Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses planted too high

Posted by carolann_roses 3-4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 15:03

Hi,
I recently ordered some delicate hybrid tea roses and had a hired professional plant them. I instructed her to have her helpers plant the bud union 3-4 inches below the soil level, only to find them planted above the soil level. She later said she didn't know what the bud union was. O.K, so she walked off the job and now I have these many roses planted wrong. They were all bare root roses. They have been in the soil about two weeks. (I have not added the mulch yet) Do I dig them all up and plant lower? Is there any other way? I have had several delicate hybrid teas planted and they have survived well over the winters, being planted lower and with good winter protection. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses planted too high

And they were professionals you say, they should know better for our zone.

First, I would demand my money back!

I would dig them up and replant them properly, wait for a day that is on the cool side and water faithfully right up till freeze up time and mulch around them. Just before the ground freezes, cover up with a good layer of mulch on hand (I use straw).

Best wishes they survive!
Sharon

o
RE: Roses planted too high

Thanks Sharon! Yes, I can hardly believe what happened... and then she was mad at me....I had emailed her and then told them verbally right before they planted to make sure it was done correctly. I was very polite and never said a harsh word to her. I will wait for a cool day and then get busy! (She was yelling about money when she stormed off, so I imagine I will have trouble with that part of the mess too.) Boy, did I learn a lesson! They are on a drip system, so I think I can make sure they are watered thoroughtly. Thanks again. Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here