Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

A very good yellow rose ...

FrozeBudd_z3/4
14 years ago

I've observed this rose for several years now and this season it's really come into its own, I'm rather awestruck! The beautiful yellow blooms are fragrant and long lasting and stand up well to the rain. These are displayed on a very healthy shrub with large lush foliage, repeat bloom is quick. Some who have seen this rose are prompting for its release ... which I really hope will come ...

I have yet to come up with a name, any suggestions?

{{gwi:764616}}

Terry

Comments (49)

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Save me one!!

The colour reminds me of a hair ribbon I had when I was little... the name that sprung to my mind was Satin Bows. Don't know if you like that but it's not registered.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

Why you do this to me? Why? :)

• celtic_07
    14 years ago

Outstanding Terry--- Well if we're going to be waiting in line-- Sign me up please, if it will survive here. I like the name Gil.
    Lois

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Beautiful rose. Yellow roses are my favorite

This rose puts me in mind of one of my favorite desserts.
    Lemon pie filling mixed with marangue. I don't over mix so it has the yellow of the pie filling and the creamy white of the partly mixed marangue.

It's called LEMON CHIFFON and that's my name for your rose.
    I don't know how yoi search to see if it's taken or not

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Terry! I would love a rose called Darius or Allison (though i have Topaz Jewel for my Allison whose birthday is in November). Darius is my granddaughter, and she loves flowers!

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

Wow, Terry, that's fabulous. Way to go.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Northspruce ... if things go ahead, you'll be able to obtain this rose, I hope sooner than later.

Shazam, I'm doing this for you and all others here on the frozen prairie tundra and beyond.

As for the name, I'm thinking along the lines of something that gives suggestion to the yellow color and prairie heritage ...

Terry

• maggiepie_gw
    14 years ago

Your rose is beautiful, Terry.
    Savanna Sunshine?
    Prairie Gold, Prairie Sunshine.
    Not so easy to think of a name.

• flowerpwr45
    14 years ago

Awestruck!

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

It's beautiful. Will you be selling them. How about Prairie Magic for a name ?

• Joan Dupuis
    14 years ago

Terry it's beautiful. Sounds like it has everything a rose lover is looking for, hardiness, good repeat, pretty HT form, healthy and a beautiful yellow. Put me on your waiting list too, even though I'm not as far north as you... it's darn cold here in winters. I can't think of a suitable name, but I like Northspruce's name.

It's been rainy and cool here again this week...although forecasting a few hotter days starting tomorrow. My clems were just bursting with color when a got home. The roses looked pretty messy though, all brown from all the rain we've had over the last month.

Keep us up-date with all your seedlings.

• leo_prairie_view
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Is it cane hardy or only crown hardy? It may be only me but names are important. Take"Yellow Submarine" a nice rose but the name doesn't fit in my garden or my way of thinking about roses. Here is a link to the Rose Hybidizes Association form that you probably have seen but may be a help.
    http://www.rosehybridizers.org/forummessage.php?topid=16264#16267
    A name like 'Alberta Glory' sounds appealing to me. I am sure I can ]find space for one more rose when it is as beautiful as that.
    Leo

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Leo, it had come through last winter with a substantial amount of live wood, though we really did have good snowcovering, it is yet to be fully tested for hardiness ... though, even if it dies right back it'll bounces back and bloom repeatedly on new wood.

'Alberta Glory', that's definitely more along the lines as to what I was thinking, I quite like that actually :)

Terry

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

Whooo now, that's gorgeous!

• dannie
    14 years ago

That rose is stunning! How big does it grow? I like Alberta Glory myself.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    14 years ago

WOW, gorgeous! Alberta Glory is a great name, I like it.

Standing in line for one! :)

14 years ago

Maybe Terry will send us all free samples! :>

• savona
    14 years ago

It is a beautiful rose and deserves a beautiful name to go with it..Jean

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dannie, the mature height of this yellow rose is yet to be determined, that will depend upon climate ... in zone 4 and above it'll retain all its wood throughout the winter, colder areas it's crown hardy. Since it flowers on new wood and repeats quickly, even after a hard winter it'll bounce back. Right now the plant is about 3' tall and bushy. If all goes well, you guys will be able to try it for yourself, that's my plan anyways.

Here's another one I'm really liking ...

14 years ago

That one is so pretty! I love them both!

