Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Who are the "superstars" in your yard this season?

ostrich
10 years ago

As it is quickly coming towards the end of summer, I am wondering who are the "superstars" in your yard this year, in terms of their growth and blooming power?

Mine are:

1. Quick Fire hydrangea - this one was just planted last year and has demonstrated some tremendous growth this year, with tons of lovely flowers! Just take a look:

2. Geranium "Rozanne" - as you saw in the photo above, this guy was trying to take over my yard! LOL! I only planted some small gallon pots last year, and yet, they are already HUGE this year!!! A non-stoppable blooming machine too. Very nice.

3. Sambucus "Black Lace" - I just simply could not believe how well this guy has done since last year! Not only did it not have much die back (it's grown in a relatively sheltered location), it's also grown to be about 4 feet tall already! Lovely shrub indeed.

4. Morden Sunrise - All of my Morden roses have done superbly well (Morden Belle, Morden Blush) but I really have to mention this guy here - I bought a small pot from CT earlier in the season, I did not like where I planted it, moved it three times, almost got murdered by me, and yet, it came back nicely and now it's blooming!!! Look:

5. Artemisia Silvermound - oh my goodness, I got these in some tiny little pot at the end of the season last year, now it is HUGE! Love it.

6. Nepeta "Walker's Low" - this beauty was in a small pot from Home Depot last year, and now it is almost full size! It was the first to bloom in my yard and now 2 months later, it's still blooming. Gorgeous!

7. Hydrangea Incrediball - Just blooming now. Very nice.

8. Coreopsis "Zagreb" - these guys were planted last year and they are already a huge mound of bright yellow flowers!

I just hope that it was not just a fluke since we had a mild winter in Calgary last year.... hopefully, these will continue to do well here!

What are your "superstars"???

Comments (25)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Well, since this is my first year gardening flowers outside of containers and first time with vegetables in containers (weird reversal) I am not sure I really have any superstars.

I must say that my Morden Sunrise is definitely close to being a superstar. I got mine in a small pot as well and now it is almost 3'x3'. Only once it did not having any blooms and that was just after planting. I like it so much I plan on getting another to plant right beside it.

My perennial bed is sort of 'meh'. I am not quite happy with my arrangements the only thing that really showed up and produced was my foxgloves. Some are still yet to bloom so time will tell. I definitely need some colorful partial sun plants.

My hydrangea's, like everything else, are still new so I am not surprised that only one has been blooming, the bella anna with some very nice red balls. My annabelle and Endless summers are growing well but I don't think they will do anything this year. The Pee Gee is just starting to bud out but it has grown in leaps and bounds.

Even though an annual ALL my coleus (50 some plants) has been a complete and utter disappointment. While producing great color they have barely grown since planted out 3 months ago.

Most of my gardens are either annuals or bulbs and those are doing very well.

In conclusion I guess Morden Sunrise really is my superstar, the one, the only. :)

SCG

• kioni
    10 years ago

Your flowering shrubs looks so good ostrich. Our yard has mainly shrubs of the none flowering kind, like mugho and junipers, a couple of potentillas. The rest is wood chips for cover, and pots for annuals (which I love).

Don't give up on coleus SCG! It sounds like they were planted in soil, I notice many of the bedding plants are too delicate to place in ground soil, and perform way better in light fluffy peat based potting soil. And, well, I simply adore coleus, it is too bad I am lousy at combining colours, so sometimes when I stick them in pots with other types of annuals thinking they'll compliment well, they don't!

I have one coleus I just can't find the right spot for (because it is so darned sensitive to the amount of sun it does or does not receive) and I can't seem to make a good combo with other plants, so I'm best to plant it on it's own and it'll shine (if I get it right!) I've kept this coleus over winter for at least 5 years now, each fall I say I've had it, I'm letting it go (because it's not a common one the garden centers bring in - it was a Peavey rescue) and then I think - okay, I'll try it with such and such, one last time! I will probably play that scene out again this year...

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter's Wonder coleus at Rosy Dawn's

• north53 Z2b MB
    10 years ago

I love coleus, but like SCG I have been sorely disappointed in them this year. Even the ones in pots are leaving much to desire.
    My one and only 'superstar' that pops to mind in my Suncrest lily. It really was spectacular. I haven't down loaded pictures of it yet, but will post it when I do.
    Kioni, I would be saving that coleus if I had it also. It is a beauty.
    Ostrich, what are the silvery clumps in front of the hydrangea? That is a nice combination.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

My Centrefold lily is gorgeous again this year!

• northspruce
    10 years ago

The big star in my garden this year is a daylily called Matt that Laurie gave me a few years ago. It has been smothered in flowers for weeks. Always Afternoon and Strutter's Ball always look great too.

It's been a fairly steadily moist summer so my hostas and ligularias are looking immaculate. It takes several wet years in a row for slugs to show up, so there are none and all the leaves are shiny and perfect.

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

It would have to be my lilies. Mainly because I have more of them than anything else. Also love my phlox

10 years ago

I am with north53, both in pots and in ground they are leaving me wanting more. I doubt I will buy seed again. Too much effort for lack lustre results, even though I love the colours.

Coleus = Non-superstar status...

Morden Sunrise = Superstar

Lol

• northspruce
    10 years ago

Oh gosh coleus has never done a single thing for me. I've grown it from seed and bought flats and it just sits there and sits there and sometimes dies. :(

John Davis rose is looking nice this summer. It repeats nicely and blooms in big clusters.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG - you have a lot of coleus!!! I grew them in pots at one point, too but as I move away from annuals, I stopped growing them too. I do have to agree that their colours are spectacular! Isn't Morden Sunrise just so pretty!? :-)

Thanks, kioni and north53. The silver ground cover in front of Quick Fire is Cerastium Tomentosum ("Snow in Summer"). It is truly lovely! The foliage colour is gorgeous, and these were just planted this year.

Marcia, your Centrefold Lilies are just out of this world! They are extremely beautiful - thanks for the photo!

northspruce and beegood, do you have some photos to show off your lovelies please? Would love to see them!

Thanks everyone for sharing!!!

• don555
    10 years ago

For me, probably clematis:

• debbiecz3
    10 years ago

Gillian, you posted a comment about your Strutters Ball daylily looking good. I have this one and the flower scapes seem very weak; flowers almost lying on the ground. The scapes are very long compared to any other of my day lilies. They are shaded later in the afternoon so maybe not enough sun? They did the same thing last year so does not seem to be the weather. Any ideas?

10 years ago

Hey, finally able to get in here (maybe - i was in before and my post just sat there and then the whole page froze - guess it's not the "Far North" forum for nothing! LOL) Just wanted to tell Don that his clematis are awesome! Do you do anything special with them? Only Nelly Moser bloomed for me this summer and only for a few weeks.

• northspruce
    10 years ago

Debbie, I always find Strutter's Ball very large and robust. The scapes have never flopped on mine, not sure what could be wrong...
    My yard is all part shade so I don't think it gets an exceptional amount of sun.

• debbiecz3
    10 years ago

Even the foliage is a bit on the droopy side; maybe some sort of crown rot. Think I will dig it up and have a look once flowering is done. Thanks Gillian.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

Rudbeckia Indian Summer, Rozanne cranesbill, Winnipeg Parks Rose, and a self seeded sunflower that has blooms from top to bottom.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

Rozanne and Winnipeg Parks

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

Mystery sunflower.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! Don, your clematis are simply spectacular!!! What is the pink one at the top? That is very pretty. The purple is lovely too - is that Jackmanii?

Shillanorth, those are really lovely blooms! I see that Rozanne is trying to take over your yard too, just like how it tries to with mine! LOL! Love your Winnipeg Parks roses - I really want one too, just don't have the space for it.... hmm.... let me think... :-)

10 years ago

This is a great thread.. as I evaluate things I find more and more things I enjoy about my plants...

Rudebeckia 'Prairie Sun' Always in bloom and lasts weeks as a cut flower.

Zinnia 'benary giants' same as above.

Clematis Jackmanni Superba..while not nearly as nice as don's it has climbed over 10' in a few months. I won't talk about the others as deer munched them.

My various dahlia's are awesome and I have a hard time dead heading.

Then, we are back to the superstar Morden Sunrise. While the blooms don't last long in the heat they are relentless. I pruned 20 tonight expecting 15 new in the morning....I love this rose!!

Then again I am one whacked fellow..lol

SCG

• north53 Z2b MB
    10 years ago

Marcia, that Centerfold is spectacular!
    SCG, coleus usually do great for me. I'm not sure what the problem is this year, but I agree, they are better in containers.
    Don, those clematis are outstanding. I can only hope mine ever give me such a show.
    Shillinorth, Now I want to try Rozanne. Anyone growing it in my zone? I haven't tried Indian Summer rudbeckia, but I do have Tiger Eye which is a great performer also.

So here's a shot of the Suncrest lily. Others have had great results with this lily, but this is the first time mine has ever had this many blooms. Previously, I was lucky to get 3 flowers.

This filipendula was given to me last year and I was excited to see it bloom.

This is a fibrous begonia I tried this year. I've been trying to get a good picture of it all summer without luck.
    I just love it.

10 years ago

Those are lovely, Marie! The lilies are seeming to like the cooler weather.

I love filipendula too, but it really wants to rule the world. Watch out for runners!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

north53, would you mind showing a shot of the filenpendula from a distance please? Would love to see how it looks in contrast with other plants. Thanks!

• northspruce
    10 years ago

So sad seeing all your beautiful lilies, and mine chomped by LBs. Actually Sugar Jewel still looked nice even though it was chewed, it's probably my best lily.

Here's my Strutter's Ball

And Always Afternoon

They're not new or fancy but they have a nice presence in the garden.

An unlikely hero this summer is my Mountain Ash. It's loaded with berries! The waxwings will be happy.

10 years ago

OMG northspruce, one of my favourite times of the year is when the waxwings come and get drunk on ash berries. So comical.

Please get us some video LOL

SCG

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

I have really enjoyed my garden this spring and summer as well

And have had lots of super stars Just I am not good at all at putting up pictures

Clematis where for sure fantastic best any year yet. As where Iris, day lilies a variety of them and most purchased over the years from We are in the Hayfield now. Just now are the phlox in whites and pinks mostly And salvias, which have bloomed all summer.
    In m pond is Pickeral weed I don't use a pump in the pond and picked up a piece of this plant some years ago It looks so nice and tidy and has a nice blue flower to it which lasts for three weeks at least . It competes with water lilies in the pond but neither are overly aggressive . Fish have lots of hiding places.
    In pots I have tropicals mostly and Brugmansia my favourites are actually going to bloom this year. Before the frost.
    Wish I had pictures for you all looks so good seeing photographs of other peoples gardens.