Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Oh no, it happened..

Yeahp, a four legged slug got into my yard and nearly defoliated an incredible amount of plants. My only real concern are my roses and wonder how I should deal with them. Should I cut the canes back to the remaining foliage or just leave them? Especially since they are all so young.

A Super depressed,

SCG

Comments (5)

• don555
    9 years ago

LOL, took me a few seconds, I was wondering what kind of slug could defoliate so multiple plants before it was noticed.... then, oh, a deer (or rabbit?), haha.

I'd be tempted to leave the plants to regenerate but I can't see them of course so that's an uneducated guess. I'd be more worried about making sure the visitor kept away!

• ostrich
    9 years ago

OH NO!!!!

SCG, I used to have half an acre backing onto the ravine before I moved to Calgary, and while I really loved the property, the Bambi family outings always got my blood boiling when they enjoyed the "all you can eat" salad bar in my backyard!!! So I know how you feel!!!

Now, with my postage stamp backyard in Calgary, it is all fenced in, I must say that at least I don't get visits by the Bambi family anymore! What a relief....

Now, if only Mr. Bunny would stay away from my poor hostas in the front yard....

Anyway, I feel your pain, man!!!

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Oh, those danged 4-legged slugs! I have too much experience with them. Love them like all wildlife but really hate what they did to my garden. They are not good pruners!

I would probably leave the roses for now so they have enough leaves to stay healthy. They are still growing a root system and need foliage for that. You could cut the ends where the deer chomped cleanly with a clean pruner back to an outer facing leaf node and gradually over the next month prune other branches so they regain a nice shape. Even cutting a bouquet of roses for the house is pruning. Stop pruning by end of August then prune again after danger of frost in the spring if needed. At least that's what I'd do altho I'm not a rose expert. Give them some alfalfa tea to help them along, again only until the end of August.

Start saving your pennies for a deer proof fence, it's the best way to keep them out.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all.

Don I am concerned because some roses lost about 80-90% of foliage. I can provide a pic later. Also keep in mind they where all bareroots this spring.

Stupid thing was I had the stuff to get a fence up to ten feet just never had time. I am making the dogs sleep outside till I get the fence done.

Isn't it funny how they walk by plants that you would let them prune and get the ones you really want. There goes my chances at cantaloupe again this year.

Bah, only good thing was it nonchalantly bit my Stanwell Perpetual and spit the piece out!

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

We live in a rather heavily forested rural area and have been super pleased with the Scarecrow Sprinkler for keeping our garden under patrol. We do not have a fence and these devices have pretty much worked like a charm. Only drawbacks are forgetting to shut them off before entering the garden and then getting blasted with water, lol. They're motion activated and work both night and day, so seldom have we had any nasty surprises come morning. Only problem is that wind will set them off, as it detects the movement of large plants, shrubs and trees, but there's a knob to adjust the sensitivity level. We've had ours for seven years and two of the three units still work just fine. Use a good quality 9 volt battery and it will last the entire gardening season even with having been activated hundreds of times by animals, humans and the wind. Kids love them and even some childish adults will have their fun, lol. Mount them up a bit higher and focus the scan area downward and you'll get a large coverage area as long as it has an unobstructed view, large yards would require several units and it's a bit of a headache having hoses tied up for the purpose. Do not turn the tap up full blast otherwise the pressure in the hose could become too high and cause a major leak. Users usually give this product an excellent rating, as we do, though build that fence and you'll solve the problem altogether. Boy, that just sounded like a commercial, lol.