Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
del_s

Question for northern daylily hybridizers

del_s
14 years ago

After the infamous Tissue Culture Shock of 2008, we were down to a very few, by which I mean 3, mature daylily plants. This past winter, we ordered a number of new daylilies, and as blooms have coincided, I have been attempting to cross some of the new pollen to the old plants. So far no success in obtaining pods. This is our experimental year, mainly to gain some experience in producing seed and over the winter to grow seedlings. I have tried midmorning, early afternoon, sunnier days, cloudier days. Temps have not been uber-hot, early to mid 20'sC. Pollen seems to be nice and fluffy and adheres well when applied to the receiving bloom. Any suggestions? So far the only pod parent available is Bela Lugosi. Not sure what kind of parent this variety is. Is success temperature-dependent, time-of-day dependent, variety dependent, anti-new-to-this-whole-process dependent? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• valleyrimgirl
    14 years ago

Are you trying to cross a diploid with a tetraploid?

Double check the daylilies you have there and be sure to cross the dips with dips and tets with tets.

My daylilies just started to bloom here and I have just started to do some crosses but it is too early to see if any pods have formed. I will know in the next few days.

I did Quest of Dreams on Destined to See and visa versa. Chicago Ruby on Now and Zen and visa versa. Then, 1/2 hour later it rained. :(

Oh well...the next day I did Spacecoast Starburst on Quest of Dreams and on Chicago Ruby...so I'll see if that takes as it didn't rain after that.

I don't find doing crosses time of day dependant. I did all kinds of crosses last year and sent the resulting seeds that developed to friends to grow. I didn't notice any were temp dependant either. But, then, I am also new to this hybridizing idea too.

Brenda

• del_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am aware of the dip/tet limitation, so have been careful as to what I try. Do you try to cross daylilies the same year you purchase them? How long do you find it takes for your seeds to mature? So if it rains after you pollinate, the cross won't take. Discouraging, because it's supposed to rain all week this week... Thanks for replying.
    Del

• valleyrimgirl
    14 years ago

This summer, I have used the pollen from newly purchased daylilies to cross with.

Last year I did some crossing with newly purchased daylilies...ones that were very mature fans. I probably shouldn't have but I did, as they will have put energy into making the seed pod and could have spent that energy in making a few more roots. But, they still all survived last winter, so....

As for maturity of the seed pods...I had no problem last year in finding the pods maturing on the plants. It was into September when I was harvesting pods. This summer with it being so cool the daylilies are just starting and maybe I won't get any harvesting done...I don't know.

Brenda

• cmmwiebe
    14 years ago

Good luck with these projects. I don't have room to try and grow more but did have success just growing some collected seeds 2 years ago. The site I am linking to is a great pictorial!

Here is a link that might be useful: Eldon Welch Seed instruction photos

• del_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just checked out the Eldon Welch pics. That series of pictures is a great reference! First time I have seen posted pics of ripe seed pods ready for harvest. I have a number of seed pods growing, some on the Bela Lugosi plant, which are now getting to be a fairly good size, and some on Sir Modred, which are still quite small. Also have 1 pod growing on a new plant (I know, probably shouldn't have done that, but the plant has been an exceptionally strong grower). That pod is also quite large by this point. Thanks for providing the reference.

• Joan Dupuis
    14 years ago

Oh wow. Thanks for the link. Beautiful seedlings he has there. I have a few pods myself getting quite fat. They are on seedlings I grew, so nobody famous, but I liked the seedling flowers. Too bad I'm running out of room in my flower beds.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996