Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub for Low-lying wet area

Posted by debbiecz3 z3MB (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 22:56

I would like to plant a shrub in an area of my yard which is low-lying and retains water in times of heavy rainfall- which in this year's case is most of the season! I am having a hard time making a decision and wonder if forum members might give me some guidance. Shrubs I am considering are: Limelight Hydrangea, Dogwood (Love the look of pagoda dogwood but it may be too big and not hardy enough; Silver Leaf Dogwood, Red Osier Dogwood, Tiger Eyes Sumac (again not sure about hardiness), Amur Maple. Can these plants tolerate standing water for a period of time not usually more than a few days unless the monsoons continue to come? Any other suggestions for shrubs? Your comments will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub for Low-lying wet area

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 9:52

Have you considered a willow? The Dwarf Arctic willow is a nice blue/green shrub that prefers moist soil. It only gets 3-4' high and wide. I have the Japanese willow Hakura Nishiki that looks wonderful with its variegated foliage. It can reach 4-5' tall and wide. I also have the red twig dogwood that sits in water after a heavy rainfall. Doesn't seem to hurt it a bit. I love the red stems in the winter. Marg
Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here