Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Hail damage

Konrad___far_north
12 years ago

The garden is chopped, shredded, flattened.

Have to wait for a couple of day's to see what will recover.

The same with fruits..the second year in a row, good thing I

don't have many this year.

I was hoping for some pin cherry jelly this year, now I don't know, the fruit set was best in about 15 years!

Even choke cherries got knocked off green.

Good thing....it could be worse.

Pin cherry...allot missing!

{{gwi:108269}}

September Ruby

{{gwi:108276}}

Comments (11)

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

When did this happen Konrad?. What a sad sight.I just hate hail. It can ruin a whole years crop in minutes.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Evening of the 31st.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

What a shame! I guess it could always be worse like you said, but so disappointing to have that happen when you had such a promising harvest of fruit.

• mytime
    12 years ago

OUCH! That's got to be some hail to bruise and cut the apples...how disappointing for you.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Oh no, that's horrible and nothing we can do to prevent it. :0( I hope you manage to get some harvest after all...

• savona
    12 years ago

It feels like such a waste of a growing season. If it wasnt for the hope of a better next year I doubt any of us would garden or grow fruit...Jean

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Will you be able to use some of the apples for juicing at least?

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think so...will see how many stay on the tree...not all lost.
    The first day looks allway's the worst, the heavy zucchini leaves
    got damaged pretty good and protected whatever was under a bit. One plant is gone because the center was gone. The carrots were all flat on the ground and lots of foliage gone, tomatoes and beans don't look too hot either...will see how they turn around.

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Konrad that's horrible! How about eating the good half of the apple and cut off the other side for juice? Seems like something I'd do but you may not be as "nuts" as I am.

The hail and wind we got didn't damage a thing other than some of the tomato leaves. I couldn't believe it. Friends though ended up with lots of trees damaged. We must be more protected or just lucky this time around.

Here's hoping you get a good harvest anyway. =:)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Hail, really a gardener's worst nighmare, so very much work can be destoryed so quickly. I totally cringe when I hear those stones falling upon the roof making that sharp chinking sound, that's when then I hold my breath and hope for the best! Today, we talked with friends that live near Stony Plain who mentioned their garden was recently badly damaged.

Terrance

• don555
    12 years ago

Hail sucks but you are right that things always look worse right after the storm. It is amazing how quickly most veggies recover, in two weeks it probably won't even look like you had hail. Tree fruit is another matter, bruising and scabs are unpleasant but on the plus side it sounds like you are growing tons of fruit so hopefully there's enough good blemish-free stuff remaining to get a good harvest.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County