Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Lots of Evans Cherry drop this year!

I've been told,
mine are still dropping,...if yours are doing it then you're not alone, I suspect weather related, too long too cool when they flowered, ...couldn't set properly.

As I said before, same with some other fruits.

Comments (19)

• Collin001
    9 years ago

That is too bad. Is the damage confined to the blossoms on just the Evans or are other trees involved?

Are you getting black rot in the bark of the tree? We had so much rain that the bark is looking not so good this year.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

We cut a couple of huge branches off the Evans cherry this year, and there is something going on with the trunk of the tree as well. There is some fruit though.

My plum on the other hand, has no fruit on it at all. I know I need another plum to pollinate but there must be one nearby since most years I do get a few handfuls of plums.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, blossom damage I would suspect, ..resulting in aborting fruit set. No black rot but a terrible outbreak with black knot in Chokecherries, due to wet conditions! One tree I cut out in spring 2 branches,...yesterday about 6 on the same tree!

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Ouch! Konrad, I am sorry to hear this. It certainly has not been an easy year!!!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks,..not so tragic, living in this province for close to 40 years
    and trying to grow a few fruits in our harsh environment,..you'll get pretty hardened off yourself, lol.

• mattpf (zone4)
    9 years ago

had lots of small plums on my royal lots of Cherries on western sand cherry and Evans ,this was before I went on holidays last week . Now this week there is almost nothing left. They were all marble sized looked very developed .

Birds maybe ? Or like what Konrad said probably to cold.
    My waneta was loaded most of them got to about a pea size than shrivelled up on the tree ? It was strange because it didn't drop them like the others but the fruits had only got half the size.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When pea size its most likely that either they weren't pollinated properly or the tree is still too young.

When marble size it's more like a cold period.

• mattpf (zone4)
    9 years ago

My Evans has like five cherries left . It's fruit are simply drying or falling off they are big marbles now ??? Cold weather for sure

• mattpf (zone4)
    9 years ago

Konrad I think I juiced them a bit to much last year maybe?
    I did give them fertilizer into September do you think this is why they bloomed so heavy but set nothing or dropped everything.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think so, ..if they bloomed, this means they survived the
    winter.

• don555
    9 years ago

I agree. But I'd still be careful with the fertilizer. I consider Evans kind of borderline hardy in zone 3 -- does fine most years but a tough winter can do a lot of damage. Probably best to have as little unripened wood as possible going into winter. I don't fertilize mine at all, though it might get a bit of kick from lawn fertilizer that I put on the grass once a year, in May.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I looked at pictures of my Evans cherry from this time last year and they were almost fully ripe (and the tree was loaded with berries). This year, sporadic fruiting and not anywhere near ready. My peonies just finished blooming too. Weird year.

• don555
    9 years ago

I picked my Evans on August 10. I would have really liked to have left them on the tree for another week but the birds had found them and each day there was more bird damage. So I picked them very soon after they were fully red, and left the unripe 10% or so on the tree, along with another 10% or so that were bird-damaged. The cherries did size-up as they turned red and the harvest was good for my small tree, but I really do wish I could have left them on a bit longer. Netting the tree seems like more effort than I'm prepared to make. Anyway, a couple pics:

{{gwi:122465}}

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice crop!

Mine look about like this, birds are not that interested,..still some
    wild Saskatoon in the bush and some choke cherry trees. Think another 10 day's or so,..and hopefully no hail! We've been lucky so far.

• cme1
    9 years ago

I had a beautiful crop from my Evans last year...this year hardly a fruit to be seen. I think it may have aquired brown rot :( I'll be cleaning things up this fall and spraying in the spring. The cold, weird, wet weather this summer in Ontario probably didn't help. I hope the tree isn't TOO sick, though, I'm quite attached to it. It was given to me by Dr. Evans himself!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW...given to you!
    I purchased one from him when he lived in Edmonton about 32 years ago,..it died about 6 years ago.

Brown rot is a common problem, we're still free from this horrible disease,...for how much longer, I don't know.

• cme1
    9 years ago

Yes, he invited me to give a talk to a horticultural society he was heavily involved in (lilies!) and was kind enough to offer to bring me to see his beautiful gardens and greenhouses, and showed me a freezer full of gorgeous red cherries. He told me they were his own hybrid and then proceeded to hand me a foot-long, twigless, leafless stick. He said, "Keep the roots wrapped in wet paper towel until you get it home," (I flew to Ontario a couple of days later!) "Stick it in the ground, water it a few times, and forget about it". I followed the directions and lo and behold, a few years later I had a 10 foot tall tree with gorgeous blooms, and a couple years after that - fruit! It's my favorite tree, and the cherries are divine. I hope I can bring it back to good health next spring!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good..hope it will will turn around for you!

Out of many trees,..about 1/5 has still good fruit set,..when they turn red and pop up in size,...all of a sudden you see that it's not all that bad.

Have some bird damage but not all that bad, I haven't seen birds in them but lots of Robins in my chokecherries.

Most are ready to pick and red flesh, ..I'll let them on another week.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, ..found out it wasn't bird damage, wasp/yellow jackets and bald faced hornets.

Have picked them all this weekend.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus