Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neem oil

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 19:27

So further to our lily beetle discussions, I got my gallon of neem oil in the mail and sprayed my lilies. It smells like sort of weird gross food but it's not a chemical smell that makes you think of poison.

The deal with neem in Canada is that it's not approved by Ag Canada as an pesticide so it can't be sold as a pesticide. You'll find it on websites such as Canadian Tire and Home Depot but it will probably say its not available in your area. However, it is quite safe and allowed to be sold as a cosmetic oil. I bought mine from a soap making supplier.

I'm attaching a link below explaining what it does. It was a little disappointing that the beetle larvae didn't drop dead, but it's nice to know its not harmful to bees or other beneficial insects. It only affects sucking and chewing insects.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem fact sheet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neem oil

I used neem oil on my cabbage plants last year. It was a bit of work having to spray them often but had great success with it. I'm planning on using it again on my cabbage and might spray my sunflowers with it to help decrease the grasshopper population.

I found it at a local greenhouse being sold as a leaf shine aid, and it cost be a pretty penny but its the concentrate so it'll last a long time.

o

Another good thing to note is that it doesn't take much. Apparently the presence of the oil disrupts the insects' processes, and even a trace amount works. I bought such a big jug I'm thinking of putting it in bottles and selling it at cost to my garden club if anyone needs it.

That's interesting about the labeling as cosmetic, TD. I don't have insect problems in my vegetables since I stopped growing kale (flea beetles), but I'll try it on aphids next time I see them.

o

I find Neem quite effective against powdery mildew, if you spray early and often. I also mix it with a bit of rubbing alcohol and it's the only thing in the world effective against the scale on my indoor figs. You do get used to the nutty-garlic smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here