Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Last things blooming

marricgardens
11 years ago

I've been busy here digging plants and moving them to the new beds so please excuse the mess. There are still quite a few left to dig but here are pictures of the last few things blooming here. Marg

Orchid Corsage has put on a good show this year and is still going strong.{{gwi:767529}}

Belle Isle Bandit sent up 2 rebloom scapes.

{{gwi:767530}}

Mal is sending up 2 rebloom scapes now.

{{gwi:767532}}

Four O'clocks

{{gwi:767534}}

Prairie Sun Rudbeckia is still looking good.

{{gwi:767536}}

The Magnus echinacea seems to go before the White Swan.

{{gwi:767538}}

I planted Vulcan Malope this year, started from a pkg. Some of the plants are snow white. I didn't even realize malope came in white! I think they would look nice with the dark daylilies so I will save seeds from the white and grow more of them next year.

{{gwi:767541}}

Comments (3)

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

Marg, your title seems sort of sad to me and too early......it's still summer and there'll still be blooming going on in your yard, won't there? It sure looks like it according to your pictures.

That Vulcan malope sure is a healthy pretty plant.

Your daylilies have about the same amount of questionable leaves as some of mine do. I'm going to chalk it up to variable weather. Way too much rain and cold last year, way too much heat and not much rain this year. I think they're just trying to do their best in unpleasant conditions =:) I sure hope everyone's are better next year.

Lynn

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Your rudbeckia and four O'clocks look great. The rudbeckias are pretty much stealing the show here and I'm planning on planting way more next year, mind you they also self sow and each one being appreciated. I have a compact 'Cappuccino' that must have 35 open blooms upon it, this one I'm definitely saving seed from and I've marked a few more of my favorites. I'm also taking stock and deciding what and what not to grow for next year and soon will be moving around what perennials and shrubs I can.

Thanks again for showing the nice photos and let's all hope for a long warm autumn like last year!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My garden has been neglected badly for the past few weeks because I have been busy digging and trasplanting and just planting new daylilies, ripping out of the beds some of the self seeders that got out of control i.e. lemon bergamot and simply love hibiscus. They're pretty but can take over if you aren't careful.

Lynn: I do still have some things blooming but the strong winds we get here and the drought have taken a toll on a lot of things. The malope is an annual that I just love, it's supposed to be cherry colored but somehow I ended up with some white ones.

Twrosz: I also love rubeckia for glorious fall colour. Beginning to think I like it more than echinacea, but I'll keep both. My favorite R. is Prairie Sun because I love the bright sunny colour. I have several others but they seem to always fade out or revert to something else.

My next big job is to move a large peony and a sumac that the birds left in my flower bed. They also left a sunflower in my daylily bed. That one I'll leave until it flowers and I see if the seeds are worth saving. Otherwise I may just leave it for the jays. Marg

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting