Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staking trees

Posted by morphoz3a_ab (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 14:34

Hi

I have an Evans cherry (tree form) at the front of my house with an eastern exposure. It's about 4 years old now. It had a sort of offset leader to start with, but now the leader is really leaning to the northeast, away from the shadow of the house. I staked it when it was new but took off the stakes when it was a year in, and it seemed to be fine - i.e. growing up. Now the whole tree is leaning northeast, and it looks awful. All of my perennials lean to the east, but that doesn't bother me as much because it's easier to stake those, and they face the street.

Does anyone know if I stake the main trunk low and stake the leader if I have to leave it like that for the rest of it's life? The reason I ask is that I have a fairly small front yard and the stake supports will have to go across a pathway. Can I stake it for the winter and take it off for the summer? I'm just not sure how trees respond to staking.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staking trees

Is this Evans on it's own root?
If yes, then I would think a stake you only need about 2 or 3 years...if the trunk was pruned up into a tree form. I let my Evans grow into a shrub, no staking necessary. If this tree was grafted to a root stock, then you might have to stake it longer, it's because sometimes by the graft union, there is a weak spot and have to keep an eye on it. You wouldn't need to tie it down across a path, just put one
or two tree sakes about 10 inches from the trunk and tie with a old rubber hose,..it's not a good idea taking it off between.
A picture would be helpful.

Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here