Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Norland apple is ready for harvest if......

Konrad___far_north
17 years ago

it looks like this and want to store a couple of month in the fridge!

Hot weather sure has pushed harvest season ahead!....sprout sunshine plum is getting

yellow already!

Konrad

{{gwi:120438}}

Comments (14)

• glen3a
    17 years ago

Hi Konrad,

I definitely agree it's an earlier harvest. For me, my Norlands, which are early in most years, have been ripening for about two weeks already.

I find, however, that by the time the Norlands are all reddish in color they are no good, too mealy/mushy inside (maybe it's just me as I prefer them crisp and juicy). I try to pick them when they just have a slight blush to them, maybe only on one side. It's hard to do though, as they go from "just ripe" to "over ripe" very quickly, especially with the recent heat.

Does anyone have wasp problems? Would you believe the wasps eat craters in the over ripe apples? At first I thought it was birds doing that.

The nice thing about Norland though is that the tree is such a dependable producer and the apples do taste decent.
    Plus, no matter how much I trim the tree, there still seem to be fruiting branches left.

As for my Sept Ruby, no apples this year. I blame that on two reasons, the first being my major pruning job this spring. The second maybe that it producers heavier in alternate years. Oh well, the Norland gives enough for my use.

Enjoy your harvest!

Glen

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Your Norlands look beautiful, Konrad! The harvest sure is early this year, even the grain crops have been coming off for the past two weeks already.

Glen yes there is a horrible wasp problem this summer - they multiply exponentially during hot dry weather - and we had an early spring to get them started. When I had a plum tree I remember they used to eat holes in the plums too. I found an underground nest of wasps next to my house last week and sprayed some wasp spray down the hole, and they don't seem quite as bad now. If they live underground, does that mean they are yellow jackets? I have been stung twice in the past two weeks >:0( But I haven't seen any action at the nest so I think I got them all.

• glen3a
    17 years ago

Sorry you got stung. I think I have a wasp nest under the concrete front steps. The thing is, it's sort of hard to spray unless I know exactly where under the stairs the nest is.

I tried one of those glass jar-type wasp traps and while they work, they really haven't trapped too many wasps so far. Okay, I admit I find it amusing/entertaining everytime one gets trapped in there because it's my way of getting back at the little pests.

So far though, aside from over ripened apples, they seem to be attracted to barbequed meat. Maybe I should just stuff my wasp trap with that, lol.

Glen

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    17 years ago

I had picked the Norlands today, as they had already begun to fall from the tree ... now that's an early harvest! They have not colored up much, but the flavor is good and that's what counts! If I were to wait much longer for them to turn red, well they'd all be on the ground and too soft and mushy.

Konrad, I did get a Sprout's sunshine plum to take from those grafts you had given, it's now already about 5 feet tall!

Glen, I'm actually surprised at the low numbers of wasps and hornets this season. In the spring there had been so MANY that I was sure we'd be totally over run with them! Some years they make a complete mess of the raspberries, but despite the HOT and DRY summer, there had been none while we were picking away. Once I had actually tossed back a berry with a yellow jacket upon it, and yea I had gotten stung on the tongue!

Terry

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all!
    I should have mentioned, my Norland is grown outside town, well pruned and gets sun all day long, this makes a big difference.
    A Norland grown amongst other trees, or the sun can't reach into the cluttered branches, or in town, gets shaded, so you are right Glen, when waiting until the apple is red, it's too late.
    The apples in the picture are still firm and crisp, none have fallen off.

September Ruby is usually a heavy producer, not self thinning as the Norland, have thinned them out this year to help get a crop every year.
    Terry,
    Sprout's sunshine plum is a fast growing plum and find a very reliable producer!
    I have witnessed the same with wasp as you Terry.
    Very high numbers in spring and not many at all now, not even a problem with Evans Cherry picking. Last year was very bad, you almost had to wear a Vail
    Konrad

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

All those wasps must have moved east because, like Glen, we've had a real wasp problem around here this summer. My husband has killed three nests so far. They got me twice while working in one garden, darn things. Owie! He thinks he got that nest - it was in the ground - but i haven't gone over to test that theory yet!

The only fruit trees we have are two Nanking cherries and the wasps don't seem to bother them. It's the robins we have to contend with!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

>>He thinks he got that nest - it was in the ground - but i haven't gone over to test that theory yet!

LOL!
    Better stay away for a while and watch from a distance!

One more thing with Norlands, always a sure thing, when the seeds are still white, they are nice and crisp.
    Konrad

• Randy.Canada
    10 years ago

Seven years later: my Norlands are very red, have started to fall, are delicious and juicy (have made apple crisp a few times). It seems (can anyone confirm?) that I should pick them all now, put them into the crisper part of the fridge? I suppose I will start making applesauce and juice/cider (not fermented, just "with pulp").

Who else has heard that applesauce "needs" more than one variety of apple? I have other types but they are not ripe yet (Primavera/Olympic, Freedom).

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, pick them all!
    One tree I cleaned yesterday,..got a couple more and tomorrow will be juiced most of them.

In the crisper you can keep them several weeks or month if the seeds are still on the white side.
    No, you don't need others for sauce, Norland is perfect for this.

• northernmn
    10 years ago

What root stock is on the Norlands mentioned above?

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW..7years later Randy, ..crazy how time flies!
    That tree from picture above is resting this year,..only had about 10 apples on this year.

I also picked some Parklands, Harcourt and Rescue Crab, all these ripen about the same time.

northernmn, I grow my own seedlings, from crab and others I grow.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago

Great write up on that Norland Ron!

Here some late Norland from Sept. 10 ..past prime picking and mush, only good for wildlife.

These Norland from Sept. 2. just at the end of picking time, makes great sweet juice and good on their own like you said Ron.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago

This Norland from another year... picked a little later, Sept. 8

a pail makes about 6 litre nice sweet juice.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH