Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My latest projects

Posted by marciaz3 Tropical3/NWOnt (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 18:39

I've mentioned my ugly Dwarf Alberta Spruce. Since i'm not good at shovel-pruning, i figured the thing to do would be disguise it.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I had originally planned to put more than one daylily in there, but once i dug this one out (a Stella that was in too shaded a spot to bloom), i realized that one was enough. I was trying to figure out what else to add when it struck me - that's not much of a rock wall, but saponaria just might be able to do some cascading over it! And i happened to have some that were winter sown.

This bed has had no edging and has always been bad for weeds. I added the edging (really like those curved cement blocks) and mulched heavily.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My latest projects

Very successful masking of the spruce, but maybe it's time to DIE SPRUCE, DIE! Or find someone you can impress with tales of your "rare Alberta spruce", and have them take it off your hands...

o

Too much digging, Don! LOL Aren't they supposed to grow to about 3 or 4 feet? This one is only about 2. The top is very nice, though - don't you agree? :>

o

Nice job Marcia! It looks like the lily on the left wants nothing to do with the spruce.

o

Aaahhhhh. The poor thing. I don't think it's ugly at all =:)

o

In cold zones, the easiest way to have happy healthy Dwarf Alberta Spruce is to plant them in a location out of the winter and early spring sun ... such as on the north side of a building or structure. I have the very attractive selection named 'Sander's Blue', though it always burnt badly in March and looked so crappy that I had shovel pruned it. I got another one at a good price at Canadian Tire and put the thing near to the north foundation where it's now been very happy and looking darn good. I always water it well prior to winter and only safeguard it from the neighbor's dogs peeing on it.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 15:52

It is looking good Marcia...Jean

o

Thanks! :) I was really wanting some kind of small evergreen for the birds in winter and that i could eventually string some Christmas lights on, but this isn't filling the bill. I could easily plant a cedar of some kind, but that's just inviting the deer further into the yard. Have to find something else....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here