Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Can't Stop my Yarrow !

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 15:13

I've complained about it before, but the stupid white yarrow in my yard, that came in without being invited, is still spreading.

Should I give up and plant some red yarrow in with it?

Do you think I could learn to like it with red and white mixed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Can't Stop my Yarrow !

Lol!!! You sound like me with my painted daisies! I also have white yarrow taking over the front flower bed but then the monster mugo pine that Dad planted there when it was just a little itty bitty Christmas tree has pretty much taken over the rest of the bed. I pull a little of the yarrow every year just to keep it in check and now it looks nice with the tiger lilies and other dark red lilies that are finally spreading. Maybe planting some red in there will look good. True Canadian colors! :)

Ginny

o

Come to think of it, i used to have a really nice red one. Wonder where it went... LOL

o

I thought my yard was invaded with yarrow and have been cursing it, but on closer inspection I think it's actually those horrible Marguerite daisies. Awful awful weed whatever it is.

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 13:22

I planted yarrow achillea summer pastels but removed it many years ago. It self sowed and the seedlings are still growing in the lawn against a chain link fence sort of in a tight spot behind a rugosa rose. It's blooming this year. I thought I pulled it out last year but I guess not. Pretty aggressive and weed like.

o

How deep do you suppose I'd have to dig to get rid of the darn yarrow?

It's growing around my beloved Amur Maple, and in the lawn.
I don't want to damage the tree as it's just finally gotten established and is looking awesome this year =:)

o

Oddly enough, I have never had trouble with yarrow spreading any more than a well behaved amount of natural growth. No self seeding, no nothing. Weird! I have a bright yellow one with greyish leaves and a reddish purple one with fringy green leaves.

If it is so hard to get rid of, I'd probably just keep pulling it to keep it in check and deal with the rest. Or spot spray with round up.

o

Could it be queens Anne lace, not yarrow.

o

Funny that this thread should pop up now. I was going to post about getting rid of my yarrow too, finally. It just gets to be such a big mess, and yes, seeds all over. This is Summer Pastels, if i remember - pretty, but i'm getting tired of "pretty but weedy", and i have a heck of a lot of stuff like that!

This is what it looks like now.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Out it goes!

o

It was suggested by someone here that I can apply round up with a paintbrush. It is working very well for me especially on hard to pull things like quack grass. Maybe it would work for you.

SCG

o

It's a thought. I guess it's just that parts of my garden are making me mad with all the invasive stuff and i'm on the warpath!

o

Hmm..... I must confess that I am not a fan of achillea either! I think that red and white would look better together.

How about mixing the white achillea with some black-eyed Susan and purple cone flowers?

I must say that the red ones do look a bit more refined than the other ones.... at least in my eyes anyway! LOL

o

The red ones are a lot "tamer" than the others. Mine hasn't spread or clumped up at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here