Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries, what are you growing ?

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 0:01

What varieties have you grown, which ones are of best quality and proven themselves hardy?

Heres a list of some oldies and some newcomers:

Bonye ... very good flavor, small berries (at least for me) ... I have removed them.

Red River ... primocane, poor flavor, have been removed.

Autumn Bliss ... primocane, excellent flavor and size, a late producer that is not hardy, been removed.

Kiwi Gold ... primocane, late, not hardy, also been removed.

Honey Queen ... large soft fruit, short plants

Royalty ... purple raspberry, unique flavor, only semi hardy, been removed.

Jewel ... black raspberry, small seedy berries, plant is not hardy, though had been protected and wintered well will be discared.

Wyoming Purple ... unique flavor, smallish berries, rather hardy, vicious thorns! I have some hybrids of these selected for having few thorns and good fruit quality.

Sweet Treat ... not hardy, discarded.

Polana ... primocane, one of the earliest to produce on the new canes, though later than Red River will need late summer heat to mature the crop. The old canes had wintered relatively well, flavor is good, needs another few seasons to determine if its a keeper.

Viking ... a thornless variety with good flavor, though berries easily drop when ripe. My plantings are comprised mainly of this old timer.

* I have crossed Viking with Autumn Bliss and have some rather good selections with very large fruit that adhere better than Viking.

For those that are growing Red Mammoth, please tell me about it ?

Heres one of my hybrids

Photobucket

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries, what are you growing ?

I grow the Boyne....for the farmer's market as most people know what this red variety tastes like. We find that the berries are larger when watered regularly as they are developing.

I also grow the Fall Gold. It is a yellowy gold extremely sweet raspberry with berries the same size as the Boyne. This variety is my DH's favorite as it is so sweet. I do find that the berries tend to break apart easier than the Boyne. Right now, the hornets have found the patch and are thoroughly enjoying the sweet fruit. I picked 1/2 a pail yesterday with the hornets flying around....picked very very carefully...no need to get stung while at it. This variety will have berries in the fall again. Last year it was a treat to go out to the garden and nibble on a few berries while cleaning up the garden in the fall.

The third kind I have is the Royalty...also a favorite of my DH. I know it is supposed to be rated for a zone 4 but, here on my zone 2b garden it is proving extremely hardy as it is growing in the garden with absolutely no windbreak or protection around it. The berries are very very large and only ready when they turn from the red to a purple. It also has a mild flavor. The bushes actually clump and rarely sucker, which is why we purchased our original 10 plants back 20 years ago when we lived in town. The bushes get quite tall at about 7'. In town when we only had the 10 bushes we had permanent stakes at each one and would tie the bushes up just as you would wrap a delphinium to keep it from flopping. Now, we just let them flop as there is much more room here on the acreage. My patch is at least 50' long and I picked over 5 pails of raspberries last night and wasn't even done 1/2 the patch. They are just loaded this year. This one I sell a bit at the farmer's market but I pick mostly for ourselves.

I like serving a mixture of the Fall Gold and Royalty for dessert....very pretty in a bowl.

o

Don't know the name of my raspberries, i got them from suckers from the neighbors. Had them over 20 years & I'm sure they had them 10 years before I moved there. I cut them down to about 3 feet in the fall & in the summer they shoot up to about 5-6 feet tall. Nice big berries ( some close to the size of a quarter) , range from red to dark purple when really ripe. Need lots of water when putting on fruit.

Valleyrimgirl- When I have problems with the wasps, I put out sugar water & borax. Wasps are lazy & when they find it, they leave the berries alone.The borax will kill them in about 7-10 days This year I haven't had any problems

o

Will the hornets also go for the sugar water/borax solution?

Brenda

o

Brenda, thank you for your comments, it's really good to get the input of others who might be having success with particular varieties, those that may not have performed so great for others in the past ... it just might be time to again give them another try! You definitely appear to be busy picking within your productive patch!

Yes, it's a very good year for raspberries, even the wild ones are loaded like I don't think I've ever seen before! Thankfully, the wasps have not yet been too bad here ...

