Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxtail Lily

Posted by debbiecz3 z3MB (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 21:08

Anyone in 2b or 3 have any success with these? Rated a zone 5, maybe they would tolerate a very sheltered spot with a good mulch for the winter? I know they need a very well drained soil; clay would definately need to be amended. Would love to give them a try.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxtail Lily

Yup, I've had 'Cleopatra' for about 6 or 7 years now. It's on the south side of the house under the eave, so it doesn't get any additional watering at all. I've got heavy clay soil and I'm pretty sure that I didn't amend the soil when I planted it there because I knew it wouldn't be a wet area there at all. It's blooming now, but it's nothing like it was last year for some reason(maybe due to the harsh winter we had?), as it's only got one blooming stem and it's only about a foot tall. I hope it's not in decline, because it really is a cool looking plant.

Here it is from last summer when it really put on a show with 5 blooming stems.
Foxtail Lily \'Cleopatra\'

o

Laurie, I sure hope mine makes it after seeing your photos of your plant!

I ordered four bare roots late last fall from Veseys that were 1/2 price. I overwintered them in the pumphouse and planted them out early this spring. So far so good, will see next spring ;)

Sharon

o

Wow Laurie, that looks great! Thanks for enabling me, for sure I need to give it a try.

o

Always glad to enable, Deb!lol It's definitely worth a try because it really is an unusual looking plant.

Sharon, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Was it Cleopatra that you ordered, or another variety? I wouldn't mind trying a different colour, but space on the south side of the house is at a premium now, and I doubt I could squeeze another one in there.:(

o

I got four good size roots of Eremurus bungei, bright yellow Foxtail Lily for $5.00, hopefully they will look like these some day ;)

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Eremurus bungei

o

I've been eying them up for a long time and was thinking that i have one garden that definitely could be good for zone pushing. These were on my list, coincidentally, with anemones as well! :)

o

Marcia, if you've got a good area for them, then go for it! Anenomes would also be lovely.....;0)

Sharon, those sure are a bright yellow. People will see those for miles! I'm glad to also read on there that they can be left for 10-15 years without needing dividing, so hopefully mine are just having a bad year and will re-bound next year.

o

Vesey's has them on in their bargain area, so i was thinking about getting some. The bed is on the southwest and bordered by the porch on one side and the house on the other. It was supposed to be my zone-pushing bed, but i ended up throwing hollyhocks, lupines and rudbeckia in there because i had no other place for them. But i think i might be able to squeeze in something else. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here