Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The horribly detailed rose report

Posted by shazam_z3 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 23:55

I've been slowly adding roses to my backyard garden as time has progressed. Here are my finding so far:

Biggest to smallest bloom size:

Topaz Jewel has very large blooms. Same with Morden Sunrise. However, both are single and the blooms don't last very long.

Lambert Closse is extremely double, and has blooms almost as big. I am very impressed with it this year.

Topaz Jewel
Morden Sunrise
Morden Fireglow
Lambert Closse
Hansa
Turbo
Emily Carr
Therese Bugnet
Morden Amorette
Adelaide Hoodless
Prairie Dawn
Bonica
George Vancouver

Cupping:

Prarie Dawn never fully unfolds for me. Lambert Closse is so crazy double that it never really unfolds. Emily Carr has a wonderful semi-double cupped shape. Morden Fireglow is sort of weird in that the center petals don't ever seem to unfurl, while the outer petals do. Roses not listed are ones that flatten out quickly.

Prarie Dawn
Lambert Closse
Emily Carr
Morden Fireglow
Adelaide Hoodless
George Vancouver

Longest to shortest bloom life:

Tops are Bonica and Prairie Dawn. However, George Vancouver and Emily Carr's blooms look better when older. Any on this list will be satisfactory if you're looking for longer lasting blooms.

Bonica
Prairie Dawn
George Vancouver
Emily Carr
Morden Fireglow
Adelaide Hoodless
Morden Amorette
Lambert Closse

The next two definitely have a shorter bloom life.

Turbo
Morden Sunrise

Trailing the bottom are the rugosas

Hansa
Therese Bugnet
Topaz Jewel

Floriferousness:

By a wide margin, Bonica wins this race. If you want a small, compact shrub that gives lots of blooms, George Vancouver is your winner. Morden Amorette is also good for this. The best medium sized shrub is Emily Carr. It also has a strong upright growth habit.

Bonica
Prarie Dawn
Emily Carr
Adelaide Hoodless
George Vancouver
Lambert Closse
Turbo
Hansa
Therese Bugnet
Morden Sunrise/Morden Amorette

Morden Fireglow is easily the worst of the bunch.

Repeat:

The top four all form buds while there are still blooms. The rest seem to be repeaters as opposed to continual bloomers.

Bonica
George Vancouver
Morden Sunrise
Hansa

Disease/Pests:

I've never had a problem with blackspot on any of my roses. Powdery mildew I've only had once on my Topaz Jewel and Lambert Closse. Both shrugged it off with no issue using liquid sulphur.

The Hansa had a massive infestation of spider mites this year. It seems to be okay now.

Rose Weevils did attack my Prairie Dawn and Morden Sunrise. The Prarie Dawn did suffer, but the Morden Sunrise, although getting a little banged up, was none the worse for wear. I think they also tried to attack my Lambert Closse, but there was absolutely no damage on it.

Roses I don't own:

Morden Centennial
Winnipeg Parks
Cuthbert Grant
Hawkeye Belle

My MIL gardens as well, and her Morden Centennial and Winnipeg Parks are simply outstanding. Morden Centennial has big, very double almost peony-like blooms, but they don't seem to last too long. Winnipeg Parks has a great double form and big blooms.

I saw Cuthbert Grant at a garden centre and boy, was it ever wonderful.

Hawkeye Belle looks amazing if the photos here are any indication.

Overall:

For a landscape rose Bonica is almost unbeatable. However, the blooms are not very large and it has little fragrance.

Emily Carr is my favourite medium sized red hardy rose. Excellent form, extremely vigourous, lots of buds, long lasting blooms, disease free. It also buds out very early - only Hansa budded out earlier.

For light pink, Lambert Closse is quickly becoming my favourite. Big blooms, great form, good # of flowers, nice fragrance. It's smallish though (It's never grown more than 1.5 feet tall for me), and it doesn't repeat too well.

For small shrubs, George Vancouver is worth a spot. Nice blooms, if smallish, but they're fragrant, the thing brings up clusters like crazy, and it blooms continuously like no one's business.

Morden Fireglow I find to be a bit of a gimmick rose. The color is outstanding, but it's stingy with the blooms, and it has a weird bloom form.