Terry

o

We grow Red Latham. We got the plants over 35 years ago and they are still going strong.

o

Brenda (Valleyrimgirl) - Give it a try, I'm sure the Hornets will go for the sugar water-borax mix also. If not you can always use it for ants or what the borax is meant for original ( washing clothes ) A little borax goes a long ways don't put to much in & if they don't seem to like it add more sugar

o

I can't be much help because of sketchy info, but I inherited two varieties from my Grandpa, who got them from my uncle's girlfriend's parents in the 60s. One was Boyne and he didn't remember the name of the other. Both were red, one was smaller fruited and very flavourful but acid; and the other was large fruited with a mellow flavour. I always preferred the second one.

I sold the plants with my house but had given plants to my parents' neighbour, who will give some back if I ever want them. I'm just not ready for an untidy raspberry patch at the moment.

o

I'm not sure of the name of the raspberries I have. I was given a whole bunch of babies from a lady who had allowed me to pick berries from her patch last year. She told me they were genetically developed by the University of Saskatchewan. All I know is that I have not had any luck with the raspberry plants I've purchased from the nurseries, they've all died! But these plants are phenomenal!! I stuck them in water overnight, planted them the next afternoon in a slightly raised bed and they all took off!! My grandkids even ate three RIPE berries off of them last fall. This year, I AM SICK OF PICKING AND EATING RASPBERRIES!!! And. so it seems, are my husband, son AND my grandkids!! Even my renter has quit eating them!! AND THEY ARE STILL PRODUCING!!!! I almost dread next year...

There are other canes mixed in there, but they haven't produced anything this year, just grown to huge proportions. The raised bed is about sixteen feet long by twenty inches wide. I planted approximately forty plants. They were, at maximum, a foot tall when I planted them last August and most a lot smaller. About a quarter of them were the U of S plants. Most of the bigger cane plants died, but ALL the U of S plants lived!!! These are the culprits producing all the berries. The berries are just a little smaller than a quarter and extremely sweet. The plants are extremely aggressive and are already trying to send runners under the barriers of the raised bed. They have a smaller and lighter colour green leaf than the regular raspberry plant that hasn't bore fruit yet.

From this small patch we have picked three ice cream pails full of raspberries, so far. AND, we're not done yet!!!

If you know the name of the plant, please let me know. I could send you a pic, but don't know how to post them.

o

Why don't you pick and freeze them for winter?

I have picked about 30 pails of raspberries already in the past few weeks off our bushes. I picked another 5 pails yesterday. I sell many at the farmer's market here in Brandon, but I also freeze for ourselves whatever doesn't sell.

There are many uses for raspberries in the winter...from raspberry shakes, raspberry iced tea, having them plain or with ice cream or flavored creamers, in baking, etc.

Brenda

o

Sank_chew_airy, sounds like you have quite the producer on your hands! Many raspberry varieties have been bred and released on the prairies, so it's a tough call as to what you might have there, though it does sound like a good one!

Yes, as Brenda had mentioned, freezing the berries is a very good thing to do! Just simply spread them out on cookie sheets and pop them in the freezer, then bag them up when they're frozen. That's an amazing amount picking you've done Brenda!

Oh, I had forgotten to add to my list that I've also grown 'Nova' ... it was not a favorite due to the berries being rather tart.

o

Brenda and twrosz

I mentioned picking berries last year from the lady who gave me the raspberry plants. I picked five pails off her bushes and froze three pails, of which the family only ate one and a half pails. They like them fresh! I've tried baking with them, using them in pies, shakes, crisps and tarts. I get nothing but complaints about the seeds. Yet, they'll eat them off the bushes as they ripen. So, freezing them is not an option. I've started picking them and giving them away to my elderly neighbours. They seem to love them!! Another half pail today!! But, they are slowing down!! Crazy!

BTW, when do regular canes start producing?

The other canes just seem to be growing straight up and reaching for the clouds! I may decide to dig them out this fall and replant them in the back forty of my yard, since our yard is 50' X 218', and let the "crazies" take over the raised bed.

I also have two canes that I purchased at a nursery, two years ago, called Royalty, but all they've done so far is grow into one looonnnnggg stick and no berries. So, I have no idea what to expect from them.

airy

o

"This year, I AM SICK OF PICKING AND EATING RASPBERRIES!!! And. so it seems, are my husband, son AND my grandkids!! Even my renter has quit eating them!! AND THEY ARE STILL PRODUCING!!! This made me laugh, to this day only one of my 5 siblings likes raspberries!

