Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

What Have You Rescued Lately?

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

O.K. I confess. I did a bad/good thing, depending on how you look at it.

I bought a Bridal Wreath Spirea today. It was half price and looking pretty sad. I couldn't leave it there.

I also bought a Royal Candles Veronica Speedwell. It looks at least half dead. ( or maybe the growth is a weed?) I couldn't leave it behind either, even though it wasn't on sale. Hmmm. It should have been. I've been keeping my eye out for one and it's the only one I've found. Another reason I couldn't leave it there.

I also bought 12 red impatiens. I knew that if someone didn't buy them, they'd just sit there and die.

Someone needs to stop me from going to places that sell plants. LOL !

Comments (16)

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

Why?

• fillagirl
    13 years ago

OK, I bought a daylily from a grocery store the other day. It doesn't even specifiy the name of the daylily, just a photo of a pink daylily......I thought, well..pink might be nice....

I saw a bridal wreath spirea that I nearly rescued too, but I'm running out of room.

• trisha_51
    13 years ago

I love bridal wreath spirea! Just hope you have room for them. :)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marric, I assume you're asking why someone needs to stop me. =:)

Well I've been known to buy many things without having a clue where to put them. I sometimes do some research, but often make decisions on the spot. In the last couple of days, I've offered people daylilies, and given away a shrub that I just don't have a spot in enough sunlight for. So what do I do? I just bought another shrub, three trees, and three perennials. Everything just looks so beautiful, I want to try everything. I've even asked people if they'll need plants in two years when mine will need dividing! Ha! Ha! LOL ! =:) There's lots of people like me, right?

Boy, long answer to " Why? "

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I actually did find a really nice spot for my Bridal Wreath Spirea. I planted it this afternoon. Hmmm. The variagated lilac I bought last year is still in a pot. Where I wanted to plant it turned out to have incredibly bad drainage. I hope a friend isn't going to have to "rescue" it from me ! =:)

• schoolb1
    13 years ago

O.K.When I lived in Wa I bought an almost dead laceleaf japanese maple for 20.00.It turned out to be the focal point of the whole front yard.I think it loved me because I didn't let it die,lol, Judy

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Bridal Wreath Spireas are surprisingly tolerant of different light conditions. At my old house there was one underneath a mock orange at the north side of the house and they both did fine. But, they do get really big and you CAN'T prune them or they will look horrid. Just ask the formerly lightbulb-shaped one in my front yard. I didn't even know it was BW until I forgot to prune it one year.

I haven't rescued anything lately except some seedlings I started in May and didn't get around to planting. I only have 3 pots of Jacob's Ladder left to plant... I don't know why I'm so industrious in the garden yet too lazy to plant things I acquired.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

The other day I picked up a couple of Dales Strain heuchera for $1.50 each. Maybe at that price I should have gotten more! I've seen them in a hosta bed before and it looked spectacular. I'm hoping mine will look just as good. Now to look for more buys.
    Nutsaboutflowers: people can never have enough flowers. We buy what we want and make room til we find something we like better - at least I do. Marg

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

I rescued a chipmunk. Does that count?

• garden_chicken
    13 years ago

Bonus points for rescuing a chipmunk! (Can you elaborate??)

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Aww chippies melt my heart. We have one in our front lawn.

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Well I found him on the cement walk stiff as a board but when I touched him he moved a wee bit. So I brought him in and covered him up to warm and he slowly started moving a bit more. Then I picked him up and the ungrateful little bugger tried to bite me. Took him to a vet clinic who sent him off to animal rescue.I also fed him a bit of sugar water to give him a bit of energy. It was a baby so he needed more help than I could give him. I presume he made as he seemed to recover quite quickly.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I rescued a threadleaf coreopsis from Extra Foods today. Usually i have no luck with coreopsis, but for $1.97 it doesn't matter if i murder it!

• glen3a
    13 years ago

I purchased Bridal Wreath spirea, a coralberry, lemoine lilac for $5 each (two gallon pots). That combined with a northern catalpa I started from seed a few years ago, was a cheap way to re-do the front yard.

They all need some tender loving care.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Bought a fernleaf peony for $10, regular $80. Pretty sad looking but I think only a direct strike from a nuclear missile can kill peonies.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Glen, is your catalpa doing okay? I started one from seed too, but it never leafed out this year, and i guess it's toast. :(