Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vegetables in 60 days

Posted by love2b_home 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 22:45

Two gardens just opened up for my use, and I could sure use advice on veggies to plant. Soil is good. 1 garden (12 x 25) is shade to mid day; 1 garden (10 x 15) sun all day. I figure 60 days to freeze, so would appreciate any ideas. I can water once a day, about 20 min. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vegetables in 60 days

Radishes
Lettuce in shade
Spinach
Rutabaga
Turnip
Carrots
Beans

Both beans and carrots should be fine even after a frost.

I never let lettuce mature. It's harvestable even after 30 days.

o

I seldom have luck with summer-started radishes, but maybe they might do okay in the shaded garden. If you can find seedlings still, cole crops would mature for you, i'm sure - broccoli, especially, and cabbage. You could also plant kohlrabi seeds now and harvest in a couple of months.

o

Romaine lettuce will tolerate a few frosts in the fall and I'm always eating it first.
Maybe you could find some onion sets and at least you'd have green onions to eat fresh, but they won't likely get big enough to store.

o

Even things like beets and swiss chard might produce enough to eat in the early fall.

o

Ooh, beet greens are always good.

You can always plant spring onion seeds.

I make kimchi with radishes - even with the really pungent summer ones, the fermentation makes them mellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here