Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swiss Chard bolting??

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 18:10

I've never seen this before, but several of my plants looked as if they were bolting like spinach. I picked those plants right out and we'll have them for supper tonight. The stems were quite tough on them when i cut the roots off. We've had cool, rainy summers before and that's never happened. Any ideas as to why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swiss Chard bolting??

Swiss chard in biannual and shouldn't seed the first year it's planted..... Do you have any pictures??

o

No, i didn't take any pictures of it, sorry. It was like a long stem came out of the initial rosette (or whatever) of leaves and there were smaller leaves coming off the stem at intervals. At the top, there were tiny leaves with tinier leaves inside. There were no seeds visible - the plant just looked like spinach when it bolts.

o

I've had biennial vegetables bolt the first year - I can't remember specifics but I think it was beets &/or parsnips. I think it's just something they do sometimes. I haven't seen chard do it, but I haven't grown it for a long time.

o

If any more of the plants do it, i'll be sure to take a picture. It was surprising to see. Spinach bolts all the time - I just can't grow it anymore - and my broccoli has been doing it the past few years too.

o

Marcia, how's the fertility of your soil? Have you been getting a lot of rain this summer?

o

Yes, Terry, a LOT of rain! The winter was long and cold and snowy, spring barely was spring and it has been cool and rainy most of the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here