglove will come along next year. I guess the phlox will too. I dont have trouble getting it to bloom the trouble is the deer and moose eating it. I have most planted away from the house by the barn so I tried this close to the house to see if the deer will leave it alone. So far so good.

I have tried several times to start cone flowers from seed, never any luck. Never even see any starting from self seeding in the garden. Ill keep trying I would love to have a large span of them for the birds over the winter. Any special trick you know of? The seed I had were from a friend and wondered if its not the seed.

That tin girl needs a new paint job, my sister gave it to me long ago for Mothers day and I love it too.

My Theresa and Marie Bugnet arrived this week but I havent planted them yet. They are own root but smaller that I thought they would be. I need to decide if I should leave them potted for a year or so or just plant them now. The trouble with leaving them potted is I don't have a way to keep them over the winter. No garage, and my cellar is heated. I have in the past burried the whole pot and mulched the whole thing...Any suggestions?

Ill let everyone know how the daisies make it through the winter. Thanks again for the encouragement to try something I wouldnt think of.

Happy Gardening,
Karyn

o

Karyn, i wintered a small rose that way and it survived just fine. It was a shoot from Henry Kelsey - the rest of the plant was dead so i rescued the shoot. He has a little flower right now, still in the container.

o

Thanks for the info Karyn. I will definately check out Bluestone if they ship to Canada. Not that I need anymore plants. LOL!!!!

I wanted to add, that I do lose some foxglove in the freeze thaw of spring. They will come out from under the snow nice and green and then turn black and die. So they do need a protected area.

"I love this forum since everyone is basically the same"

You mean we are all plant-o-holics!!!lol joking. :)

I am the only one that can't grow phlox. It annoys me to no end. People that arn't even gardeners around the corner from me, have huge stands of it blooming away. :O

Don't know of any special trick for starting coneflower seed. I just sprinkled it on some pro-mix in some 4 in. pots. Put them in a plastic zip bag till they sprouted and then just put them under lights. At plant out time I put them in the garden. For some reason I don't have coneflowers self-seed for me at all. Maybe the birds eat all the seed.

I have 2 Theresa roses...I really like them. I don't have a Marie....I looked for one last year and couldn't find one. Then this spring I forgot about her. So maybe next year. I have a beautiful Emily Carr and a gorgeous Ramblin red rose, that jumped into my cart last week....so I have to plant them soon.

Last year I took a cutting from my John Davis rose and didn't get it planted before winter. I just burried the pot in the veggie garden. It came though just fine and is blooming now. I still don't have it planted. lol.

Sierra

o

We had a really mild winter a few years ago and two White Kosters that my ex-daughter-in-law had bought from Walmart overwintered in their bodybags. My son found them when he was doing his spring yard work and gave them to me. They're still doing fine!

o

oh I really like your daisies Karyn, so pretty.
And I as well, totally appreciate all the info posted here along with advice and pics!
I tried w/s the past two years and have had great beginners luck with coneflowers and alot of other perennials. (foxglove came up like a bad weed! LOLS)
Maybe worth trying that method?
And that is amazing Marcia about those body bag roses!
Debbie

o

Hi Debbie,

I would like to try w/s will have to read up on it. Sounds pretty easy. What a terrible problem to have lots of fox glove :) bet they are pretty. I have never grown them but to my surprize there is one growing in a shade bed I have, no idea where it came from. It's yellow and very pretty. I might try to dig it up and move it to some sun....

:) Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here