I don't know where you're located, but I saw an article in the news today that I thought was a great idea for someone like yourself. They called OFRE - Operation Fruit Rescue Edmonton. They have volunteers who will pick your unwanted fruit and donate a portion of it to the food bank - although why on earth they'd want raspberries is beyond me! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: OFRE

o

Hi, Garden Chicken

BTW!!! Love your name!!! I'm in Saskatoon, the Sunshine Capitol of the West, just not this year!! It's been more like living in Calgary, with cool evenings, cold nights and lots of rain. Horrid!

Usually you can sit in the garden all night, if the notion or a menopausal hot flash hit you, (which often happens to me... both of them... sometimes at the same time!!), in a tank top and shorts, but not this year. The notions and hot flashes were hitting all summer, but weather was definitely NOT cooperating!!

Now, what were we talking about? Oh, yes, raspberries! As I was saying, what I am doing is picking them and delivering them to the elderly in my community. You wouldn't believe how happy they are to get them! The greatest part is they will tell me stories of the raspberry patches they had, either on the farm or in their back yards!

One lady had half an acre of raspberries that she picked and sold all over the town of Lloydminister. Just think, Lloyminister was a town then. Wow! It's a city now! Another lady used to can all her raspberries in the "Dirty 30's" and she told me how sometimes it was all they had to eat. She said, "When all else failed, the raspberries grew." Her eyes just shone when she held the margarine container full of fresh raspberries.

No, I will continue to pick them and take them to the elderly. It's too much fun to visit with them and hear their stories!! I'm sure they have many other stories to tell!!!

airy

o

airy,

I posted above about the Royalty.

Expect it to clump not sucker. Yes, it will be tall...I would stake them as it sounds like there is only one cane each. You should have large berries next summer from them. They will turn from white to pink to red and then when they are a red/purple that is when they might come off but I usually pick them when they are more into the purple color. They are also riper then.

It is the Royalty here that is producing and producing and producing. Yes, I have picked quite a few pails. And, tomorrow I need to be out there once again.... Thank goodness the Boyne are almost done.

Brenda

o

Re: having too many raspberries and hating seeds... I used to have the same problem and I used my raspberries to make jelly. They make awesome ruby red jelly. I don't hate raspberries because of seeds but they are definitely a little off-putting. You can make jelly out of previously frozen fruit too.

o

Airy, I understand about the seeds and your family preferring them fresh. We use most in purposes where they can be strained to remove the majority of seeds, or again eaten fresh.

"BTW, when do regular canes start producing?" ... I take are you meaning the new canes produced this season? These will develop fruit next year. If they happen to be of the primocane type, this type fruits on these new canes, though are often somewhat late in maturing the fruit ... these canes will also winter over to again produce fruit next season. I hope I've answered your question?

Garden Chicken, Operation Fruit Rescue Edmonton is indeed a very good idea ... there's so much fruit, especially apples that go to waste in people's backyards!

Brenda, I'm gonna start hunting down those Royalty raspberries, I have a nice spot for them ... sounds like they're doing fantastic for you ...

Terry

o

Well, guess what! This morning I trespassed on the next lot, which is empty. Whilst I have one tall, barren cane on my side of the fence, there are a whole whack load of canes on the other side of the fence LOADED with raspberries!!! All purpley/red with many of them on the ground! I picked an ice cream bucket full! My plants figured the lot was green on the other side of the fence, I suppose!

So, I made my rounds of visits today!

I find the Royalty berries a lot mushier and about as sweet as the unknowns I have. Royalty are about the same size, but more elongated. The unknowns are rounder and redder, without the purplish colour. The unknowns cling to the stem(?) better and don't drop, even when really ripe, like the Royalty do as soon as you touch them. I also found a lot of the Royalty canes were lying in the dirt with the berries ruined. The unknowns are short, but don't lay the berries in the dirt, are more upright.

airy

o

Airy, it sure would be great if someone could identify what variety you have there, they sound good. Any chance of posting a photo?

I picked for a few hours yesterday evening and ate and ate as I went along, lol .... indeed I love raspberries fresh from the garden! I would not recommend picking in the evenings, as the dang bumble bees roost upon the plants for the night and one has to be rather careful! A few times I've been stung by bumble bees and it's worse than the sting of most other bees.

o

I grow Red Mammoth raspberries. I love them. They are big and have a very mild flavour. You don't need any sugar when you eat them fresh. I don't use them for jam or jelly though, because of their mild flavour. I grow Boyne to make jam and jelly, because they have a much sharper raspberry flavour.

I find the Mammoth are not quite as vigorous as the Boyne. They are a few days later too, but that's not a problem, because once the Boyne get going, I've got my hands full keeping up to them!

The supplier I got the Mammoth raspberries from has not had any available for the past two springs due to a crop failure, so I wonder if that says something about how hardy they are? Mine have been OK, but I do have them in a sheltered spot.

o

I will take a pic today and give it a try posting it. The grandkids picked the bushes clean today! Hopefully I can find a ripe raspberry!!

airy

o

I emailed the pics to Terry, couldn't figure out how to post them on here, so sorry!!

airy

o

Kato, thank you for your input on Red Mammoth, from your experience it sounds like this one might be lacking a bit in flavor.

Airy, in the future if you'd like to post photos, you will need to get yourself a Photobucket account (or some other) and after uploading your photo there (which is easy) just then copy and past the HTML code within the dialog box right here ... the photo will then be shown in your posting ...

Terry

o

Photos

I post my photos to the garden web gallery and link to there. It doesn't require signing up to yet another service.

Raspberries

I have a variety of unknowns: thorn less, ouch, pick when red, pick when purple, erect, and falling. Most are at the house we are selling and I need to bring some to our current location. The really thorny bushes are volunteers. They hurt and fall over; but, the berries are really nice. The season runs from early July to I'm tired of picking. I've given some away and let other people pick (a really nice option).

I am having trouble with some plants getting small wrinkled leaves and small berries. A local garden centre diagnosed this as water stress. Because I don't water, this might be correct.

o

Tworoses...I saw your first post about some hybrid raspberries. I was very interested in your hybrids of autum bliss and the wyoming purple, along with the other hybrids you have developed. We have a local partnership that is developing two small research and demonstration orchards to test a bunch of new fruit species and cultivars for our area just south of Denver Colorado. Raspberries are one of our primary interests. I have personally grown autumn bliss for years; it does very well here. Is there any way I could get a few samples of some of your hybrids to test here? We are planting in the spring of 2011, but would take them any time they were available if you were willing. Thanks.

o

Hello Andy ... The Autumn Bliss selections that have stood up to my sometimes bitterly cold -40 C temperatures, these produce large tasty fruit upon strong healthy plants. The dozen or so plants still require another year of observation before I can ascertain the best. I will keep you informed of the results.

I have not been nearly as impressed with my Wyoming hybrids, these have been hardy, but fruit production has not been high. They apparently seem to require rather quite fertile soil.

Terry

o

Have tried the variety Joan J It is a strong grower (invasive) and heavy cropper. Darkens very quickly after picking and the skin of the fruit is easily damaged particularly when windy.
The worst thing about it is the flavour. I am trying Polka this year

Here is a link that might be useful: GARDEN BOFFIN

o

Below is a link on these.

Great thread Terry!...Wow, you sure tried many!
I seriously want to plant some more this year since my plants almost all died out, planted about 20 years ago, perhaps my soil is too high in alkaline. The drought we had for about 10 years hasn't helped either. I don't know the variety...got it from somebody, it's a bit a late season.

As far as I understand, your favored berries are...

>Red Mammoth, perhaps a bit too mild flavored?
>Royalty Raspberry...perhaps not hardy for me?
>Boyne, I got one plant last year, perhaps a good old favored?
>Fall Gold, I planted some but most died out, got one plant growing now, it's a good producer and sweet, but too mild for my taste.

Any others you can recommend?
Definitely not interested in late season berries.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Joan J' raspberries

o

Konrad, I've reduced the number of varieties down to just my favorites, I've retained many good seedlings for further evaluation and have an entire row of 'Viking', I consider this thornless variety to be one of the best. Come spring, I can dig you 1/2 a dozen canes, okay?