For big shrubs, I'm leaning towards Prairie Dawn. Hansa and Therese Bugnet are nice, but the blooms barely last. Prarie Dawn has an awesome rose form and is much more floriferous.

I have no recommendations for white roses. I don't find them apppealing (I'm not a white flower fan). Also, I have never, ever been able to find Alexander MacKenzie locally. It sure looks nice.

Next year, new roses in the garden will be Hawkeye Belle, Cuthbert Grant, Morden Centennial, and Alexander MacKenzie. Hawkeye Belle and Alexander MacKenzie will have to be mail ordered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The horribly detailed rose report

Thanks for the report! I just feel I have to comment on my experience with Bonica since you seem to be so taken with it. I'm really not a fan. The buds are only pink for one day, then they look like wet kleenex. It's true that it's always covered in blooms but 90% of them at any given time look terrible. For me anyway.

If you like that rose you should try Champlain, it has a very similar bloom pattern but dark red flowers. They shatter cleanly when they're done and don't look messy.

I bought an Emily Carr for my mom this spring and it is absolutely beautiful. That one seems to be a real winner. And Winnipeg Parks, though the colour is not my cup of tea, always surprises me with its bloom size. They are so big!

o

Gillian,

I don't have Bonica...but I do have Champlain (love its dark red flowers) and Emily Carr (same...love the dark red flowers), both I purchased last year. Both are standing about 2' tall right now. Winnipeg Parks I love also because of the coloring (have to disagree with you on that) and the large flowers and its height being less than 2'.

Thanks also for the report. It will be a nice reference for me as I slowly expand my rose selection.

Shelley, have you ever taken the time to do a rundown of similar nature with your dozens and dozens of roses?

Brenda

o

Bonica's nice if you need to fill a big spot (hence, landscape rose). It's definitely not a specimen rose. My blooms stay pink and they maintain their form for quite a while, but it doesn't get a lot of afternoon sun.

I cannot believe how big the blooms are for Winnipeg Parks. They're simply stunning.

o

I have to say that there is not a rose that I do not like. The ones that have the wet tissue look get pinched off if I feel like it.

I'm always comparing my roses. Some do better at differnt times of the season. And some do not come into their own until year 3. Plus I am terrible for moving plants around.I have a few roses that have had 3 different spots in my yard in the last 5 years. Also some of my rose have been tucked in the back corners and not receiving full sun like they should. (That has mostly been fixed this year.)

I can't say I entirely agree with everything Shazam says. But I have different preferences, I'm sure. Different soil and different rain falls and different roses to compare with. Some of mine could have been in the ground longer as well.
My preference is to buy own root roses because of my colder zone.

The roses and quantities I grow:

Abraham Darby x1
Adelaide Hoodless x7
Alexander MacKenzie x2
America x1
Aunt Honey x1
Betty Will x1 -new
Blanc Double de Coubert x1 -new
Bonica x1 -new
Carefree Beauty x1
Champlain x1
Country Dancer x1
Cuthbert Grant x2
De Montarville x1
Distant Drums x1
Double Delight x1
Earth Song x2
Emily Carr x3
F.J. Grootendorst x1
Felix Leclerc x1 -new
Folksinger x2
Frau Dagmar Hastrup x1
Frontenac x4
George Vancouver x1 -new
Golden Unicorn x2
Hansa x1 -new
Hawkeye Belle x1
Hazeldean x1 -new
Henry Kelsey x2
Honeysweet x2
Hope for Humanity x1
J.P. Connell x2
Jacques Cartier x1
John Cabot x2
John Davis x1
John Franklin x1 -new
Kaleidoscope x1
Lambert Closse x2
Little Mischief x2
Madeline's Choice x1 -new
Marie Bugnet x2
Marie-Victorin x2
Martha Allen x1 -new
Martin Frobisher x1
Morden Belle x2
Morden Blush x4
Morden Cardinette x3
Morden Centennial x1
Morden Fireglow x2
Morden Ruby x2
Morden Snow Beauty x1 -new
Morden Sunrise x3
Nicolas x2
Prairie Celebration x1 -new
Prairie Dawn x1 -new
Prairie Joy x2
Prairie Magic x1 -new
Prairie Peace x3
Prairie Princess x2
Prairie Star x3
Quadra x4
Reine des Violettes x1
Rosarium Uetersen x2
Royal Edward x3
Rugelda x2
Ruth x1 new
Serendipity x2
Simon Fraser x2
Snow Pavement x2 -new
Sunrise Sunset x2
Suzanne x1 -new
The Hunter x2
Thrse Bugnet x1
Topaz Jewel x1
Wasagaming x1
William Baffin x2 -new
William Booth x1
Winnipeg Parks x3
Yellow Submarine x2

