Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

Tomatoes

don555
9 years ago

So for me in Edmonton, this has been the most amazing tomato year in a long, long, time. In the photo below, I am just over 6 feet tall, so those tomato vines are too. I have 6 Stupice and one Latah plant, and have picked maybe 400 tomatoes before this photo was taken. First started picking ripe tomatoes on July 17. Probably won't grow Latah again, but for the Stupice I love the flavour, love the earliness, wish they were bigger fruited and didn't have green shoulders, but overall, 5 stars out of 5 for my backyard.

So other northern tomato-growers, how was your season and how do you rate the varieties you grew?

Comments (6)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Looks awesome Don555!

I have had almost an opposite year here. I have 8 'Tumbler', 4 'Sweet 100' and 6 more NOID gifted seeds and just started picking a couple weeks ago. I am hoping for a late fall as they are loaded with green tom's. We went from in the fridge to the fire for weather. I find around here the tomatoes shut down in the hot (35C+) dry weather. I must get a greenhouse up for humidity.

That pic is making me drool!

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

I'm growing 4 varieties, two of which were from the box of seeds and appear to have been mislabeled. One is a potato leaf variety which was supposed to be purple but the one I brought in to ripen is turning light red. The other is an enormous beefsteak which was supposed to be striped, but there's one ripening on the plant with no stripes. :/

The plants are doing wonderfully, tons of fruit set on them, but due to the cold spring & first half of summer, they're really late ripening.

• nutsaboutflowers
    9 years ago

Holy Cow! 400 tomatoes from 7 plants? that's amazing!

I seem to be having a good tomato year also, but I've only got about 6 large tomatoes that are ripe in the next few days, and the rest will be a while yet.

I've tried some new varieties again this year, but it's too early to report other than the Silvery Fir Tree seems to be producing more for the size of the plant than the others. It's the only determinate I have. It's a very pretty plant that doesn't even look like a tomato plant :) I'm looking forward to the huge almost ripe Ciesinski as I've never grown oxheart shaped tomatoes before. I may have to hide that one so nobody else eats it :)

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

My tomatoes are really good this year too. Only the Big Beef and some cherries (Sweet 100's and Sunsugar) are ripening but there are lots of OP/heirloom tomatoes on the vine. I think the largest tomato I have right now is a Persimmon. Our days have cooled somewhat, hopefully the tomatoes can ripen in time before the dreaded "F" word.

• northspruce
    9 years ago

On further investigation, the seeds weren't mislabeled. The purple tomato isn't really supposed to be purple, and the German striped one is more blotchy than striped and looks exactly how it should. Lol

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

LOL north spruce. Most of mine are just green LOL

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA