Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone id this plant?

Posted by newbiegardenerinwpg (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 23:45

I have just bought my first house and the gardens are a little neglected in places with weeds and overgrowth in areas. The previous owner was only there a couple of years but owner before that LOVED her garden and the perennials are all hers.

Anyway the whole gardening thing is new to me. I am falling hard though. I am probably making tons of mistakes as i am learning. This forum is great .

I am wondering if anyone could help me figure out what this plant is. It seems to have taken over in a couple spots and I think I am going to need to get rid of it. the roots are insane though. They look like a mess of worms and go deep and are very clingy. I don't know how to post a picture here but I have a link to the photos of the plant. Someone suggested it could be chives gone to seed and someone else suggested a lily of some sort. Any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellsinmypocket/712155606/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellsinmypocket/712155590/in/photostream/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone id this plant?

Looks a bit like tradescantia to me.

o

Yep, that's tradescantia or spiderwort all right. I guess it's a plant that you may want to just devote an area alone to, as it may choke out other plants.

Welcome to the forum too. There's lots of information here for anybody starting out in gardening. Don't hesitate to ask questions, as we were all beginner gardeners at some time.;^)

Laurie

o

I also have the spiderwort, 4 different colors, a white, the zwanesburg blue, a pink and a purple (just like yours). I have not found that they are invasive in any manner in my yard. Yes, the purple and pink have spread but not taken over just an individual plant here and a plant there but the white and blue have not. I really enjoy its many little flowers.

The white spiderwort...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The zwanesburg blue was and still is mixed up with Grandma Jean Daylily just like it was when a friend of mine sold the daylily to me. They are very happy together so I think that they may remain that way here.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Since they have taken over in your yard...yes, get rid of the majority of them. Wonder how many years they have been in the yard? Maybe your soil conditions are the exactly what they like.

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here