Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black bug/beetle with red stripe ?

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 20:42

I have some black insects, about the size of a deer tick, that have a red stripe right down the middle of it's back. It also looks like there's maybe a small amount of red on the rear end. So far I'm only finding them climbing the house.....

does anyone know what they might be, and if they're harmful or good?

Pudge suggested a maple bug, but unfortunately I hadn't given a very good description because I know that's not what they are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black bug/beetle with red stripe ?

Maybe ladybug larvae?

o

I was looking for this too and I think it's called Boxelder Bugs and Red-Shouldered Bugs. I've had an issue with them this year too and can't seem to get rid of the pests.

o

Where are you from Danielle? If you're from Canada, there's information on

pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/box_elder_bugs.htm

The only thing I've ever called a boxelder bug, is a maple bug, and that's not the insects that I had. Fortunately, I never found them on my plants and whatever they were, they didn't come back this year.

o

So they weren't ladybug larvae?

o

Northspruce. No they weren't. I wish they had been. The more of the ladies the better.

I never did find them lurking on any of the plants, just on the outside of the house, and I didn't have them last year.

I've ordered a Rodale's book called The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control, and it apparently has pictures of insects, so if I'm lucky I'll be able to identify it just for curiosity sake now.

Oh, BTW, was it you that suggested the book Caring for Perennials - What to Do and When to Do It? I have it on order =:) If I keep this up we're going to need another room in the house.

o

www.bugguide.net is the best website EVER but it's time consuming to find anything, especially without the varmint in front of you.

Wasn't me who suggested the book but it sounds good! Enjoy.

o

Seems I forgot about this question from 2009.

Thanks for the website. I looked at hundreds of beetles, etc., and still haven't found it.

Great website to keep on my list though =:) Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here