Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree I.D. please

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 0:51

Found this in the bush while picking berries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree I.D. please

two

o

three,

from the inside

o

from the distance,
could it be pear?

o

konrad, I am no tree expert at all, but when I saw the leaves, my first reaction was also, "was this a pear tree"?

o

Might it be a Ure pear tree from Morden? They have darker willow like bark. :)

Ginny

o

Thank you all!

It could have been only from bird droppings,..far away from any houses, looks like it will never bear any fruits since it has no pollinator, ..unless,...
I might get some scion wood, [like to know what pears it will be] and also graft another couple of cultivars on this tree for pollination, wildlife can benefit then.

One never knows,...it could be a decant Pear.

Somewhere in Quebec on a hunting trip in the woods, the hunters came onto a plum tree which had very nice tasting plums, ..it turned out that it's a very hardy plum, European, good tasting!
I got it grafted now,..need another couple of years for it to fruit.

They think that a bear was feasting on someones plums in town and relieved itself back in the woods.

It could also be deer or moose I would think because I had lots
of plums last year in the nursery taken away.

o

My vote is pear Konrad.

It is funny you mention volunteers. That is how a bird sat in one of my pots and relieved itself only later yield a cape gooseberry. One I might add that yielded lantern like fruit which were sweeter than any I have ever eaten in the store.

I was thinking they might be a good variant to sweet cherries at the farmers market as the bing cherry year ends before the ground cherry begins.

o

A local fruit expert, Thean, say's,..Everything, twigs, leaves and buds, resembles a crabapple.

Another local expert, Wayne,...
Michurin has noted that pears can be parthenocarpic. I have seen this as well. (Fruiting without seed).

Also the pictures show leaf type like some Malus baccatta trees. I have noticed that the pure MB look almost like pear.
Certainly well worth pursuing.

Collin, I've eaten them, taste nice! I just don't want to grow them every year, tomato is all we can handle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here