Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Threadleaf Cypress?

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 17:33

Does anyone have one? (Chamaecyparis pisifera Filifera Aurea) Are they hardy at all?

I bought one on sale because I needed some random cheap evergreens - I'm not fond of evergreens so I don't care which ones I have, LOL. The tag on this says Zone 5. Maybe it'll survive below the snow line? Any experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Threadleaf Cypress?

Doesn't look like anyone has one, I'll let you know if it's still there in the spring!

o

In case anyone is wondering, the cypress looks perfect this spring. It was buried in snow and has no brown ends.

o

I just did a bit of a search on these plants, some varieties they say zone 3 and were U.S. nurseries. I have kept from planting cedars because of the deer, I wonder how much deer like to eat false cypress. They would make a nice low hedge.

o

I tried one a few years ago, it was planted on the north side of the house and was well covered with snow during the winter, though come spring, it was mostly all browned off expect for some inside growth close to the ground :(

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Tue, May 27, 14 at 23:02

Had the variety known as 'sungold' at my old house. Sunny flower bed but protected with a fence nearby. The area received great snow cover in winter and I watered regularly as I planted flowers around it. It always survived just fine. When I moved it was about 2 feet wide but 18 inches high. It's pretty slow growing. It became more 'weeping' as time went on. Some sites say it can get up to 10 feet, I wouldn't depend on that but it's nice in a flower bed as a lower growing conifer. The sungold one, at least, would probably take forever to make a hedge but the plant is good as a novelty in a flower bed instead of the usual juniper or cedar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here