Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weeper_11

What is going on this year?

weeper_11
11 years ago

I've heard a number of people complain about their daylilies performance this year..I too have had major issues with some of mine(though a couple of them performed beautifully for some reason) not blooming at all, a few of them blooming, but the flower stalk being very short and then blooms being down in the foliage. One plant had buds filling out and then they suddenly dried up and fell off(I'm guessing heat stress that week?). I have a couple of plants with terrible leaf streak/general leaf yellowing. I have a couple that have had many distorted blooms(not opening properly, etc.)

Then all but one of my siberian irises didn't bloom at all this year!! And the one that did bloom had very few flowers. I have never had that problem before.A couple of my bearded iris bloomed fine, but now they have lots of leaf spots and barely any green leaves.

Does anyone know what the problem is this year? My only guess is various types of stress - where I am we have had periods with a lot of rain and humidity, which causes lots of trouble with my heavy clay soil. And then we have also had periods of intense heat/no rain which probably just added to the stress. Bah...I hope next year we have a "normal" year..whatever that means. I'm seriously considering planting more of my perennial beds to shrubs and shrub-like perennials such as peonies and roses, because it seems like almost every year certain perennials just can't take the conditions. I would like everything to look nice for once!

Anyone else having problems this year?

Comments (8)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

I've actually had a good year for daylilies, lilies, and iris. Finally! This has not been the case every year and this season was a bit late. Iris blooms were into July and didn't last as long due to the heat. I also lost a few established clumps thanks to our odd winter. :/ Lilies are blooming now and for the last month and a half depending on the type. Daylilies started blooming early July and are still going strong. Some of the late bloomers are just starting. I am just trying to organize my pics so I can post.

I think it has been an odd season all across Canada and certainly here in Alberta. My only saving grace is that we have had pretty much steady rain . Not much watering this year. Lots of mud, mosquitos, and weeds! Clay soil here too but I have amended much of my flower beds.

I have been ill most of the season so maybe my gardens do better when I ignore them. :)

Ginny

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

I've had the am problem with daylilies - some blooming nicely but most either not blooming at all or sending up one scape with one bloom and then nothing. And leaf streak on many of them. The sibs bloomed okay but didn't last long.It was the bearded irises that didn't bloom at all - only one, actually, and it was another one that lasted about a day and then nothing.

It has to be something to do with the weather. We too have had heat and humidity and excessive rain when it comes. I don't know what else it could be.

• weeper_11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ginny, what have you amended your soil with? I don't produce nearly enough compost for the size of flower beds I have, which is one problem. I initially amended with peat moss, but it has been 5 years since I've done that and much of it seems to have vanished. Back to square one I guess?!

Marcia, glad to hear I'm not the only one! This summer has been best described as "intense" for us(intense heat, intense rain, intense humidity)!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Other than a few daylily varieties, most have been blah this year, leaf streak or whatever has badly afflicted many and most have had a shortened bloom period. A warm HUMID and WET summer has not benefited most of them. Though, some always perform as super troupers and giving their usual fantastic show.

One of my best performers remains Stella Supreme, a fantastic rebloomer with a nice butter yellow color :)

Ginny, sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well this summer, I sure hope you soon improve :)

11 years ago

Weeper, I usually just dump in a few bags of top soil, some leaves, a wee bit of vermiculite, sand and peat moss, then I just dig in alfalfa pellets in the fall. Sometimes I have a bit of homemade compost. We have a compost facility here in Edmonton but I have found it just filled my yard with weeds I have never even heard of! I'd rather make my own. We have lots of trees! Maybe just tie out the horses in the yard for a couple of days and collect their presents. :)

Thanks Terry. I'll be out soon with lilies and seeds. :)

Ginny

• weeper_11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ginny, do you have annuals mixed in with your perennials so that you can dig in some of your "good stuff" each year? Or do you just top dress your soil? In my garden, which is 100% perennials, I can never quite figure out where you are supposed to put the compost in the spring/fall without drowning your perennials.

Yes, I want to start a big compost pile this fall and dump some horse manure in. I'm sure I have tons of stuff to throw in there, I just need to find out what and how much!

I think I am hijacking my own thread ha ha.

I'm glad that your plants did OK when you weren't well enough to coddle them! If I were to leave my flowers I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to see them for the weeds!

11 years ago

The weeds did exceptionally well this year, Weeper! The back 40 (as I like to call it) is now considered a tropical rain forest and I may have to start baling. :)

I usually put in a few annuals around the edges of my flower beds. I just dig the leaves and such into the beds in the spring. Good winter protection and food too. I'm not that fussy as far as raking the leaves goes. I love the crunchy sound, the spooky Halloween thing in the fall, and the moisture retention/mulch I get for my perennials. And I am usually too sore from gardening all summer to rake anything!

The absolute best compost IMO is corral fodder. Weeper, just back up your pick up to the feedlot and shovel er on! Amazing stuff!

Ginny

• weeper_11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha, oh I see..your weed situation is in the same boat as mine then, when I get too tied up with something to weed. Their motto is "faster, higher, stronger." ;)

Thanks for clearing up how you incorporate your leaves and so on. I guess I'll just have to topdress and work it in any time I transplant...I don't have much room in between perennials.

I dunno, Ginny, the manure in the feedlot is pretty hot and also soupy. But I will definitely be collecting the older presents left by my nags. :D