B/G- all new, I will be experimenting with mulching for the winter.
Blue Girl x1
Folklore x1
Mr. Lincoln x1

I have lost 2 roses to winter kill or spring freeze thaw since 1990. No mulching except the fluffy white stuff Mother Nature gives me.
Rose de Rescht
The Fairy

I also shovel pruned Peace because it was diseased. After keeping over one winter in the ground.

This week I'll spend some time outside with a pen and paper to assess what is what with my roses. IMO.

Shelley

o

Thank you for the wonderful list of roses!

Some Roses not on your list and are doing well for me are:

LD Braithwrite
Honey Perfume (survived this winter without mulching!)
Roserie D'Hay
John Franklyn
The Hunter
Mr. Dior
Souvenir D'Malmaison
Charles Albanel
JP Connell
William Baffin
John Davis
Morden Snowberry

My favourites are:

John Franklyn (late to bloom but very Floriferous)
John Davis
The Hunter
LD Braithwrite
Cuthbert Grant
Morden Sunrise
Cahrles Albanel

John Davis is slow to get going but worth waiting for. Same with JP Connell.

Morden Sunrise is one you love or hate. I love it because its always in bloom for me even after the horrific hail. Charles Albanel and Morden Snowberry are also good bloomers.

Here's my MUST GET list!
Emily Carr
Adelaide Hooldess
Lambert Closse
maybe Maybe Morden Cardinette and Morden Fireglow.

I have to dig up more grass to make room for my new roses!

Tova

o

I also have Hunter and Roseraie D'La Hay, however both are new this year and also got totally defoliated by spider mites. Hunter is recovering nicely. Roseraie D'La Hay may not make it.

o

Shazan, not horribly detailed but wonderfully detailed. Thanks for all the thought you put into it. The one category you left off, fragrance, is top priority for us as my wifes vision is not the best.
Shelly you already expressed my ideas perfectly. Each rose has its time and place, its good points and bad.
Here is a list of my roses from most fragrant to least. I cant rate this years yet.

Dr. Merkeley
Prairie Peace
Theresa Bugnet
Wasagaming
Banshee
Dart's Dash
Fru dagmar
George Will
Lambert Closse
Minnete
Rugosa Alba
Suzanne
Will Aldermann
Aylsham
Prairie Youth
Prairie Magic
Mrs. John McNab
Ritausma
Alexander MacKenzie
Louis Riel

New this year
Mary Queen of Scots
Stanwell Perpetual
Prairie Sweetheart
Alika
Ames Climber
Prairie Dawn

Since many of these are once bloomers it is good that some are very early, like Prairie Peace and Suzanne and then there are those that come late like Dr. Merkeley and Banshee/Minettte which are at the peak of their first flush now.
Prairie Dawn was sent by mistake and not on its own roots so I just stuck it in where I had space but after hearing all the good things you have to say about it I am looking forward to seeing what it will do. Prairie Youth is much the same breeding and if I had to choose a favourite rose it would probably be it. It is covered in bloom in June then has sporadic bloom all summer long and each flower is beautiful. It does take room however and sometimes from the wet tissue syndrome. Prairie Sweetheart is also of very similar breeding and even though just planted this spring bloomed nicely with small fragrant pompoms. I have to see how big it gets.
The rugosas are tops for fragrance and flower size but they do pass too quickly. Last year I received 2 roses labelled Polareis. One is fragrant and has short bloom life but the other is almost without scent and a bouquet lasts almost a week in the house. Both are white with a delicate pink flush in the centre.
For me Lambert Closse opens fully from beautiful hybrid tea type buds. It is small but the flowers are large enough that it holds its own among the other huge bushes.
A rose I do not have, but that I pass at a neighbours as I walk to work is Cuthbert Grant. If someone asked me to recommend one rose for a small garden that would be it.

o

OMG I appologise in advance for how long this is going to be.........
Champlain good colour
Love interesting colour long lasting blooms
Queen Elizabeth likes to be tall
Belle dCrecy x2 has not bloomed yet both are first year
Ferdinand Picard interesting leaf shape, young and only I bloom so far
Deuil de Paul Fontaine really taken with this guy WOW colour, good vigor
Morden Sunrise performs well in my location a winner
Winnipeg Parks great performance, colour, bloom sizehas it all
Lambert Closse love it just wish the necks would get stronger
Bonica a trooper and a show you can rely on
Morden Celebration spring bloom is awesome but one of the worst for black spot in my location
Morden Blush a real sweetie and a keeper, some black spot
Chrysler Imperial
Tropicana interesting colour
Olympiad better repeat than the above 2 very dark red
Hope for Humanity great performance and awesome colour some mildew when young
L.D. Braithwaite good colour, large blooms, quick repeat
Turbo nice steady show, good landscape plant, blooms short lived but a multitude of them
Prairie Joy ahh one of my all time favs, will never be without
Linda Campbell WOW! Deep red, large clusters that last, vigorous, missing a scent but can forgive it that, it is just wonderful
Great Maidens Blush sweet and quietly magical
Roserie de LHay good performer a keeper
Mrs Anthony Waterer- nice red at first but fades to magenta, love it but wish it stayed more red, interesting scent sweeter and less clove-y than most rugosas
Stanwell Perpetual what a cutie, started to bloom early and keeps on like the energizer bunny
Distant Drums love this one because of the unique colour and scent
Rugosa Alba -
Banshee oh my.this gal has a reputation to perhaps be a trouble maker (suckering).once it blooms though you will forgive it anything. Actually prefers to be neglected once established.

Mr Lincoln good strong growth, nice red, good fragrance
Felix LeClerc takes time to settle in, slow to put on height, worth waiting for
Mme Isaac Periere OMG the scent.nuff said
John Davis a winner with a proven track record, the best Canadian climber in my books
Eden 82 growing well but has not bloomed yet 1st year

The following 8 are potted and wintered in an unheated attached garage
Don Juan good quick growth
Sunsprite a favourite for sure, the colour & scent are outstanding
Angel Face cute ruffled blooms, interesting colour, amazing scent
Gruss an Aachen was not impressed last year this year knocked my socks off will never be without this one now
Intrigue good deep colour and strong scent
Rio Samba DH favourite, amazing colour show and quick repeat
Janna a quiet little cutie that you can rely on
Beauty Secret very good scent nice colour

Heritage quick grower, soft colour, large clusters
John Cabot
Salet 1st year has not bloomed yet
Jacques Cartier/Marchesa Boccela x2 both were mislabeled KvD and bought consecutive years talk about jinxed I was miffed I know mislabeling happens but these are much more tender than KvD so thought I would lose them they have done well and really earned a soft spot in my heart. I will have to move them but will certainly keep them.
Antike 89 very, very vigorous. Dead to nubs after winter but 6 already upon regrowth. Did not bloom 1st year, was not seeing any sign of buds this year and was worried it was going to be an "old wood" problem. Happy to see it is setting buds now.
Rosarium Uetersen stays short and small for a few years, but good survival and re-growth. Lovely colour and big clusters
Friesinger Morgenrote the colour variations are amazing and very good scent a real favourite
Winchester Cathedral white is my least fav colour but WC stays based on stellar performance
Abe Darby HUGE blooms, lovely scent, fascinating colour blend, whats not to love well a little floppy
Tradescant high maintenance but that colour is simply decadent
Alex McKenzie nice when in bloom but never repeats for me
The Fairy an amazing performer and very hardy in my location a real sweetie spring bloom is later than others but then is covered in blooms till frost
Folksinger this was a real dog last year, covered in mildew, I so wanted to dig it up and pitch it on the compost pilemaybe jump on it a few times, but I left it and this year it knocked my socks off.my apologies to Mr. Buck.
The Mayflower takes time to settle in, when young the necks are weak and sometimes the blooms dont open properly. Give it a chance and some time, touted to be the hardiest and most disease free Austin. My experience would concur with that
Rose de Rescht wow, bloomed early and non stop so far, deep dark colour just magical
Christopher Marlow gearing up for 1st bloom
Irish Gold a gift from a friend, will be tender but repeat has been fast and good for cutting, very little scent sadly
William Baffin x2
Brother Caedfael quick to grow and large blooms
Crown Princess Margaretta simply magical colour you have to see with your own eyes, good scent
....continued

