Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Old Roses: photos and observations

northspruce
9 years ago

Just posting some photos of my collection of old roses. I've had these from 2 years to 10+ years so there's a range of maturity. The Albas have this cute ugly duckling stage at 2 years where they have floppy little blooming canes around the bottom, with gigantic basal breaks coming up the middle. Good things to come.

My oldest and most beloved: Madame Plantier (Alba/Hybrid Noisette, 1835)
It lost its very tall leader cane this winter, but has grown out really nice and full over the years.

Bush shot:

Koenigen van Danemark (Alba, 1816)
This hasn't matured quickly for me at all, but the flowers are beautiful. The darkest pink Alba that I've seen. I don't even have a bush shot but it's not big at all. It did bloom this year but I took this last year.

Suaveloens (Alba, pre-1750)
The bush is a little comical, but it's put on good growth in one year and bloomed its little heart out so I have high hopes for it. Nice scent and it's supposed to set good hips.

Blanc de Coubert (Rugosa, 1893)
Reliable and nicely scented but I find the bush a little scraggly/messy. It's always the earliest bloomer.

Harison's Yellow (Hybrid Spinosissima, 1834)
Just a wee baby but it made me glad to see its blooms again after 8 years without. I had to leave a monster of this behind at my old house. I was so happy that I forgot to take a photo of its blooms...

Cardinal Richelieu (Gallica, pre-1847)
Love the flowers and colour on this, but the foliage has been skeletonized badly by something.

Mme Legras de St. Germaine (Alba, pre-1848)
This one has a lot of potential. The flowers are fairly large for an Alba.

Worst bush shot ever! I need to give it support next year, I think. Good vigour though and lots of flowers.

Chloris (Alba, pre-1815)
Chloris reminds me of a pink Madame Plantier. I like it a lot. It doesn't love the rain though, it wads up a bit.

The bush put out the most incredible 5' tall basal breaks last fall, and they didn't die over the winter. It's hard to even see where it is in this photo, but the plant is going to be really big one day. Half of it is on the obelisk and the other half doesn't want to be.

Great Maiden's Blush (Alba, pre-1400)
Fantastic dense shrub, and lots of growth in one year.

(oh look, my weigela is alive after all!)

Rosa Gallica Versicolor (Gallica, pre-1518)
I have a love/hate relationship with this. It creeps all over my garden (ALL over) and most of it has reverted to the stripeless Apothecary Rose. It's still a nice pop of colour though, and never stingy.

Same plant, reverted to solid

Celestial and Fantin Latour win "also ran". Neither bloomed this year - Celestial was hit really hard by the winter and is growing back nicely but won't bloom. Fantin Latour might be in a bit too shady spot. It's healthy but small and no blooms either.
At least Celestial has nice foliage.

Comments (9)

• ostrich
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! Northspruce, you have so many lovely roses! The first one even looks like a peony, esp. with the gorgeous buds with the little red/pink edge! Very nice indeed.

You must have quite a big property to be able to have all of these beauties.... :-)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Nice North. I love the pics of the whole bush. Are you finding these all cane hardy or are they dying back on you?

• northspruce
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. My yard is just a big city yard. I think it's a triple lot.

I didn't especially want to post the babies' bush shots because they're not awesome yet, but it was for information's sake.

These are more or less cane hardy. Most of the Albas are flexible and thornless, so I squash them down with leaves and burlap and they have no dieback. Celestial is rigid and a little prickly so I pack leaves around it and wrap it up. This past winter (the worst in 160 years) knocked it back a lot. It used to be quite big. It still has at least 10 canes and it's coming back fast though, so it'll be nice again next year.

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

Nice photos northspruce...I must say that our taste in roses is very similar...albas and gallicas.

Flexible canes...as you have stated...make wintering a whole lot easier.

Spinosissimas I could not do without and don't need winter protection in my area.

Like your experience, my Mdm Plantier has been a favorite also...photo attached

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

That's so pretty! My white roses never look that gorgeous - there's always some dead ones that make them look yucky!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful shot of Mme P, Rosecavalier!

• ostrich
    9 years ago

rosecavalier, that is a stunning photo! Thanks.

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

If you can get those Old Garden Roses to 10yrs of age...with no significant winter dieback...(and that's quite a challenge...something like running a dairy)...you will be rewarded.

Albas are well suited for a long dormancy...gallicas, in my experience, build to be quite large, peak with a great show, and then dieback...or need to be pruned back...and you start over with new basal shoots...but at least the root system has been established...still worth the effort.

Yes, Marcia, Madame Plantier does have the habit of not dropping it's petals...drying on the branch...not the case in the photo below

alba semi plena (White rose of York)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Very, very nice. I can't wait to see mine grow to that size.

Speaking of size can you tell me how big yours are? I am trying not to crowd.

Thanks.

SCG