How about an Alberta theme for your roses? That one can be Alberta Sunrise. :)

• sazzyrose
    14 years ago

Lovely Terry.
    That is the one I wanted to see.
    How about Alberta Sunshine and Alberta Sunset for names.

Shelley

• celtic_07
    14 years ago

Terry- what fantastic roses!!! How long have you been at this - the roses ? do you do this on your own? do you do other plants as well? I just love the colours of them both.
    Shelley both names are good. I have Morden sunrise and topaz jewel and would love to add these to them when they're avaliable. Keep up the great work Terry
    Take care Lois

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Alberta / Canadian theme is what I shall keep in mind when selecting names.

Hi Lois, thank you for your comments. Tt was a good fifteen years back when I had done my first rose crosses, I had some awesome seedling come forth when using 'Morden Sunrise' ... though, that following winter was snowless and inexperienced Terry had not planted the seedlings deep enough, all were lost, this was not a testiment to their hardiness, though rather to the unfavorable winter conditions. Yes, this is something I do on my own, though it briefly had been discussed hooking up with a facility that would give space and assistance to further along such work, though at this point in time, I don't know if I wish to take things that far. Generally, each spring I set out hundreds of seedlings and out of this only a few will prove to be rather outstanding, though many will be acceptable as keepers within my own garden, the rest are either qickly or slowly winnowed out.

These are the first blooms of rich pure yellow, hopefully form will become better as the plant becomes established.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The above message posted before I was finished with it, computer glitch.

I hope this new yellow will prove to be good ...

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's another new one ... very nice sunset colors and fragrance.

Lois, yes, I do breed other plants, I've done some work with large flowered clematis and also raspberries of all things. Most of the clematis seedlings have yet to come into bloom, though I've been pleased with some of the raspberry hybrids :)

• debbie_z2
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness Terry, your roses are fabulous!!! Love them all! Can't wait to see them on the market!
    wow...just beautiful!
    Debbie

• User
    14 years ago

Terry,

I agree with everyone. The roses are stunning! The first one reminds me of the noonday sun, and the pink, and pink-yellow ones, of the dawning sun on the clouds here in Calgary. We get some awe-inspiring sunrises here, the like of which I have never seen in Edmonton, or NE Alberta. It must be wonderful to see these colours in your roses, knowing they won't be gone within the next two minutes! Keep up the good work!

• celtic_07
    14 years ago

Terry I greatly admire your devotion and tremendous efforts you have gone to --a true labour of love!Your last photo reminds me of the sunsets we have here over the lake , and make me think of the saying "red sky at nite sailors delight' even thro they're pinks and yellows.
    Take care Lois

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really appreciate the kind remarks from you all, kinda makes me feel good. Yes, breeding roses is plenty of work and has many challenges, mostly that of disease problems ... so, the really good ones that come along are few and far between, that's why I have to plant hundreds!

I am rather pleased with this sunset colored rose, the blooms are long lasting and fragrant.

Terry

• Joan Dupuis
    14 years ago

Great roses. Mine have done terrible this year. Not sure if it's all the rain or not. The leaves on many have turned yellow and fell off. They are getting new leaves and some are flowering again, but not the continuous blooms I had last year. More pics please. Love looking at your new roses.

• hykue Zone 7 Vanc. Island
    14 years ago

These are great! Many of the names suggested so far are very good . . . and it's such a personal thing. I liked Alberta Glory really well for a minute, but then it made me think of the oil boom (always followed by the bust), because that's when Alberta is in its glory (I'm an Alberta girl originally). Still a good name, just not for me. Prairie Sunshine seemed really close to me, but a little cute, maybe? Prairie Sun? Too stark?

And for the second one, I like Alberta Sunrise. On the same theme, I also like Alberta Dawn.

Someday, I'll get to the point of planting roses in my garden (it's still only year one), and when I do, these look like fine candidates.

Thanks for sharing!

• lilies_and_roses
    14 years ago

Terry,

Your roses are fantastic! And from an Alberta- girl, your proposed names are too cool! Kudos to you!

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Do you have an update for us on this beautiful yellow rose, please?

12 years ago

Oh, what a way to wake up this morning! Yes, Terry, we need updates (and roses!).

Thanks, Lynn, for bringing this thread up!

