Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nagoonberries (Arctic Raspberries)

Posted by djbrun none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 20:47

I have a great healthy border of nagoonberries (wild) that have cute pink flowers, but I've never gotten a berry. I know they aren't big fruit producers, but I expected at least a handfull of berries by fall. They are next to borage and see plenty of bee action. Tomatoes and squash in pots nearby get fertilized as do the blueberries. Why no berries?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nagoonberries (Arctic Raspberries)

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 11:59

I'm just guessing that your yard is not a highly-acidic, boggy, swampy area. I'm growing them in my yard, too, and although they are perfectly happy as to blooming and spreading, I would be shocked if I ever got a berry.
There are all kinds of plants that bloom, and have lots of fertilization available, but don't fruit. Take tomatoes, for instance...nights can't be too cold, days can't be too warm. Some plants have to have the perfect amount of sun...not too much, not too little. So something in the natural habitat is what allows the nagoonberry to fruit, but whether it's the moisture, the high acidity of the ground, or something else, I don't know. This year, I transplanted mine from the nursery bed to under the roses and peonies. I'll be happy with them just blooming brightly in the spring, filling in until the other plants take over a few weeks later.

o

Yes, there is just allot we don't really know why. I one's had a
mushroom growing bug in me and grew allot of Oyster and Shiitake mushrooms. I found out that some other fancy mushrooms can not be cultivated because of other factors
which can not be mimicked, some of them only fruit when they grow within one or more species of trees, the root system of these trees makes it possible.

o

Do you only have 1 variety? Maybe you need a pollinator. Bingo.

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 16:34

I never heard of these, so had to look them up.
Description is very attractive to me...wonder if they would grow in Ontario.
Really like idea of fruit-bearing 'groundcover'. And pretty flowers too.

From what I found, they need pollinator, and acidic & bog-like ground to grow & fruit. A nursery in US was offering 3 different varieties.

Rina

o

Are these berries related to the Dewberry. ? They look so much alike on the pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here