Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

New bed: tilling?

northspruce
14 years ago

I'm new to this, I always used to dig beds with a spade and shake the dirt out of the grass manually, but now I'm too old/lazy and don't have enough time. So today I edged out a big new bed and soaked er with herbicide. I'm waiting anxiously for the grass to die. There was also a lot of Creeping Charlie and Yarrow, I hope it gets killed off too.

So would you dig it over after everything's dead, or just plant straight in? I don't know if I trust the roots to be killed. I would hate to plant stuff and then have grass and yarrow popping back up. Oh also how long do I wait before the pU dnuoR is broken down? (spelled pU dnuoR backwards to prevent the "search and nag" function some environmentalists use)

Comments (13)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I think Sharon has said in the past to wait a couple of weeks. Most of my beds have been lasagned. Not that it has helped me with the weeds - i'm finding that out. But it really makes for a nice soil and easy planting.

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

I've done this a few times. I wait until the grass etc is dead (yellow) so that I know I haven't missed anywhere - usually about 10 days. Then I just planted straight in - dug holes where I wanted them and left the rest. Eventually the rest got mulched and you cannot tell that there's dead sod underneath. The sod breaks down after a year or so. I did this for a shrub bed and a couple of areas where I extended the beds. I will never dig sod again. And if at all possible, RUp is my preferred method of weeding, too.

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

You don't have to dig or till after Gil, this is the beauty of no till/ lagasna gardening. Yup, the sod will break down.

LOL > pU dnuoR, you are a very smart cookie ;)

How soon do you need this bed, are you in a rush or are you making a new bed for next year. #1 goal is to get all the weeds out first before planting, otherwise you'll be sorry once you start planting plants in there.

I myself will take a whole season to make a no till bed ;)

I will give 2-3, sometimes 4 pU dnuoR application making sure every bit of grass blade and weed is dead, wait at least 7-10 days between applications. I use Super Concentrate and it says weeds usually begin to wilt within two to four days, with complete kill in one to two weeks. All ornamental flowers, trees and shrubs may be planted one day after application.

If your soil is very hard and clay, its best to add aged manure, compost, organic matter as well, but you knew that ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the RU particulars. I'm not desperate to start using the bed but I can't have it sitting around looking like a lasagne for months because it's right in the front yard.

My old yard was clay but the soil here is fantastic, it's silty loam and very clean to work in and quick draining. A little leaner than I'm used to though, I'm spending more money on fertilizer.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK so I sprayed it almost 2 weeks ago, and it's almost all brown and dead now. There are a few green Creeping Charlie leaves, I guess they need another shot. But now I have a thick thatch of dead grass. What do I do with that? I still feel like I should till it.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

I also am planning new beds in an existing lawn and am planning on using a sod cutter and then rototilling with compost, sand and a garden mix to enrich the soil. These beds will be used for shrubs and perennials as well aa my irises. I hope it works. Love the lasagna method but unfortunately do not have time.......or patience.....

Ginny

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

When you till, you just bring up all the dormant weeds seeds up to the surface and will have to RU all over again ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm thinking of burning the thatch off...

(this is where someone should try to stop me)

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

gasoline or propane? LOL

the thatch will eventually break down, all those wonderful worms will come to the surface and do their job ;)

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

Blowtorch, Gil, blowtorch. :>

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sweet nobody stopped me, I'm going to do it.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eek so I did it, it burned nicely (with the hose on standby) but now I have ugly black thatch that is still almost as thick. I didn't burn right down. I'm thinking a thick top dressing of composted manure now and plant right in...

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

LOL, you crazy nut ;)