• luckygal
    12 years ago

All three are incredibly lovely but that last one is even more beautiful! I'd love to have all three in my garden. I think including Alberta in their names would be great even tho I'm not from there. Alberta Sunshine, Alberta Sunrise or Dawn, and Alberta Sunset are all good names as previously mentioned.

• TanlineTracey
    10 years ago

These are all so beautiful:) wondering what has come of them?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Methinks the same. Wife and I were just talking about a few roses bushes. Are they available?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I've received very good positive feedback regarding my yellow rose shown at the top of this thread, though it is not commercially available. All others have performed well in my garden, though the very double salmon rose has been culled.

The below rose I've found to be most desirable and is undergoing testing in Ontario. I've continued to focus on the development of the new roses and will post photos of the best of them as they grow and mature in my garden.

Terrance

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

She is beautiful, Terry! Have you named her?

Ginny

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Terry,

If you don't have someone to do test trials for you in this zone I am sure I can make room. :)

BTW. What do you have available? Wife now insists I plant some roses.

Thanks SCG

• ostrich
    10 years ago

Terrance, that is absolutely stunning!!! How big are those blooms and are they fragrant!? Lovely, just lovely!!!

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

I cannot WAIT until I can buy some of your roses..they are unbelievably stunning. I just haven't really seen the like way up north here. Thank you for all your work!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't given official registered names to my roses, though some have "garden" assigned names. I continue to concentrate on the development of new roses and working towards building up a good number with very desirable traits, health and hardiness being paramount. Unfortunately, it appears they might just only remain within my garden, as it has been challenging to make the necessary connections to take them onto possible release. Although, I'd truly love to spread these roses around for everyone's full enjoyment, I'd first need to secure a propagation contract.

Ostrich, the blooms of that last rose shown are of good size for a floribunda style rose. This selection repeats very quickly and is an excellent choice for prairie growing conditions, as it actually responds best when hard pruned.

Thanks Weeper ... I do hope to get some of these roses made available, though for now, I keep moving forward with my hybridization work and eagerly await the new generation of blooms :)

Terrance

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi- a suggestion about naming: when going through branding/marketing processes (and if you ever plan to sell these, that's sort of what you're going through- if you never plan to sell your roses, disregard), you need to ask-
    1. Who are the people I need to reach to meet my goals (in this case, selling roses)
    2. Where do they live, what are their values?
    3. What is the way to their heart?

Are these roses zone-3 hardy? If so, I suggest those are the people you need to reach to meet your goals. Remember that there are rose-hungry people in Zone 3 outside Alberta and Canada. Northern US and Scandinavia and increasingly Russia are markets for zone 3 roses. You need names that resonate with them. (Though you do have the option of different trade names that work in French, say, or Danish or Russian, depending on how you're distributing the roses).

All that to say that if we look back at the history of hardy roses, you see a history of narrow naming practices. Who is Louis Riel to somebody in Minnesota? Who is Martin Frobisher to a Dane?

Anyway. I realize that a rose by any other name smells as sweet. And your roses are very beautiful- they may have a market outside the cold-winter gardener. I'm sorry to hear you're not having much luck making connections. From what I understand the whole industry is in a tough place right now. Brad Jalbert in Langley seems to be making some breakthroughs in marketing his roses abroad.

I wish you luck.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

donaldvancouver ... you give excellent food for thought and I much appreciate the issues and concerns you've mentioned, very good points to ponder! As for hardiness, yes, these roses have been developed for zone 3 and should also have no problem in zone 2. As for getting them marketed, whether or not that shall occur, I'm happy to continue to go forward with hybridization and building up my number of selections, itâÂÂs fun and exciting for myself and I enjoy the comments and smiles it brings to the faces of others.

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Tworosz- You're welcome and I'm very glad to hear that your successes are bringing joy to you and others. That is the whole point of having roses, isn't it?
    I am going to say, also, that if you have a fully double yellow rose that has nice form, holds its colour, is hardy to zone 2-3 and resists blackspot, I think you really have something. I'm not saying you're sitting on a gold mine (because no independent breeders seem to be making any money these days) but you are sitting on something that could bring a lot of joy to a lot of people. Has Palatine had a chance to test this rose? I don't know anybody there but I'm just saying.
    don

• Brandon_Calgary_Z3
    8 years ago

Just come across this topic. Any update to them roses? Are they commercialized now?

8 years ago

Thanks for reviving this, Brandon. Terry? I've loved looking at these again!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!