Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

What fruit is ready

Konrad___far_north
12 years ago

I have picked some chokecherries on a tree I have planted about

15 years ago from a seedling, ripens about the same time

as Saskatoon. I sure love this tree...about 20 feet tall, it blooms earlier too then native chokecherry. The cedar waxwings are around and it's a good year for birds what eat berries.

Some pin cherries I picked also, this weekend I should start on

the Evans, some I leave on till it gets really cold.

Comments (21)

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Very few cherries but they are ripe. My 4 in 1 apple tree has some ready and some a little ways to go. The hi bush cranberries are loaded with fruit and not quite there yet and waiting for a frost. Sea buckthorn has to have the branches propped. Too heavy, My HardiMac ( planted last fall) survived the winter well but only had a few blossoms . But I did not expect anything. Really grew like crazy in the summer.

• ziggro
    12 years ago

Must be nice to be in the banana belt. Lots of pie cherries here...Mesabi nearly ready, but Evans probably won't be before the first of September. Soonest apples are probably still a month away.

I am getting a lot of raspberries now!:)

• don555
    12 years ago

Saskatoons over. Raspberries slowing now but still producing. Second-year Evans cherry picked and made into a pie, yum. Apples seem biennial, this is the non-producing year. Pears, plums, blackberries, grapes, yet to come.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

My new gooseberry bush came with tiny unripe berries on it and I didn't have the heart to remove them. I ate the last one about 2 weeks ago, I think it was just about ripe. It was tasty! Hope the bush survives for next year.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice going!
    Beegood, I have some high bush cranberries too, since they're
    out in the open, the hail got them pretty bad, but these I usually
    let the birds have. I like to see what your hardy Mac will be like
    when it comes to production, I have one and it's not too hardy,
    had some apples last year but couldn't fully ripen in our climate.

Ziggro
    What zone are you in?
    Are you on top of Mount St. Helen, LOL

Don, have you ever made Evans Cherry Jam...it makes very nice Jam!

Northspruce, I also have gooseberry, some are ready top pick, lots
    fall off from some kind of fruit maggot attack...not sure how to control this, same with black currants, on the red currant, I never have anything for myself, thinking of pulling this one out and replacing with another, a coworker has these, loaded and never has problem.

My Raspberries almost completely died out,...not many plants left from many years of drought, I need to re do the patch,...I miss them!

• ziggro
    12 years ago

Konrad,
    USDA map shows me to be in zone 4, but I suspect we're closer to zone 3. We are in a mountain valley in Montana (4700') that is a frost trap and where summers are short.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds like you're in a nice place to live, ..at least you still can
    grow something...hoping for a extended season in your neck of
    the woods too.

• ljpother
    12 years ago

The raspberries are slowing down -- most didn't get picked. I picked red and black currants. I got 2 litres from the bottom quarter of my big currant bush. I cut it back last year but it doesn't show. I think I have an Evans cherry; its sour anyway; that's ready to pick. I'm going to start working on my big apple tree, green with a little red and tart. The other apple is a biennial. You'd think every other year would break the apple maggot cycle. The gooseberries I started from cuttings had a few berries.

• don555
    12 years ago

Don, have you ever made Evans Cherry Jam...it makes very nice Jam!
    I haven't tried making jam from them -- we rarely eat jam -- but I am impressed at what great pie they make! One of my main reasons for growing Evan's cherry, plus the 4 new cherry introductions from the U. of Sask. that I added this year, is to produce cherry-beer, once I get the cherry production ramped up to the point where I can juice enough of them to make cherry-beer. Ten or more years ago I stopped in at my local wine/beer-making store, and they invited me into the back of the store to try some cherry beer. It was the best beer I have ever tasted, and quite potent too -- I walked out of the store feeling no pain, just happy to be alive and marvelling at life itself. Now I'm on a quest to produce a home-made cherry beer to rival that.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL...that sounds good!

