Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What rose is this?

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 16:20

This rose was purchased as 'Morden Blush', though isn't ... what do you think, it rather resembles 'Prairie Joy', though seems to repeat better than the 'Prairie Joy' I previously had ... it's on its second small flush and more are being produced.

Photobucket

The below is one of the roses I've developed and has been healthy and hardy with good repeat, I've named it 'Grandma's Blouse' for its colorful frilly looks.

Photobucket

Terrance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What rose is this?

Love your Grandma's Blouse! Does it smell like Grandma's rose water too? Lol.

The first one looks like an Austin rose. Definately not Morden's Blush.

Ginny

o

Photobucket

Here's another photo, I have several similar sister seedlings, though this one demonstrates stronger disease resistance. I'll have to put my nose to it on a warmer day and take a good sniff :)

I wonder if my mystery rose is one of the Buck's?

o

That was my next guess, Terry but what do I know? :)

Ginny

o

The colour made me think of Hawkeye Belle but I don't think it blooms flat/quartered like that. That part is more like an Austin.

Love the new rose Terry! You don't often see intense pink and yellow together in a rose.

o

Nope, not Hawkeye Belle. She's paler pink and more of a tea rose shape.

Love Grandma's Blouse, Terry!

o

I'm glad others also enjoy my 'Grandma's Blouse' rose ... for several reasons it's kinda special to me :)

This is what my mystery rose looked like earlier

'Morden Blush'

o

I don't know, Terry. That one looks a lot like the Morden Blush I had........?

Ginny

o

Could be Lambert Closse. Are the leaves shiny?

o

Shazam, the foliage is rather like Morden Blush, though darker and more healthy ... I'm still leaning towards 'Prairie Joy' ...

o

Probably PJ then if the foliage isn't shiny.

o

It has been a long time since I have been here.
Terry it is definitely not Prairie Joy.The flower petals are too long and the foliage is not right. I would tend to say Lambert Closse, if any. The flowers on my LC's have quartered.

Love your seedling.

o

LC has shiny foliage, the plant stays fairly small. I never found it to repeat all that well.

PJ has dull dense (for a rose) foliage, can get fairly big. Has an okay repeat.

Lambert Closse:

Prairie Joy:

o

Oh yeah, the necks on LC's blooms were quite weak. PJ stays up.

o

Great photo, Shazam! I didn't realize that Lambert Closse is such a good looker, does it have good disease resistance?

Here's a few more photos, the blooms seem to change their looks under different weather conditions and time of the season, I especially like these current blooms.

Photobucket

A foliage shot, there's some hips set from intentional crosses I had done, it otherwise sets few hips due to having petal packed centers and little pollen.

Photobucket

o

Thanks.

Dollars to donuts you have Prairie Joy. Definitely not LC. I too noticed that PJ's blooms varied.

I don't recall LC ever getting PM or BS. It seemed to be very pest resistant as well. Well worth getting if you can get it to repeat better, which you will probably have better chance of than me due to your location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here