Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in Lily Buds - Update

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 16:35

For those of you who read and responded to "Should I be Concerned About my Lilies" on July 5th.........

I've had a few more buds with holes in them, all on the same plant, but haven't found any evidence of the Lily Beetle.

I called a friend of a friend, who is a member of a Lily Society and she said last year she found a few holes in her buds and blamed it, probably, on some type of beetle, but not the Red Lily Beetle. She's had no damage this year. Hopefully my damage is also a one time occurrence =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in Lily Buds - Update

NAF, I'd read your earlier post and didn't respond since I couldn't give you the answer, but one bad year in the past I've had something burrow into lily buds and eat the flower before in could bloom. It wasn't the lily beetle. If I was really diligent I could catch the worm before it was able to do the damage. But you have to have seen damage before you can watch for the worms.
There's always something out there looking for a tasty meal.

o

Well glad to hear it wasn't the darned lily beetle anyway.

o

We've had lily beetle damage in Montreal for several years now. I've read your other thread also, and what you have, nutsaboutflowers, sounds a lot like the lily beetle to me, even though you haven't spotted one yet. They tend not to hang around on the lilies unless they're feeding or mating, probably because their bright red color makes them easy targets.

I believe that after eating or mating, they burrow into the ground at the base of each plant to hide, or fly about looking for new lilies to devour. Certainly the ones I catch every now and then are fly-ins because in the spring, I diligently eradicated the ones who over wintered in my garden.

The bottom parts of the lily usually get more damage because they will start eating the leaves of the lily as it sprouts and continue doing so until the blooms develop. But if they're fly-ins or if given a choice, they will go for the buds and flowers first.

Just the same, I hope for your sake that you're right and I'm wrong. Lily beetles are really nasty little beasts and I wouldn't wish them anyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here