'Boyne' has very good flavor, though fruit size is smaller compared to others.

'Royalty' is best suited to a well protected location and wise to avoid low lying areas where temperatures really bottom out.

I have not yet tried 'Red Mammoth'

o
RE: Raspberries, what are you grhttp://ads.networldmedia.net/serv

Thank you Terry..this would be nice!
I could trade with something you'd like.

Nothing really on Google for Viking, ..are these early?

Perhaps I try some from Boughen.

Here is a link that might be useful: boughennurseries

o

Yes, Viking is early, it produces heavily in about mid July and one can pick large crops for many weeks to come. The one listed in Boughen's as 'Thornless', this very well could also be 'Viking'. This is an old variety that many folks have growing within their gardens, though the name is most often unknown to them. Being an old timer does not make Viking any the less desirable, for it remains one of the very best.

'Nova' is a newer variety I'd steer away from, both my sister and myself had grown it for several years and were not at all impressed with the rather flavorless fruit ... the description says it has "mild flavor" ... I say it has almost none.

o

Where are people buying Royalty purple raspberry in Canada?... I thought it was only available in the U.S., would be a neat one to try, I understand it has about the biggest berries of any raspberry.

Right now I am growing red (Boyne plus some unknown small-fruited sweeter variety that may have died out now), yellow (Honeyqueen I think) and black raspberries (Wyoming black - small fruited, light producer). I've got them in a rather shady area under some fruit trees and beside a fence... I'm surprised they produce as well as they do as I really planted them there so they would suck up the excess moisture in a wet part of the garden, with fruit being a bonus. Still have a couple bags of them in the freezer.

o

Great Terry!

Looking forward for this one, let me know if you want something...perhaps plum, pear, apple or cherry?

>>Where are people buying Royalty purple raspberry in Canada?.<<

Don,
I found at McFayden

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Raspberry Royalty

o

Thanks for the link to McFayden's and their royalty raspberry. The photo they have of the berries though looks much more like a tayberry (a blackberry/raspberry cross) than a royalty raspberry (a purple raspberry/red raspberry cross). Tayberries are much less hardy, I wonder which theirs is really? One way to find out I suppose... :)

o

Yea...can't really go by today's digital color manipulating, I see,... T&T has also Royalty Raspberry..check it out, their color has to be the worst I've seen!

Here is a link that might be useful: T&T Seeds

o

I put in Red Mammoth a couple years ago. Got a surprisingly good yield last year. I quite liked them. Very large berries, good pulloff, good flavour; sweet with not much tartness at all, they kept for ages too (man, you don't realize just how long "fresh" food is kept in transit until you start growing your own).

Canes do seem to need support though.

I think they are well worth growing.

o

I tried Red Mammoth 3 years ago. The fruit was good. Not many thorns. They just weren't very vigorous. Definitely need support.

o

Konrad, please send me an email regarding the 'Viking' plants I'll have for you come spring. Thanks!

o

Thanks Terry!

Boughen Nursery...check it out, they call the Boyne a very large sweet red and juicy fruit
Other website I've been reading say it's a medium fruit.
What's your opinion?

o

Bonye has medium sized fruit of very good flavor, though under my conditions the plants had grown short and produced an overly thick mass of thin fine canes ... maybe, for others with more fertile soils it might be better.

o

Konrad - yes, the colour on those berries at T&T probably doesn't even exist in nature!!

o

Is the Wyoming Black Raspberry worth growing?
It doesn't look like much of a berry and not loaded like regular one's?

Looks like it's the same as Terry has, he wrote:

Wyoming Purple ... unique flavor, smallish berries, rather hardy, vicious thorns! I have some hybrids of these selected for having few thorns and good fruit quality.

o

Konrad, the flavor of 'Wyoming Purple' is distinct and delicious, though the fruit is rather small and be prepared for the vicious thorns that reach out and grab you, so best to wear long sleeves when working around the plants. Also, winter damage will likely be an issue in colder low lying areas. I no longer have this variety, though might again obtain it for breeding purposes.

o

Many years ago I had great success with Purple Royalty. They are very sweet, big and flavourful and the canes are very vigorous. We have moved and I would like to start a new patch. Does anybody know who sells Purple Royalty in Canada? I have phoned around to different nurseries and they are either sold out for the season or they do not carry them. Thank you in advance.

o

Planted Kiwi Gold from Vesey's last year and there was fruit in the fall. Excellent flavour and looked as though a good yielding variety. Then the deer found the garden and ate off all the leaves. They started out bravely this spring but after at least 2 killing frosts, there's nothing growing.

Vesey's substituted Kiwi Gold when I ordered Anne so I might try again, see if they have any around.

o

Ure,..have you tried Mcfaiden

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Raspberry Royalty

o

Just bought a package of Royalty raspberries from McFayden..jeeze, Konrad, thanks for enabling my spending habits ha ha. Looking forward to tasting them in a couple of years!

o

I've had Fall Gold in my garden for many years. It actually overwintered in the pot I bought it in because I forgot to plant it. Can't get much hardier than that! I only get a handful here and there; it isn't too prolific and as mentioned above, the fruit comes apart readily.

I grew a black raspberry about fifteen years ago...bought it in a 4" pot and it grew incredibly well. It never produced much and it was planted in a bad place so I let my husband move it. It didn't survive the move, but I didn't miss it too much because of the low production and so-so taste.

My red raspberries are unnamed. They were given to me many years ago. The whole patch was dug up five years ago and replanted because the bed was overrun with quackgrass. I need to remember to water that area really well when the berries are producing, I'm sure I'd get a better crop then.

o

This rather dated (2000) publication by the Alberta government:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex817

says that purple and black raspberries are not hardy in the province, with the possible exception of Lowden Black and Wyoming (and I notice that my 6-8 ft. tall Wyoming canes from last year are only sprouting out on the bottom 2 feet this spring...). So has anyone actually grown Royalty Purple in the prairies and if so, how did it do?

o

I think one has to try on their site to see what fits the bill. A spot with the most snow cover can help too. Some are growing the purple....see above.

Just found a old test report,..looks like the Chief is on top, luckily this one I just bought, now I have several which will be in a test plot,...after a good weed control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Test

o

I have grown Boyne for several years and had mixed success. Some springs they look like dead sticks from so much winter kill but I always have some to pick. Steer clear of Marketland supersweet from Bowden Nurseries. I have tried them now for about 5 years and what a waste of space! They are the most tasteless things I have ever tasted!

o

When you say the honey queen is a short plant, how short are you talking.? I live in town, zone 3 and plan to plant some raspberries in a raised bed. Do you think these would be low enough to not tower over everything?

o

My Honeyqueen or Anne... can't remember which yellow variety with certainty... get about 4' tall, vs my Boyne which get about 6' tall. If 4' is still taller than you want, you can always top the primocanes at whatever height you want in the fall, and the next year they will put out lots of side branches and still produce very well, but stay at about the height you pruned them.

o

Thanks don555
Do you know of any red varieties that get only 4' tall. Also how small is the smallest bed you think I can successfully grow raspberries? My plan is a raised bed about 3'high 6-8' long and about 4' wide. Is a bed this small even worth planting? I'm thinking I would get maybe 4-6 canes. What do you think?

o
Raspberries in a container?

Thanks don555
Do you know of any red varieties that get only 4' tall. Also how small is the smallest bed you think I can successfully grow raspberries in? My plan is a raised bed about 3'high 6-8' long and about 4' wide. Is a bed this small even worth planting? I'm thinking I would get maybe 4-6 canes. What do you think?

o

"Chief" is shorter red variety that is supposed to be very hardy and gets sweeter but smaller berries than Boyne. I had some in my garden and they only got about 3 or 4 feet tall so got crowded out by the more aggressive varieties. My criticism of Chief would be that the berries were much smaller than Boyne so there was a lot more picking needed for the same volume of berries. Should be lots of reds to suit your 4' tall wishes, I'm just not familiar with many varieties.

I'm not familiar with raised beds either, but aren't they used mainly for annual vegetables? Being raised above the ground level the soil heats up much faster, which is great for rapid summer growth. But since they are raised they are also far more exposed to winter cold so I would think winter damage of perennials like raspberries would be much worse in a raised bed than in the open garden, particularly root damage.

