Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Euphorbia a mistake?

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 10:19

I got asked to weed a public garden for the hort society (groan) but luckily it was full of self-seeded perennials and I was told to get rid of anything not in a clump. Score! I took a couple of delphiniums and something else (seriously can't remember) and what I was told was a euphorbia. I think it's E. mellifera. Is it really seedy? Am I going to regret it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Euphorbia a mistake?

I would not grow Cypress Spurge, but other Euphorbias should be alright. I haven't heard about any others that go crazy in our colder zones. I rarely see E. polychroma around here although it looks like it would be a nice plant if it was reliably hardy. I think I tried to grow it 20 years ago but it didn't take.

o

There are certainly spurges that are very seedy/weedy. Not sure of the variety you mentioned but googled it and it was rated as zone 8. I grow polychromia which is a lovely plant; I need to move it this fall as it's been completely shaded out by shrubbery. I would do some further investigation before planting in your garden!

o

North, I would say plant it. Don't look at it as potentially seedy/weedy rather an opportunity to do mass shovel pruning. Ostrich will be begging for seeds!

SCG

o

LOL SCG! You are a funny guy! HA!

I have a Euphorbia (First Blush) and it has not been weedy or seedy at all. In fact, one might wish that it would be a bit more weedy! ROTFLOL! it's such a beautiful thing during spring, I love it.

Now, I have not tried other Euphorbias in this climate but there are so many different varieties that I will not be surprised if they all behave rather differently...

o

I don't know what this is. I took a photo of it but my PC won't go on the Internet suddenly and I have no way to post it from my phone. It's medium green, fairly tall, the leaves are approximately shaped like Popsicle sticks and arranged in whorls around the stem. I was told it turns red in fall. It doesn't look like cypress spurge or polychromata but it's hard to tell because I don't have a whole clump.

o

Check out E. polychroma 'Bonfire'...sounds a bit like you've described.

o

Okay, here it is! When I google a particular variety it gives me so many different pictures I don't know which to trust. This is mine.

photo IMG_50421_zps44bfd3bb.jpg

o

Looks like E. polychroma, perhaps 'Major'...you'll have to make a note of its colour in the Fall and what the blooms look like next year.

o

Cool, thanks. I'll see what it does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here