o
RE: The horribly detailed rose report-part2

Sharifa Asma first bloom cycle was amazing, just covered in huge very fragrant blooms that last a long time
Crocus Rose soft subtle colouring that is quietly beautiful, hardier than many austins, quick to put on height
Coral Dawn blooms are very full but very weak necks so far
America good bloomer, interesting colour,
Aloha (1949 Boerner version) just opening maiden bloom
Graham Thomas nice colour, good growth,
Lavender Lassie just opening first bloom, quick grower to good height
Blush Hip nice soft pink, great scent, quick growth
Felicia amazing subtle colour blend lovely scent
Rosenholm cant say enough good about this one, really sweet smaller but amazingly full blooms, will be tender, sure hope it makes it as I really like this one, extremely healthy foliage
Reinne de Violettes magical in every way, love this one for sure
Nova Zembla has not bloomed yet but has put on very good height
Mirandy -
Double Delight
Quadra I love this explorer climber the best of the bunch, deep dark colour very full blooms, quicker than most on the repeat, sadly no scent
Martin Frobisher old reliable that is stunning to boot, love this fellow
Henry Hudson same as above
Emily Carr very happy with this one, love the colour and how long they last
Therese Bugnet -

Part 2
Musings and ramblings:

We are in the middle of a grand experiment. I like roses, I really like roses and found that if you stuck to the hardy explorers and mordens there just wasnt enough variety for me. Many of them look very much like others with that cerise shade being so very dominant and in general they have very little scent. I wanted a rose garden that smelled like a rose garden, with a riot of colour and bloom form. I also lusted after climbers, big honkin climbers and most of the hardy climbers although they retain cane height through winter max out at about 6.

The mad experiment began. We built this current garden around 2 principals.

Climbers that are at least crown hardy combined with a vigorous growth habit. In that way I may lose them down to just nubs after winter but if they survive and then re-grow to 6 or better ultimately I am ahead and have the variety & scent I crave.

Since fragrance was important and I find the fuller bloom form captivating a transition to OGRs was natural. Many of the ogr classes are quite hardy. The Albas and Gallicas can be depended upon and the Albas will add good height.

What we have learned:

Many of the Austins are hardier than we would have thought. I am up to probably over a dozen now and have not lost any of them to winter. I do lose all the cane and they start over with anywhere from 3" to about 1 but they re-grow extremely well and I actually see this as an advantage. Some of them get lanky and gangly in warmer climates. Starting over from scratch they stay good and bushy and smaller than they would in the south. This means ultimately I can have more of them in a smaller urban lot. Win/win as I see it.

The German climbers from Kordes are a real favourite. It was his material that was used to create the explorer line so the assumption (on my part) was there that they would be a good bet. I have been very pleased with them so far. Of the original 3 that went in, all have survived. Antike 89 showed the most cane loss and started over with just a few inches but has displayed "weed-like" re-growth. Even in its first year I saw a 9 cane and was perplexed at just what to do with it. The foliage is the healthiest I have ever seen and a lovely shade of burgundy changing much later than others to a soft interesting green. The combination is lovely. By mid July re-growth has reached 5. I was worried that it would turn out to be an "old-wood" bloomer and have to be either removed or potted. It is now setting buds so I am hopeful it will be able to stay in the ground. Rosarium Uetersen started over with about 1 of viable cane. Re-growth has been average at best however it does bloom well. I am hopeful that it will gradually grow taller with a few more years under its belt. Friesinger Morgenrote will always have a place as I love the blooms. Its growth habit is similar to Rosarium Uetersen so far.

Gorcery store micro minis are in general a very good investment for the variety they add. I root them from cuttings and they root & grow very quickly. In the ground I have good luck wintering them over with just a shovel of compost or soil. Unfortunately they are not often named when you buy them but they are so easy to propagate they make good edging plants.

Cathy

o

Ah, loving the lists everybody! I find that roses are so ensconed in marketing fluff that it's very, very hard to find out how they actually are. Especialy with the hardy roses, since our market is much smaller.

Leo, I was going to do fragrance, except that I seem to have a very sensitive nose compared to other people, and I can pick up scents where no one else can. So I don't think my fragrance results would be of any use except for myself.

o

I like this thread. It is nice to see that the different roses appeal to different folks!

For sheer volume of blooms Champlain is the hands down winner in my yard. I have a "hedge" of about 9 or 10 plants between my driveway and my neighbors. They get full sun all day, and I have a dripper system under the mulch. Theses roses are completely smoothered in blooms from about the end of June until frost. Since we pile lots of snow on top of them all winter, they don't die back to the ground either.

Morden Blush is a great bloomer as well, but my two favorites this year are Lambert Closse - for form and great scent, and John Davis.

Shazam, I am glad that you mentioned rose weevils, I was out tonight wondering what was bothering my roses, and when I googled weevils - that it exactly what it is. I even saw an adult one on one plant, but I unfotunately didn't kill it! Morden Sunrise is by far the plant affected the worst by the weevils (I have 3 plants togther), but Prairie Joy and Morden Blush also are showing signs. I did cut off all the affected buds and put them in the trash, but I will be more vigilant now.

o

This is an AWESOME thread--I wish I had this on hand when I was selecting my roses.

I have to echo the raves for Prairie Joy. I purchased this rose 4 years and it sulked in its location for a couple of years (too hot,bunny or deer feast in winter). I then moved it to a location with part shade (about 50%) out of reach of critters and wah-lah!

It is absolutely stunning--the foliage is gorgeous and it has been flowering like crazy now that it has settled in.

I have many roses recommended here--the main problem I have with roses is there isn't enough room for more! Each rose has its own charm--

BUT

I DO NOT like my Morden Blush at ALL. I purchased it on a whim, it looked a bit beat up being the end of the season. Since then I have fought shove pruning it every year.

The foliage never looks very nice due to consistent battle with black spot (treatable yes, but still causes ugly plant syndrome), bloom is nice for about 8 minutes as it opens and then it fades to nondescript off white kleenex. No repeat in my experience. Carolyn

o

redpeony,

I will need to visit your place. I want to see that rose hedge!!

o

Shazam, I will save you a drive and post a picture of it soon :)!

This is a bit off the thread, but does anyone know a good way for getting rid of weevils? I had pruned off all the affected buds just two days ago, but alas I have more problems. Any advice would be great, preferrably not too time comsuming if possible!

Janet

o

Cathy - I meant to comment on your list last week and forgot - I see you have Mirandy. That was one of my Grandma's favourite roses because of its perfume and dark red colour. The blooms have weak necks though. I would like to grow that one but I can't seem to find it ever.

Also if you like vigorous climber/ramblers you might like to try Westerland or Autumn Sunset. I had AS and it was fantastic but I planted it in a bad spot and it died. It's supposed to be about a zone 4-5ish.

o

Northspruce

I found Mirandy at Home Depot this year. They were body bags but very large and healthy looking when they first came in. I narrowed the list down to a few and posted over on the rose forum. The ones that came back with good recommendations I added.

Since it was very early spring I potted Mirandy up and schlepped her in and out daily with the others that were early starts. She took right off and was doing well. Then she took a nose dive very quickly. Thinking it would probably die anyway, I thought I had nothing to lose by putting her in the ground. She pouted for a bit but hung in there. Then she started to grow and opened her first bloom this week. It is huge, deep red and very well scented. I am glad I took a chance and picked it up.

I do have a real weakness for ramblers and large climbers. Of course most of them are not cane hardy but if the crown survives and they re-grow to a respectable size I'm a happy camper. I have looked at both Westerland and Autumn Sunset and like them both. I am sure I will try both of them as this experiment continues. I'm zone bending and not all of them will display the re-growth vigor I require so they get moved to where they can be a shrub and I try something else.

Aside from Antike '89 who is now 7 feet tall. I am really smitten with:

Friesinger Morgenrote (aka Sunrise) - recovered well from winter kill, the most amazing colour blend - yellow, orange & pink. Good scent and heavy bloom.

