Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

From the Land of Honalee

I have so far not been brave enough to share the few pics I do have of this old yard cause I am so far behind in the maintenence, I don't feel worthy of posting pics too much. Unless we are talking disaster; I have a lot of those pics! But....I braved the m##%&*^%#@@$()><_ this afternoon and took a few of my land honalee little vegie garden just off the deck. tough to do with dogs trying get in picture. :>That's Puff in there on guard, keeping the dogs out.

Comments (20)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Awesome! I was hoping there would be a dragon somewhere. Is your lily 'Arena'? It's beautiful!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The lily is Garden Party and it isn't even in the ground yet. Thought I'd wait till it finished blooming. Keeping it away from the latest puppy has been fun! I'd like to plant Salmon Star right next to it so it's in my Vessy's order. I think they bloom about the same time. There's 4 kinds of peas in there, 5 kinds of carrots (including in the pots), green and yellow beans, 4 cherry tomatoes, 3 indeterminate early toms, and the pink Ultragirl in the pot. Also marigolds, lemon basil, the odd sunflower the birds dropped in, and assorted weeds, or course. Enough for us. The cucs are on the deck in deck railing planters. This whole yard needs a major overhaul which probably won't happen till the house is torn down but I gotta garden. Thanks for the vote of confidence NS. :)

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Love the dragon. And I know what you mean about puppies. I have 5 1/2 month Boxer puppy who thinks flowers beds are meant to be run across as fast as he can and also eat the lily buds. Next year it will be better.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Oh I think I need a Garden Party lily - that sounds like fun! It's beautiful.

Very nice, healthy looking plants - your carrots look fabulous!

Original Author
    12 years ago

BG - I breed shelties and have 5 adults. They ALL like to help me garden sheltie style. My last litter is 15 weeks old and this little guy is going to his forever home way down in Cyprus County on the weekend. Last puppy so I will go through withdrawls for a bit. Almost perfect timind for my iris order to arrive!
    Gairden's Johnny Cash aka Cash eating the flowers in the front garden.

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

ooooohhhhh never mind the garden party, now I want a puppy!!!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Awww Sorry. Last puppy for now. I am looking for a home for his mom tho.
    Gairden's Miss Congeniality aka Chloe

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Ooooh! How sweet is Johnny Cash! Garden looks healthy, hope you get lots of veggies. None of my lilies are blooming yet, just lots of buds. Puff is a great garden ornie.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Puff is the only one I put out in the garden this year cause the dogs have to protect him! Garden ornaments have a way of disappearing from the garden around here. I just couldn't resist him for the land called Honalee. I am so looking forward to fresh peas, carrots, beans and tomatoes! So much rain tho! We need sun!

• savona
    12 years ago

Loved the peek into your garden.Cash is adorable and so is his name. I have some Salmon Star lilies and love them.You got my vote for more sun :)..Jean

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jean. I'm sure gonna miss that little guy. I had Salmon Star a few years back but somehow they disappeared into the ether. Looking forward to planting these 2 together and adding a couple more of contrasting colors at the back of my new iris bed. Come on sunshine, what can you show me?!! :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Everything looks nice and lush, even the dogs! LOL

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marcia. I guess everything gets lots of water around here. And everything is fat! Of course that little garden is only 8 x 8 partly fenced off with an exercise pen and old greenhouse shelving so it is packed full. It is really easy to pick. Just stand in the center! All the carrots in the pots are shorter varieties, White Satin, Little Finger, Sweetness II and Minicor if memory serves me correctly. Nantes in the ground.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I've always wanted to do a garden that's in squares or whatever instead of long rows, but dh likes to be able to till inbetween the rows, so that's what we do.

Garden Party was a popular lily around the GardenWeb a few years ago because of the Garden Party Forum. I haven't look in there for years....

Original Author
    12 years ago

It's sort of a name sake thing with me and my husband. Garden Party was a favorite song of his way back and with the last name of Garden it sort of became his theme song. I have lots of plants with garden and angel names. It just happens to be a very pretty lily.

I was just out in the mini garden and picked my first 3 golden cherry tomatoes. While I was pulling a few weeds, I discovered 3 volunteer tomatoe plants . Obviously from seed from last seasons toms. They are already about 14 inches high. I wonder what they are?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    12 years ago

Ah, Garden Party is a beauty! I used to have that one and loved it. Your gardens are looking very lush and wonderful. And I adore your puppies and the Puff dragon! My youngest son just learned how to play Puff the Magic Dragon on the piano not long ago...it's a very catchy melody, especially after hearing it for the 300th time.;)
    Keep on posting those pics!

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

This looks wonderful....the dogs too! I can see,.. you're not lonely in your neck of the woods, thanks for showing!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Konrad. Not much chance of loneliness here!
    Pudge - How would you like to adopt a sheltie puppy by the name of Johnny Cash. He is looking for a forever home again. Didn't work out with the new set up. My decision. I dug up some dirt about these 'puppy millers'.
    Laurie- Puff is the best song ever written!!! I have known it word for word since I was 3 and it's sort of my theme song. It sounds great on the guitar. So much depth in that song that still touchs all ages to this day.
    I think I just have to start getting out to visit all my GW neighbours from Edmonton area. Start sharing some plantings and stories from a land called Honalee. :)

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Hey I live just 2 miles north of greenland garden center. Meet you there for coffee.

Original Author
    12 years ago

We were posting at the same time! RE: red poppy seeds.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz