Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my hollyhocks?

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 18:59

This is my third try growing hollyhocks from seed. Every time, they sprout nicely, grow to about 15 leaves, then when I plant them they sit there doing nothing. The second spring they don't come back.

Is there something I'm not doing for them? Maybe they don't like being transplanted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my hollyhocks?

Hollyhocks really hate being transplanted. If you get them when they first come up as tiny sprouts they transplant better because they have a very long taproot. Are these the single or double hollyhocks?

o

Well these were started indoors in pots and planted out at a fairly large seedling stage. They honestly just sit there, neither dying nor growing, until the winter and they're never seen again.

They are single yellow ones that my Grandpa used to grow. The seed was old but germinated well.

o

I usually just let the hollyhocks seed out and have all kinds coming up the next year. I have one of those single yellow ones which I call The hollyhock from Hell. It is at least 6ft tall and 4-5 ft around. The place I bought it from said it came from Eastern Europe somewhere.

o

My hollyhocks self seed. I regularly move them from where they sprout. Generally speaking, they survive but need an extra year to flower. Mine do overwinter; they could be hardier because they self seeded.

I do try to keep some dirt on the root. However, I just try to be quick.

o

But, but... I don't have any to self-seed! They came from my old house. *sob* I have the last 3 seedlings growing - err not growing - outside right now so if these fail, I'm not trying again.

o

Well if you want seeds from that yellow one you are more than welcome.

o

Here are a couple pix of it.Looks like I will have tons of seeds to give away..
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I just love gardeners! They must be the most generous of any group of people I have ever known. :-)

o

That's so nice of you Beegood. I'll see what these do and let you know. Mine were more of a peach yellow but those are probably nicer anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here