Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Norkent Apple Ripening Time

Posted by ziggro (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 0:22

I was wondering if any of y'all could tell me when your Norkent apples ripen. There is a wide variation in the reports I've found online--some say Norkent is ready a week after Goodland, others say two or three weeks before. What is your experience with this?

I'm trying to figure out whether Norkent will ripen properly in my short-season garden. Goodland is right on the edge--only about 50% of the time will it ripen here before a serious freeze turns it to mush.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Norkent Apple Ripening Time

I find both will ripen about the same time.
Last year I had some people in the U pick when both were ready, they loved the Goodland,..me the other hand love the Norkent, also keeps way longer crisp in storage.

Normally, the first couple of frost are not deep freezes, apples can take around minus 3C. Sometimes after a light frost the wheather can be very nice for another couple of weeks, finishing off these late apples, ...so don't panic when a light frost comes around.

This post was edited by konrad___far_north on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 1:56

o

Konrad, thanks for the info!

I understand about the earlier, light frosts...we can actually get them here at any time through the summer. When I'm talking about a "serious freeze," I mean one that ends the growing season, from -6 to -8 C. Often we'll get a freeze like that here before the last week of September...and in half of the years, my Goodlands won't be ripe yet by that point.

o

It seems your climate is very similar when I heard your Evans cherry are ready to pick, same here, this weekend I will pick some.
By mid Sept. usually most is ready to pick,..even when not fully ripe on the tree, take them into storage, [they store much longer then ripe fruits] in a couple of weeks they taste nice.
Norkent taste very decant when seeds are not fully brown. Goodland the other hand taste pretty harsh from the tree.

o

Thanks, Konrad, you pretty well answered my concerns. I have a small Norkent in the ground that won't fruit for several years, but now I think I'll add a couple more of them.

o

It's not really the year for apples,..resting, but one tree with only 2 Norkent I picked today and ready to eat.

Sept.1, 2013 photo IMG_8724_zps215703cd.jpg

Seeds just starting to turn brown.

Sept.1, 2013 photo IMG_8731_zps54ae746e.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here