Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooked roses anyone?

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 22:32

My roses are just finishing their June-July flush and the last half literally cooked on the plants. We've been having a fairly long heat wave and a lot of my buds went brown without opening. My new Queen of Denmark surprised me with a couple of blooms (yay) but they got cooked too. Looked like they'd been in the veggie steamer. The temperatures have been in the 30s for days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooked roses anyone?

Well that's a crappy thing to happen !

My roses are blooming their faces off, as it's their third year, so they're getting nicely established. One of the Schubert chokecherry trees that I dislike is starting to shade them a little bit, so maybe that's a good thing in this heat wave.

It's extremely humid here today, so I wonder what will happen to my roses now. =:(

I need to look up Queen of Denmark roses. I don't know what they look like........

o

Queen of Denmark is one of the ones I bought from Corn Hill this spring, it's actually Koenig von Danemark. It was so cool to get all these naked little forked sticks, plant them, watch leaves magically appear, and then one of the little forked sticks surprised me with two buds. I never thought bareroot once-bloomers would give me flowers the first year. :)

Maybe the second bud won't cook. But I doubt it, it's still hot.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 15:45

My weather complaint usually is the weather is too cool, too wet or unexpected frosts. I've never had to worry about cooking the blooms on my roses.A person can always hope it cools off and your roses will recover to give you late blooms.Q of D might have wood old enough to give you a few more blooms in the fall...Jean

o

Yeah, some of my buds cooked before opening too...mainly just my new roses that I put in this year, and only certain ones. My Hope for Humanity, for instance, is blooming fine and it's new. My Marie-Victorin, however, has LOTS of cooked blooms. I'm guessing it must prefer cooler temps, or maybe even some afternoon shade. It keeps trying, though! My J.P. Connell is having it's second flush fine. My Emily Carr and Morden Blush don't seem to be troubled, and of course, Prairie Peace couldn't care less if it is hot, cold or a wind storm!

I'm hoping that we won't have these temperatures for the rest of July...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here