Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allium 'Globemaster'

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 15:28

These are fun colorful plants. I need to further amend the soil for even larger blooms. These are great to sprinkle throughout the yard for a splash of long lasting color.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allium 'Globemaster'

I have the Purple Sensation and absolutely love them, too.

I started two years ago with my first ones, bought more last year, and plan to buy another batch this year.

I love the look of fireworks in the garden =:)

Mine are all in the same spot, but by the looks of your picture, I should start "sprinkling them throughout" like you have. Looks great !

o

So fun, Terry! Pom poms in the garden! :-)

I have a couple out in the garden somewhere. Maybe I should add some more.

Ginny

o

nutsaboutflowers and Ginny, I'm gonna start adding more allium types, there's so many ones out there!

Here's some Globemaster "sprinkled" about ...

o

I was never very excited by alliums but now that I have several it's ridiculous how good they look in a landscape. I got some nice purple and white ones at Costco last fall. Except they bloom at different times, LOL.

o

I just got Botanus and Vesey's catalogues. They usually have a few varieties. I haven't looked yet.

They just add so much fun to the garden. Just like a circus in the beds:)

Ginny

o

WOW! What a lovely property you have! The plants look wonderful - are you sure you are in zone 3!? :-)

o

I love allium, unfortunetly I think our mild winter did them in. All my purple sensation did not return, and some others aren't doing well this year either.
When buying them I find the best prices from John Scheepers, or larger lots from Van Englen Inc.
My only issue with those companies is that they don't understand our early snow and cold...Last time I ordered Tulips from them I was planting them through the snow. But they looked WONDERFUL in the spring!

Here is a link that might be useful: John Scheepers

o

My first alliums (Purple Sensation) only lasted about three years. I planted more a couple of years ago. I don't know if this is the norm for them, though.

o

I've brought in the dried heads of globemaster to use as a decoration as the stalks bent in half with the weight of the blooms. I understand you can spray them to keep them longlasting. I also have Purple Sensation and Christophi in my garden which is spectacular. Stems are shorter but the heads are huge- look like beautiful exploding fireworks. They glow in the garden. Have seen them adveritised as zone 5 but they do fine in my garden, albeit have them planted in a sheltered spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here