Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
July in 1b garden

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 14:53

For those who requested, here's a few shots of my yard. This is a large perennial border that was my first garden bed. It has heavy clay soil, and has undergone many changes, but never satisfies me. Some days it looks good, but lots of times it doesn't.
 photo 100_4383_zpsa01e8d08.jpg

This is along my garden path where the wild look took hold. Clustered bellflower and echium were blooming when I took this shot. You can see centaurea blooming too. The daylilies are the common type but they do great under the birch. I have a barrier to keep them in bounds. I thought I'd weeded out all the gallardia, but I see it had other ideas.
 photo 100_4363_zpsfc1471c8.jpg

I put more thought into my front yard hosta bed, but then the mountain ash tree blew down in a storm. I had to move the hostas that couldn't handle the resulting sun. So again, my plan was foiled.
 photo 100_4386_zps37cab917.jpg

Another area full of Canada violet. I had 2 clematis planted here, but I guess it's time to declare them dead. Too bad.
 photo 100_4366_zpsf359440e.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: July in 1b garden

Very nice, Marie! It doesn't look that wild!

o

Very nice indeed! Especially impressive for being in zone 1.

o

Marie, the books classify you as 1b or you wouldn't have put it here.

You have a beautiful yard. Would you call yourself 1b ?

Lynn

o

Not sure what you mean Lynn,
I got the rating off the new Canadian Zone map.
Here's a link to it.
http://www.agr.gc.ca/atlas/agpv?webmap=78529700717d4cab81c13e9f9404ef10

o

Looks great Marie! Your hostas look big & happy.

o

When i started gardening, my zone rating was 3b but they changed everything and now i'm technically 2b. Well, none of my zone 3 plants suddenly died off because the rating changed, so i refuse to be 2b! So there!

o

Impressive 1b garden!

o

OMG I will trade your 1b for my wannabe 5!!!!

o

WOW!!!!! That is IMPRESSIVE! I love your "messy" style for sure! Listen, that is NOT messy - it is totally ORGANIZED CHAOS and I LOVE IT! I love how lush and green the plants are, how you combine the textures, colours and forms so perfectly together. I LOVE IT!

I feel like asking you to give me the list and location of each perennial from that gorgeous border, so I can learn what to mix with what to create that amazing effect!!!

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! LOVE IT!!! If anyone tells you that your garden is too crowded, they do NOT know what they are talking about.... :-) It's GORGEOUS!!!

o

Marie, I feel the same way as Marcia. I also refuse to be a 2a. By the time you consider the protection from the trees, house, and fence, we all have nice little micro zones :) I have quite a few things for zone 4 in my yard .

You're growing all kinds of things that shouldn't thrive in 1b aren't you ?

Lynn

o

I will embrace the term, Organized Chaos. Thanks Ostrich.

I agree, there is protection from the house & fence etc, for my backyard plants. However the front yard faces north and is wide open. I think having the correct soil for the plants is the most important thing determining survival. And a very big element is reliable snow cover. Though it was a really tough winter, most perennials survived. Trees are another matter. Many ash trees in my area have lost all their limbs but are only coming back from the base of the tree.

But thank you all for the positive comments. It is always a work in progress. Some days things look okay. Other times I think I should grow less and take better care of what I do have. But then PAD kicks in, lol.

o

WOW ... beautiful! If I could just take all you've done with your perennial border and put it in my back yard, that would be my dream. This is what I hope to work towards one day (I haven't even started with a border around the fence as I'm still working on some raised flower beds). I still have a lot of learning to figure out what goes with what. Looks great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here