Rosenholm - I really love this one

Of the austins added this year all have bloomed and I am very pleased with all of them. However, I have never had a rose stop me in my tracks like Crown Princess Margaretta. I can stare at it for hours, the colour defies description and photography. It is simply magic.

Cathy

o

more! More! MORE!

I love horribly detailed reports of just about anything!

Sharon

o

Bonica is listed as zone 5 ? would
i need to cover it well to grow
in northern wisconsin (zone 3b) ?
so far i have only tried hansa
and other rugosas. jim

o

Bonica does well here. It dies back to the ground and is a bit slow to recover in the spring but then it blooms nicely after the early roses are finished. I think it would take a lot of protection to keep it from dying back and wouldn't give you much more bloom.
Leo

o

I have Bonica and it keeps up to my morden roses here. As long as it gets covered with snow it seems to be fine. The tops get winter kill, and have to be cut back in the spring....but anything under the snow line is fine.

Sierra

o

more! thanks shazam . not horrible. this year

thanks to this report i will try bonica, emily carr,

and adelaide hoodless, have hansa + rosa mundi

that have not done much since planting in 2001.

o

Thought I would add my two cents here, since I love talking about roses!
I realize that you are all in a colder zone than I am, but you seem to have had similar experiences with the Austin and Kordes roses. They ARE much hardier than previously thought. With a little protection, plus the snow, they come roaring back every year.
Having very little space left, I have ordered the following from Palatine (big, healthy bareroot plants, and great customer service):

Jude the Obscure
Janet
The Prince
Heritage
Jubilee Celebration

They have many more amazing roses, but, alas, even all my sunny pot spaces are taken! Of course, I could always dig up my driveway, lots of sun there.....

Anyone else want to share their orders for spring?

Judith

o

SOOOO happy to find this thread. I'm moving to Alaska from Missouri in a year, and I was so worried I wouldn't be able to grow some of my favorite roses (Austins). I grew up in Alaska and was never terribly fond of the rugosas that are widely planted there.

Keep up the detailed reports! Zone 3/4, here I come!

o

To all who have posted above. Many of you have HTs in your garden. I am in Edmonton, zone 3. What do you do to winterize? I asked to find a method that is effective and not too much work. I use the Minnesota Tip over method. It is very effective but very hard work for a 73 year old rose grower. Please share your methods.

Thank you.

Sengyan

o

There is a somewhat famous private rose garden in downtown Calgary. I had a chance to talk to one of the caretakers, and he said that they simply cover their HTs with dirt and mulch before the winter.

It's amazing that you're 73 and still doing the Minnesota Tip method!!! I would've given up ages ago :)

If that house ever goes on sale, I'm buying it.

o

Thank you Shazam for your reply. I believe that it is possible in Calgary to just cover with dirt and mulch for the winter because of the Chinooks. Up here in Edmonton I've lost many plants using the dirt and mulch methods. I've not lost any for a long time using the Min. Tip over method. But I am too old to tip over more than 20 plants every Fall and tip then up in Spring. So if any reader has a workable method please share.

Sengyan

o

Actually, chinooks are worse for plants. Edmonton has a much better climate than Calgary for plants. Your frost free days, for instance, are much longer than Calgary's, and Edmonton has much more reliable snow cover, among other advantages.

Another method are the styrofoam rose boxes. Prune the roses after a hard frost so they fit the boxes, fill the boxes with dirt and secure the top. Don't uncover until you are certain all danger of frost is over, as the moment you uncover the roses they will break dormancy.

o

Bump for this year.

Got some new roses this year:

Distant Drums (bareroot)
Prairie Star (bareroot)
Hawkeye Belle (bareroot)
Graham Thomas (container)

Anyhoo, Hunter was the first rose this year to leaf out. Very little dieback for what is supposedly a zone 4 rose. I planted this guy last year and it was almost totally defoliated by aphids and yet it came back really strong.

George Vancouver was next.

Bonica has lots of green cane and leaf out on it. Again another rose whose hardiness is somewhat unknown. If it can survive in my zone 3 windy, sun-beaten, lacking snowcover backyard, it can survive in yours :)

Turbo. Ah, Turbo. How tough was it? It kept leaves over the winter.

I shovel pruned one of my Morden Fireglows. Haven't been too impressed with them.

o
'Blaze Improved'

Just to follow up on my own ramblings...

Does anybody grow 'Blaze Improved'? Helpmefind.com lists it hardy to zone 3b, which probably then means that it's hardy to zone 1 :)

o

Oh My Goodness ! You guys sure make a person want to grow roses =:)

I made a wish list from the first detailed Sazzyrose report, went shopping and they didn't have Emily Carr or George Vancouver, which sounded like good ones to start with. I was so disappointed, but I'll make a second list.

Could someone please tell me, a person who's never grown roses, what the following are :

shovel pruned
Minnesota tip over method
not on its own roots

These were mentioned in the previous posts and I don't know what they mean.

Oh,and one more thing. If I find an Emily Carr orGeorge Vancouver at a place like Canadian Tire, should I buy them, or stick to buying them at a greenhouse?

Thanks !

o

Shovel prune = Get rid of a plant by "pruning" it with a shovel (i.e. dig it up and throw it out)

Tip over method = Come fall, partially dig up plant. Lay it on its side, and cover it with mulch. Do reverse in spring. There are variations.

Not on its own roots = Many roses are grafted. So the top of the plant is the plant you want, and the bottom is another type of rose. Many hybridized roses have extremely weak root systems, so they're grafted. Others sucker like mad, and grafting them prevents them from doing so. There are other reasons as well.

Most plant stock come from the same manufacturers (Bylands, Pan Am are two of the big ones in NA), so really, you're getting the same thing wherever you buy. However, greenhouses usually have much better selection and take care of their plants far better than other places. Having said that, you can usually find one or two big box stores near you that has staff that actually care.

o

Hi,
I see some of you mention the Hunter rose, I have it on my list to buy next year, too long a list this year. Is it a dark red or a rosy red I have seen both and how is the fragrance, my priority. What about height, I am looking at it because it is fairly short. Thanks

o

If you can find Emily Carr or George Vancouver at any of the chain stores, and the look fine...grab them.

The Hunter is an Awesome rose. You can't go wrong with this variety.

Shelley

o

Thanks a bunch Sazzyrose ! I found both Emily Carr and George Vancouver this weekend =:) I also bought a Topaz Jewel. I love yellow. I see on your wonderful list that you have one. Any comments about it?

These are the first roses for me so I hope they don't have to be "shovel pruned", hee, hee! I lusted over my old neighbour/friend's roses for years, so I'm really looking forward to nurturing them.

o

Topaz is a little more shy with the blooms but lovely anyways.
Fertilize your rugosas with an organic fertilizer. They don't like the chemical ones like Miracle Grow.

Shelley

o

Hi Sazzyrose (Shelley). Me again.

I have horrible compacted clay soil. I was planning on digging the hole and filling it in with a whole bunch of compost that I started 4 years ago. Good? Then, every week or so, I'm going to sprinkle coffee grounds.

o

I'm not a huge fan of using coffee grounds. Caffeine is a very powerful insecticide (that's why plants make it).

o

If you have clay, you might have to use chelated iron as well.
My rugosas have trouble here with my clay based soil too.
The compost will work good. I personally haven't used the coffee grounds on my roses. (I save them for my lilies)

o

Hi Sazzyrose (Shelley). Can you compare Aunt Honey, Country Dancer, and Earth Song in terms of floriferousness, repeat bloom, shape, size, fragrance, and bloom life? I'd be really interested to hear what you thought about them.

Also, does anyone have a picture of a full-grown John Davis rose bush? I mostly see pictures that are only a few feet tall, and I want to know where I should really plant mine.

Thanks,
Sharon

o

Re: John Davis, I have one that is coming into its 4th summer. The first two summers it was small and short (it's own root) but last year it sent up a lot of thick, flexible, 5-foot tall canes. I think this year it's going to warrant an obelisk or something. I could take a picture but it doesn't have leaves or anything right now. Some of the pics of bigger specimens at Helpmefind look totally plausible to me (see link, if necessary click the photos tab).

Here is a link that might be useful: John Davis at HMF

o

Bumpity bump bump please!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here