As for the size of the bed, I think that is fine. Spacing of plants is usually 2 or 3 feet, but each plant will put up many canes once the plants are established, and you will be thinning them to about 3 canes per foot, which would give you 18-24 canes and lots of berries.

o

Don, I'll have to post on here next spring and tell you how my Royalty did, and whether they pulled through. I only bought 1 pkg, which was 3 canes, and one died soon after I planted it. So I'll see whether they other two winter kill this spring.

The black/dark purple raspberry that I got from a kindly old guy at church is Wyoming, I think. This will be the first spring since I planted it, but I did see his other plants which he has had for quite a few years and they were about 4 ft tall. From how big they can apparently get, looks like he gets lots of winter kill too.

o

Weeper, yes please post in Spring and let us know how the Royalty made it through the winter. I was looking at the University of Saskatchewan's "popular fruit varieties 2010" webpage and I see they include Royalty purple raspberry and rate it at zone 3, which is a hardier rating than I've seen elsewhere. It will be interesting to know how it overwintered for you.

o

About a year ago, twrosz wrote:
"Boyne has medium sized fruit of very good flavor, though under my conditions the plants had grown short and produced an overly thick mass of thin fine canes."

I have to ask... Terry are you absolutely certain those are Boyne? I have Boyne growing on a crappy side of my garden, with shading from an apple and two plum trees, yet I find they have very big fruit and the canes easily get to 6 feet most years. Thin canes are not something I have seen... these grow thick and vigorous canes, even under a half day or more of shade. Just wondering.

o

I see in the first thread from twrosz..
>>Bonye ... very good flavor, small berries (at least for me) ... I have removed them.<<

This might be Boyne?
Most nurseries say that it's a medium fruit.
For this reason I haven't ordered any last year,...have put in a new raspberry patch, also got some purple royalty, I'll let you know what the winter did to them. The patch gets good snow cover, so I might be OK?

o

Don, I had received Boyne from Boughen Nurseries, though now after further reading, I've found it stated that Boyne are medium to tall growing. Those had been particularly hot dry growing years, though other varieties had been much more vigorous under the same conditions ... so, yes, does leave me wondering if I had the real McCoy?

I would like to give Royalty another try ... winters don't seem to be so bone chilling cold as when I had attempted them twenty five years ago ... back then, only canes buried under the snow would survive.

o

Boughen from Sask. call's the Boyne as,...[Very large sweet red and juicy fruit].
It sounds like you got scr.....
Most other nurseries call this as medium fruit, I questioned about this with Boughen last year but they stick with "VERY LARGE"

On a plum I bought from them, [Greenville] found out later when it fruited that it was a root stock,..not buying anymore from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boughen

o

Ok. So I have Boyne, Red River and who knows. They just are not doing much. They are in a nice sunny area, with lots of space. Do I need to water more? compost more? give them a raised bed? Been trying for two years, nothing. Thoughts?

o

• Posted by NW22 none (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 20:56

I have some SK Red Mammoth planted about 1 hour NE of Edmonton, Alberta.

If the pictures do indeed upload for me, this is some of my August 2013 crop.

Lots of berries are 1 inch high and 1 inch in diameter.

I can't seem to upload more than 1 image at a time.

o

I'm growing Boyne and Autumn Britten. Autumn Britten is a fall berry that is supposed to be an early variety. However, 2 out of 3 years, frost kills the blossoms and fruit before there is any real harvest. This year will be the one of the good years. They are a very large, sweet berry but lack the intense raspberry flavor that Boyne has. I agree with Konrad... I would never plant another fall berry. Just too many "No Crop" years.

Picture of my row of Boyne:

photo FruitPatchJuly222013002_zpsc1b54bdb.jpg

This years Autumn Britten berry picture:

Autumn Britten Raspberries photo Fruit-BluesampRaspberries2013007_zpse92ddfbf.jpg

This years picture of a pile of Boyne berries:
Boyne photo Fruit-BluesampRaspberries2013005_zps88101a8c.jpg

Do any of you water your raspberries heavily just before the ground freezes to prevent winter die back?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here