Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crazy_gardener consult

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 23:53

I'm trying to get an ID for a pink rose that died back to the graft this spring. I have a pink flower on new growth. I have posted on the Rose forum and got a possible ID as a Winnipeg Parks. I saw in another thread that you have many of the Morden roses. Would you take a look and see if it looks like anything you have or had.

Thanks

"Link to Roses forum thread"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crazy_gardener consult

It looks like Winnipeg Parks to me. The bloom shape is right.

By the way, regarding the poster on the Roses forum who said the only rootstock she knows is Dr. Huey... growers in Canada almost exclusively use Rosa multiflora as it is vigorous and hardy. It has small white flowers. Just for info.

o

Thanks,

I wasn't sure the colour. Is there variation in the Winnipeg Park colour?

Also, the grafts on my roses aren't buried. Do I have to replant or can I just hill dirt over the graft? I moved two this year so replanting shouldn't be difficult.

o

Check the foliage. Winnipeg Parks has reddish tinged foliage, often with a red border around the leaves on new growth.

o

I'm hoping this isn't Rosa multiflora. I've been told this isn't a single, which would mean it isn't Rosa multiflora.

o
red tinge

When the sprouts first came from the graft, they had a red tinge. I don't see any red now. The rose is in full sun.

o

Take a look at the pictures on Help me Find roses. If you get the main page for some reason, find the photos tab at the top and click it. The problem with photographing Wpg Parks is for some reason most cameras can't handle its colour. Mine included. Something about that bright pink with a little orange in it doesn't photograph well.

The young foliage of my WP is red, and the edges and veins stay red awhile, but mature foliage is all green. This is the same for a lot of roses. It's susceptible to powdery mildew in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpmefind

o

Oh yeah and you might try to build up the soil a little, even burying the graft for the winter and carefully digging it out in the spring (to avoid damaging new shoots) will help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here