Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alalbertaz2b

Slugs

alalbertaz2b
18 years ago

Hi all

I seem to be overrun with slugs. The damp weather that we have been having the last few weeks has brought them out and I am finding them on everything. Even in pots of petunias hanging on the fence. I put out beer in pans for them but the only thing that likes it is the dog and I am not sure that it is good for her. Does anyone have any good methods for controling them or getting rid of them. I am off to Edmonton today and will look for some bait or something but if it can't be used around pets I will not buy it.

Cheers Al

Comments (10)

• dentaybow
    18 years ago

The slug bait that contains Iron Phosphate is safe for everything except slugs.

Is there a chance you live 'round the corner from a Starbucks? Lotza folks use coffee grounds.

I dislike referring you to a different site, but I wrote a response on my favorite slug control method just a short time ago on the MN forum. Stock up on ammonia!
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Slug control methods.

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Hi Al, try laying some scraps of 2x4's amongst the plants that are getting damaged, in the daylight they hide to keep cool, squish, smash, squash them when you find them under the boards.

Safers makes a good natural safe slug bait, however if you're getting lots of rain, you'll have to repeat applications more often which can get very expensive. You can also sprinkle some bait under those scraps of boards to lure them.

Beer traps with covers are very effective, will keep dogs from slurping it up... I bought my trap from Lee Valley this year and it works great, however the beer can get expensive too ;)

Sharon

• PrairieRoots
    18 years ago

We are overrun with slug too. No aphids, thrips, and worms but it seems like thousands of slugs. My peppers and zucchini have no leaves and the bean and peas have just recovered and any marigold planted in the ground looks like a skeleton. This year I have resorted to beer and Safers slug bait. It seems the slugs are attracted to the beer but soon retreat after one sip so I bait the area with slug pellets for any slug that may get the munchies on the way home. I have also been lifting any pails and pots that they may be under and give the old size 10 shoe treatment. I wish the birds would help out more but the cat seems to have taken care of that.
    Andre

• alalbertaz2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all
    Thank you for the responses for slug control. I will be trying all the methods, especially the ammonia solution. That one sounds really interesting. I hunted all over west Edmonton yesterday looking for slug bait that is safe for pets but everyone was sold out so everybody must be having a problem with slugs this year. I am also going to look into Lee Valley's slug trap as beer is not a problem. I used to make the stuff from kits and still have some left. Hopefully all this will do the trick. Thanks again.

Cheers Al

• dentaybow
    18 years ago

Slugs are horrible this year.....a real understatement. Guess it is all the rain and heat.

A beer substitute. Why waste beer or buy it if you don't have it on hand. Slugs are attracted to the yeast in beer. So any sort of yeast mix will do. I just mix yeast, sugar, water and some flour. Put it out in cups and it attracts slugs....better than beer does in my experience. I think there is an 'exact formula' for mixing the yeast solution....but any old mix seems to work...as long as it has yeast and sugar. The longer the yeast mixture has to 'ferment' the more slimey slugs it attracts. Kinda like making a sourdough starter.
    Jan

• PrairieRoots
    18 years ago

I picked up slug bait at Walmart but that was a month ago. I also was told that corn meal may work by causing the snail to bloat and die. I just remembered I have a box of Meta Slug and I looks like crushed corn coated with a powder.
    Andre

• lylak
    15 years ago

I have some potash - would sprinkling that on my garden get rid of the slugs. I was thinking that they don't like salt, but I can't use salt in the garden - but perhaps potash, which is a form of salt would work???? Any ideas?

• kstrawson
    15 years ago

Corry's slug bait is the best...okay around pets too except birds.

• laldridg_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

In Ref to Kstrawson's post. Please don't use Corry's slug bait. It is very effective against slugs, but it is toxic to dogs and looks like a tasty treat to them.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County