Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_northrose

Roses around Calgary and area

Hello, I am new, a novice rose gardener. I got the rose itch this year. I thought I would start with just one this year, now it's turned into 6:

3 Winnipeg parks
2 Emily Carr
1 possible Therese bugnet. Mislabelled as a Winnipeg parks, which I am sure it is not.

The Winnipeg parks are from golden acre, came in biodegradable paper pots. The base stem are very thick and woody, over 1" to 1 1/2" across, looked like plants several years old. I learned today that it came from eagle lake nursery, just outside of strathmore. I will have to check them out one day.

I was surprised to find Emily Carr from Canadian tire, although the stems are not as thick, the plants are very vigorous. The tag said they have come from bylands nursery in the okanagan. Saw its first bloom today, what a lovely red. The Therese bugnet(I hope) was on discount for $3, was very sad and straggly, it's now coming along quite nicely.

Roses were 25% off at GA today. I was very tempted, but thought it would be a bit of a risk with the cold just around the corner here north of calgary. And the idea of digging another rose hole.... My fingers are crossed for the roses I do have, they were all planted a little late, a couple in pots, a couple in raised beds (it was a mushy spring), one is very deep, and another a little higher, so we shall see.

Thank you for all the tips on this forum, it has been very helpful. We've done well with house plants and vegetables, even a tangerine tree and an army of amaryllis Lillies so hopefully this new rose adventure will be positive.

This post was edited by prairie_northrose on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 16:58

Comments (20)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forums Prairie_northrose!

There are quite a few very good rosarians on this forum that will be able to help you with protecting your roses from mother nature. From what I understand Calgary is a very challenging climate it is difficult enough to visit can't imagine living there again...lol.

Not to try and enable you but Palatine Roses will be accepting orders starting Sept 8...

We would also love to see pictures of your roses!

Look up PAD (Plant Acquisition Disorder) in the search box of this forum. You are starting to show symptoms, I am the forum Psychologist for plant related disorders.

Again welcome to the forums!

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Hi & welcome. I can't give you great advice because I've never gardened in Calgary, but from what I understand lack of snow cover combined with fluctuating temperatures can make rose gardening difficult. Here in MB I cover my roses with fall leaves and loosely wrap them with burlap, just to hold the leaves down. I also shovel snow over them as needed throughout the winter.

Your roses might die back somewhat or completely in the winter. Just wait to see what's still alive in the spring, prune off what's not, and with decent luck they will grow back quickly to bloom each year.

Winnipeg Parks is a fairly small rose and not especially hardy or vigorous but it should be okay. Emily Carr is a monster in my mom's garden. I'll have to post a photo sometime.

Personally I wouldn't plant roses in the fall in our climate.

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you SCG and northspruce. I will have to check out Palatine. I was very sad to hear about Pickering Nursuries. We stopped by Bluegrass today, they had their roses on for about $29. Lots of blooming Morden Centennials, but unfortunately they all had blackspot. The persian yellow looked very healthy, but I am unsure how long they have been at the nursery. As winter nears, I'll definitely be looking to gather leaves and burlap. I may also test out peat moss as suggested by the Calgary Rose Society book, and perhaps straw.

Here is my mystery rose:

Emily carr in a bucket. Looks happy, it's gone up half a foot in growth since transplanting. I will test wintering in pots(bucket in my case), through some very helpful suggestions from Carol on this forum:

Emily carr in a raised bed:

A miniature that came with the house, no idea what it is:

3 Winnipeg parks. The on the far left was planted very deep, it was originally taller than the one in the middle. It's taken longer to get new growth. The middle one was planted higher. The left and middle, according to golden acre, are from Eagle Lake nurseries. The one on the right is from Bylands, which will be wintered in a pot:

This post was edited by prairie_northrose on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 23:18

9 years ago

Very nice, unfortunately the pic for your NO ID didn't come through.

With the freeze thaws calgary gets I am sure your in for a challenge to winter in pots. I plan to overwinter quite a few things this year in pots but also am going to sink them in the ground.

Sorry I can't be of help with the mini either. Have you dug around the union to see if there is a metal ID tag?

My 'Emily Carr' is sporting one new bloom now after being almost totally defoliated by deer. Nice to see as she was putting on an amazing flush when the big slugs got to her.

Keep the pics coming :)

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Try again, mystery rose:

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Yeah, it looks Bugnet-ish. It'll be easier to tell when it blooms.

