Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbergunde

What is harming my Delphiniums?

cbergunde
9 years ago

Hello Fellow Gardeners!

It has been quite some time since I have posted here, but it is nice to still see some familiar names :)

I planted Delphinium seeds (taken from a healthy plant at my previous home) 6 years ago and have since had beautiful and healthy plants - but both last year and this, something is happening (see photo). I have not made any changes to the location that they reside in ...... I do not visibly see any bugs active on the damaged parts.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Comments (8)

• nutsaboutflowers
    9 years ago

Hi to you, too, fellow gardener :)

Do a search for the thread Marcia started, dated June 24, 2010, called "Delphinium Question".

You may find your answer there.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

There is such thing called a delphinium worm - it curls up into the growing tip of a delphinium plant and eats away at the buds and young leaves. If you get it early enough, the plant will recover (and bloom). I just check my plants in the Spring and early summer and squish them when I find them. I used to tell my daughter they were jelly bugs...

• cbergunde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you nutsaboutflowers and Donna .... and to Marcia for bumping up the old thread!

I did go out the other night and while still not seeing any bugs/larvae/worms, I did cut off all of the damaged portions of my Delphs - now it will just be the waiting game ;)

Thanks again!

• kimzandee45
    7 years ago

Is there anything I spray on these bugs as they curl up the leafs n they die. Looks like a worm dalphieums I am talking about sorry

• conniepr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes, there is stuff you can buy. I keep a close eye on mine every year and as soon as I see leaves starting to turn in, I get out the sprayer. Some years, I have to spray once a week until they bloom (problem seems to go away by then). Some years, I only need to spray once or twice to keep the aphids off. I can't remember what products I use, but read the bottles and pick that way, or ask someone at a gardening store which product to use. Buy something that can be diluted in water in a bigger sprayer, as it might get expensive if you're buying the little single application spray bottles.

One year, I saw an article about making your own concoction out of rhubarb leaves, which are poisonous. I followed the instructions for cooking them up, etc., and used them that year. Seemed to work great, but I'm lazy and went back to the commercial products the next year. I have too many delphiniums, anyways; I don't think I could keep up with cutting off all my rhubarb leaves just for this.

• kimzandee45
    7 years ago

HI thank you I did some research and found that this bug comes from the root so a person is to make sure no bark around it and to cut it down and throw all of it n it's to grow back n it shouldn't have any more worms or what ever. Thank u very much

• conniepr
    7 years ago

Yes, I read somewhere to, every spring, once the delphiniums reach about 10 inches, cut off about six inches off all the new branches. That is supposed to help, but I find that hard to do. So, I only do it if I see a problem starting up already. Which I did on some of them this year, but not all. They are all about 3-4 feet tall now and were looking really healthy until yesterday. I don't see any bugs yet, but some of the leaves are curling in. That's the first sign of problems. So, I'll be spraying them today.

I do use bark mulch in my flower beds, but try to keep it minimal under these bushes.

This photo of them in bloom is from a previous year and is a photo of a photo in a picture frame, simply because my laptop was taken over by one of those tricksters who capture your windows login and demand money to get it back. I refused and haven't got my laptop to a professional to fix it yet. So I've lost all previous photos taken of my yards, unless they're on my tablet.

This photo was before I expanded the bed to include shorter plants in front of the delphiniums so I could have color and beautiful plants all through the summer.

• Kate
    5 years ago
    has anyone had problems with fire ants eating their delphinium from the inside out inside the stock because that's what happened to mine last year so I just bought a new one today but I'm scared that's going to happen again if I plant it in the ground again
Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor