Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P.A.D. strikes again!!! (honeysuckle shrub replacement)

Posted by ostrich 3a AB (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 23:58

Well, yes, 'fraid so.... see, I really should not have gone to CT.... because every time I go there, I just "find" something nice!!! :-) This time, I found this big and healthy 5 gallon Wisteria Blue Moon on sale!!! I could not believe my eyes. Anyway, I put it in the spot where the Arnold Red Honeysuckle (the S.P. victim) used to be and I think that it looks good there! Hopefully, there will be enough sun. I will need to install a trellis behind it to support the vine.

photo IMG_20140716_085756.jpg

BTW, Terrance, how did you put the stems down to the ground? They are pretty stiff and upright! I am wondering if I should winter protect it with some burlap wrap?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P.A.D. strikes again!!! (honeysuckle shrub replacement)

Looks great! I just got hit with EHD ( especially hungry deer) and am sure Ian going to have to replace. Dag numbit!

o

SCG, sorry that it happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Ostrich, the stems are rather flexible and you should easily be able to lay the plant down to the ground for winter. The problem you'll notice is it needs a long hot growing season in order to ripen and harden off, otherwise much of the new growth will freeze right back. The first few years, I had covered it with about 3 inches of peat moss and then let this freeze hard (to keep mice from burrowing into it) and then put plastic over to keep moisture out and later piled snow on top. This plant requires work if it's to obtain any real size in this climate and it's likely going to be more frustration than satisfaction.

o

Thanks for the great information, Terrance! Do you think that it would work if I just wrap it with burlap rather than putting it on the ground? Regardless, I will need to do some work for it this fall then!!!! Thanks! So far, it is looking very happy in its new location but winter is the real test here... sigh!

o

Unfortunately, I believe that burlap will provide very little protection when the temperatures plummet to bitterly cold values :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here