Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Grow or Grow Low Sumac

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 18:33

I did it again! I bought another shrub when I haven't even finished planting what I bought last year, LOL!

Does anyone have one of these? From what I've read, it seems it may spread out further than they suggested at the garden centre.

I was thinking of planting it between a Red Osior Dogwood and a side by side Joe PyeWeed / Blue Fox Willow. There's about 6 feet between at the most.

Any thoughts or comments, or do you anticipate problems?? Would the taller dogwood, then the shorter sumac, and then the taller willow look awful??

The alternative would be to plant it to the right of the back door beside the walkway/patio area. It would get sun until about 3 p.m. Would it tolerate snow being shovelled onto it?

Once again, thanks for your help :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Grow or Grow Low Sumac

I hope sumacs don't grow in your zone the way they grow at the coast my SIL had suckers all over her lawn

o

My concern would also be suckers - I had a staghorn sumac and there were suckers up all over the lawn, through the sidewalk cracks and into the flower beds 20 feet away. It took me 3 years of constant pulling and Rounduping to eliminate them after I dug out the tree.

o

SIL was a staghorn too. Hopefully the low grow does not have the same growing habits.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 15:41

When you read about a plant and it says it's good for erosion control, will naturalize, and spreads by root suckers, you know that this plant is going to spread its wings no matter what.

Remember that each of those suckers turns into its own shrub and that will also want to spread. And they tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and so on, and so on. I had suckering Evans Cherry trees - I had to take them out completely and spray roundup for 3 years to get rid of all the suckering wanna-be new trees. I have suckering chokecherries that require at least annual applications of roundup to control the spread.

Be careful and at the very least give it the crappiest soil you have in your yard. Or take it back, get a refund and buy a really nice new daylily instead.

o

Pudge when you apply round up to the suckers does it kill the main tree?

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 17:16

No, no damage to the main tree. At least not to my tough-as-nails chokecherries nor the EVILans cherry. Some suckers are right near the trunk (but not on the trunk), but most travel out away from the trunk.

o

EVILans cherry I planted one last year look forward to suckers to share with friends. Can't wait for cherries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here