Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First Leaf Miners

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 23:03

It looks like my Blizzard Mock Orange may have leaf miners on two of the leaves. I've never had them before on anything.

One of the pest websites I've looked at, says to just remove the leaves. Will that be enough?

I hope I don't have to use chemicals. I do pretty much everything I can to prevent their use.

BTW My mock orange smells heavenly =:) Thanks Northspruce!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First Leaf Miners

Yeah, they're a pretty minor pest and removing the leaves should be enough. Also remove any leaves that have their eggs. They are tiny, cylindrical, white, laid in neat parallel rows on the undersides of the leaves, like an army formation. They look similar to hoverfly eggs (a beneficial) but hoverfly eggs are a bit larger and laid singly.

o

I've always just ignored them. Never a huge deal in my garden. You're welcome about the mock orange, mine are blooming right now too. :0)

Off topic: I have quite a few spittlebugs around this year which is odd because I used to see them only very rarely.

o

Thanks Slimy Okra. Nice handle BTW. I'll remove the leaves tomorrow and try to look for eggs. I'm always afraid I'm going to destroy eggs of something beneficial, though.

Hey, Northspruce, I looked up spittlebugs. I've had those spitty things occasionally and didn't know what they were. My second lesson for the day. Leaf miner eggs and spittlebugs. Ain't life grand =:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here