Most of my Evans are picked and should have enough to make 50L of wine, it was a bit early this year, usually they get ready around end of the month, all the rain helped to push it along.

• ljpother
    12 years ago

konrad,

Do you pit the cherries for wine?

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Time for wine and cheese at Konrads house. Right?

• Collin001
    12 years ago

In our area only the apple crabs are ready. Still at the farmer's market I was able to pick up two pails of Romeo cherries. They are very good canned, very different taste than bing type.

Someday when I grow up I'll get a acreage I'll grow all sorts of stuff.....

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

""Time for wine and cheese at Konrads house. Right?""

Yep!..I've been taking some out to Devonian at our annual fruit festival for tasting.
    I use juice only for wine.
    The cherries get frozen first...they're so much easier to juice after, I put about 1/2 a pail, [5 gallon bucket] with cherries then take one of those long 5 gallon paint mixer and stir until the cherries are all shredded,...the pits will come out. Then the whole soup I put through the spinner of my apple juicer, you could sift it with cheese cloth, 4 corners of the cloth tie to the chair legs, chair upside down with a bowl under, my mom used this method when making jelly. I fill the 50 L. stainless steel pressure keg, a little water, sometimes none when I have lots, sweeten with honey. [concentrated...it'll make a good hot drink with water in the winter] After I close the keg, at room temperature it might take one to two weeks until it reaches around 140PSI and stops farther fermentation,,... then I put it in the basement, in about 5 month it would be ready, there is a drain on the bottom, it'll come out as foam under this pressure....still nice and sweet for taste with about 4% alcohol. The pulp I dry....been feeding deer but now I want to use it myself for a cereal mix.

""Someday when I grow up I'll get a acreage I'll grow all sorts of stuff.....""

Collin, when I was little I had this dream also, ...it got fulfilled, I'm very blessed...a labor of love thing but never regretted.

{{gwi:115864}}

{{gwi:123697}}

• Collin001
    12 years ago

Thanks Konrad. I'll get there someday. That reminds me if it isn't too much trouble, which varieties of Mountain Ash are edible? They are one of the few trees which grow well in Regina soils.

As for the beans they may start to do something the first week of September. Alot depends how early the frost comes in September.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was being told all are edible...it's just that they taste so horrible that nobody uses them. There is one German type, fairly nice taste, which I grafted to a native tree, but it seems after several years it got fire blight or something and the two branch died off, now I have to start from scratch.
    I will see at our fruit festival coming up Sept. 17, 18, at Devonian Garden if I can get the name.

• ziggro
    12 years ago

Today, I decided I'd better pick the rest of my cherries...they're in a protected corner but the frost still got them a bit. I think they'll be OK though. Beautiful crop of Evans and Meteors--gallons of cherries--to go with the Mesabis that I picked a couple weeks back. The Meteors were especially nice and big this year.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Collin, found a website on edible ash, mine looked like Rosina or Rabina.

Ziggro,...I remember one's, someone told me the Meteor is very
    similar to Evans, ..what is your opinion?

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Mountain Ash

• ziggro
    12 years ago

Meteor is similar to Evans, at least in my garden. Both are small trees. The Meteor cherries ripen a little earlier and, at least this year, are a bit larger than Evans. My understanding is that Evans is a bit hardier, but both have been fully hardy here. The yield from my Meteor was a bit less than from the Evans, but then, the Meteor is a younger tree and probably a year or two away from full production.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with both varieties.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ziggro, I don't grow Meteor, that's why I asked.

The black currants are about ready to pick, first nice crop, I've been heaving worms in these, this year I covered them up.

{{gwi:96764}}

And Western Sand Cherries, these have no bug issue, ..think this is a underrated cherry.

{{gwi:108303}}

{{gwi:108300}}

• ziggro
    12 years ago

The sand cherries look beautiful.

My black currants were wormy also. My wife doesn't care for them, so I might pull them out and try something different.