Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Has Anyone Else Orderd Tulips Yet?

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

I placed a tulip order yesterday. I always deny that a change of season is coming.

I ordered the usual varieties of red/yellow, red/white, plus I ordered Deirdre Viridiflora as it was just so unique. Apple green and white blossoms. I also decided to try a Puschkinia Libanotica because the white blossom with the blue veining looks interesting. I should look up what it is. It's listed under "unusual". For good measure I sent a separate order of Mickey Mouse Single Early and Color Spectacle Multiflower late tulips to a friend =:)

Lucky I have a new bed to help make room for all of these.

Anyone else?

Comments (11)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I ordered some too, but about a month ago when Botanus had a sale or something. I ordered Foxtrot double early - i think that was for my granddaughter's bed - Happy Generations Triumph because i like the red and white, and Shirley's Dream to go into my Shirley memorial bed. I also ordered New Baby mini narcissi because there's going to be a new baby this winter! :)

• debbiecz3
    13 years ago

Pushkinia is a pretty little bulb, it's a relative of scilla I think. It's good in a partially shaded spot and increases nicely. Just thought I'd mention I was at Costco yesterday and they have their spring bulbs for sale. Some nice varieties of tulips (50 to a bag),a bag with a variety of chionodoxa(which I bought) daffodils, anemones, and a few others I"ve forgotton. Also, allium; I bought globemaster which I have seen priced anywhere from 10-15$ each and here they had 3 for $14.95. They had some other varieties as well. Hopefully they will store well until planting time.

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

Yes, I just ordered from Botanus: Queen of the Night single late, Shirley single late, White Dream triumph, and Havran(red wine color) triumpth. Hopefully these will look good for more than one year. My apricot impression darwn hybrid looks great every year, as well as some unknown fire engine red variety that blooms and blooms and BLOOMS. But my orange bouquet, and my purple fringed tulips both disappeared after one year.

I bought purple sensation allium as well.

13 years ago

I ordered the allium too. I have some that still seem to come up every year but don't bloom. I should dig them out and plant them elsewhere - think they got too shaded where they are. They sure make a statement when they bloom!

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, two people ordered the purple allium. =:)

I was tempted, but it said zone 4. If I add it to my order, do you have any hints as to what type of spot it'll grow in?

How unsightly does it get after blooming and what would I hide it with? Annuals?

Can it withstand any wind?

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

This will be the first time I've tried Purple Sensation allium, but I do have the drumstick allium as well as the blue one, whatever it is called. For 3 years now they have come back strong...no problems of hardiness at all. I'm not sure if the larger novelty gladiator types are as hardy or not.

Mine are planted in full sun, and they seem to like that best. Mine do not flop in the wind at all, they are much sturdier than they appear! I've read that for the big alliums, they need REALLY good drainage to stay upright. As for the unsightly foliage...well, I have mine interplanted with lilies, and I think they look awesome. The foliage just seems to sort of disappear, I don't notice it when it dies at all. I leave the blooms on after they go to seed; I think they look kind of neat.

One of my favorite perennials! You can tuck it in just about anywhere.

13 years ago

Yes, the alliums are sturdy and look fine even after they've finished blooming. Their blooms and the subsequent seedheads are nice and round. It has reseeded in my garden too. The trouble, i think, is that other stuff grew up around it - my filipendula is going nuts! - and shaded it too much. Next year i'll try to clear around it more and see if that helps.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I have the giant late alliums and they multiply slowly underground. They are not unsightly after blooming, in fact I like how their seed heads look and they persist all year. Here they are with some lilies:

They also don't fall over. Like Weeper said, the foliage isn't noticeable. They just have straplike leaves that lie on the ground for the most part.

As for fall bulbs - I will definitely be making a Costco trip soon. I am humming and hawing about Botanus. I find it so expensive. Anyone have a sale code or anything? ;) I really want some lemony yellow tulips this year, and something lily flowered. I'm looking at Ballerina and Sweetheart... sitting on my hands...

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I "gotta get me some" of those allium.

Plus, some of the choices everyone made, makes me want to add to my order. Those Sweethearts are sure a pretty lemon yellow. They'd probably look nice with the free daffodil collection Botanus is sending for their anniversary. Northspruce, did you see the free gift? Maybe it would influence you =:)

13 years ago

Botanus might be a bit more expensive, but the quality of what you get is always really good and they have good customer service, so they're worth it, i think. :)

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Oooo, free daffodils? That might sway me!