There are a lot of minis that are sold unnamed. Often the minis sold in grocery stores will grow nicely if you plant them outside. I have a Kordes mini that DH bought me for some obligatory holiday a few years ago, that does awesome in the garden. I've done some research and can't find a name for it, even though I know the breeder.

• shazam_z3
    9 years ago

Calgary gardener here.

No need to protect hardy roses unless you really want to.

You can plant in fall just fine. It's actually a very good time.

You can plant in pots and then put the pot in the ground.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you shazam, that is good to know. We ended up planting Emily Carr in the ground this weekend, she was getting too big to manage in a pot.

Fall is a beautiful time around Calgary. I have a suspicion that our summers are extending into what would be considered fall. With the late summer start, it would not surprise me if it stays warm-ish into October.

After checking out the nursuries, I think my mystery $3 rose may be Rosa Wodsii, not Therese Bugnet. There are many thorns on the new stems, and most of the leaves are more round, not pointed.

What patience this takes as I begin selecting and planting. I am looking forward to year three.

P.S. shazam - the "horribly detailed rose report" post you began has been very helpful to me, I refer to the post often

This post was edited by prairie_northrose on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 13:02

9 years ago

The nice thing about Calgary is if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes. The best part is it will always surprise you whether +22 on xmas day or -109 on halloween. hehe

SCG

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I've never had much luck growing Winnipeg Parks...tried a few times, just like Morden Sunrise...they aren't hardy for my zone. I've had good results with Hope for Humanity, Cuthbert Grant, Alexander Mackenzie, Morden Blush/Ruby and Adelaide Hoodless. How can you tell I favour red roses, lol.

If blackspot bothers you, I have read that the yellow roses are prone to it, at least the ones that descend from Persian Yellow.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna, does your Cuthbert Grant have any fragrance?

I learned that I like slight fragrance, even if it is a little bit, and also learned that many of the new-ish hardy roses unfortunately are not heavy on fragrance (oh well, I guess I can't have it all!)

I have no idea what to expect this winter. Last one was something like below (my winnipeg parks is planted on the right side of the photo). But at the end of the day, I'd rather have the occasional chinook over the difficulty of gardening with unreliable snow cover.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I'll have to check whether it has fragrance - it's planted in a less than ideal spot on a sunny slope. It lives and blooms despite my neglect ;).

To be honest, I don't plant roses for fragrance since I would have to coddle the strongly scented ones that grow in warmer zones - not going to happen. I grow other plants that make up for it, like sweet peas, night scented stock, oriental lilies, etc.

9 years ago

Out of what has been mentioned that I have or been around 'Morden Sunrise' has the best scent. In my yard some days it wafts. Whether it will survive for you is another thing...barely made it here this past winter.

How about 'Rose de Rescht' It has some scent in my yard, is recurrent and hardy. How about a rugosa like 'Hansa' or 'Roseriae d'lhay'?

Another plant that has great scent at night is Nicotiana. Everyone that is in my yard during the evening comments on it. I can send seeds if you want.

SCG

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

My Winnipeg Parks and Morden Sunrise die back to the ground every year but always come back. They have about a 2 inch covering of shredded cedar mulch and snow when we get it and a scoop of bone meal and blood meal in the spring. Otherwise, that`s all the pampering they get. One new one that is looking very promising is Campfire from the Canadian Artists series.

9 years ago

Yes, 'Campfire' is looking good. After seriously getting mowed down by deer it is growing like crazy in this cooler weather and tossing some blooms. I just went out and it does have a nice light scent for me, not quite as strong as 'Morden Sunrise'. I love the looks of the blooms as they are opening.

SCG

• tlshort
    8 years ago

My Persian Yellows have not bloomed get, they look very healthy, But I am worried I will not see blooms before the summer is out. Should I be concerned or not.

Original Author
    8 years ago

How long have they been in the ground for?

I read of a similar situation, roses in the ground, and leaching of high nitrogen fertilizer from the lawn nearby prevented the roses from blooming.

• wayne
    8 years ago

Plus they are once bloomers although if they have not bloomed this year yet they may set buds and bloom in the fall. Mine did that last year, set buds but they were way to late so I pinched them off. That plant died and I am trying again with another.

• Brandon_Calgary_Z3
    8 years ago

My Persian Yellows hasn't bloomed either. It's the first year. Hopefully it will do something this season.