Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Does Anyone Buy Fall Mums ?

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

I walked past a ton of Fall Mums at the store the other day and was tempted to buy some. I'd like to lengthen my flowering season because it started so late.

I have no intention of trying to keep them over the winter. Are they going to get a lot of aphids? Is that maybe why I haven't bought them before? I can't remember my reasoning from last year.....

Comments (8)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

I have bought mums in the past three years and found them to be reliable perennials so far. Never an issue with any bugs and never have I fussed over them. I have yellow, pink, white, orange and burgundy ones. They seem to be doing pretty good so far this year as well.

Ginny

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

I used to stay away from mums. I always considered them to be 'funeral flowers'. Everytime you went to a funeral you saw lots of mums. When I started gardening, I started buying them because they give a gorgeous splash of color to the fall bed. Like honalee, I have had them come back reliably every year and never seen bugs on them. We just got our usual pack of flyers and I saw that the garden center has them on sale for $3. Time to buy some more. Marg

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

I had picked up a few plants at Home Depot last year, they both wintered, though the one got trampled to death this spring. The remaining plant has budded up, though they're far from opening. If it flowers before frost, I'll then consider purchasing more plants next year.

Tigertail and Firestorm, are excellent mums from Jeffries ...

Terry

• tanja_r
    13 years ago

I have limited garden space and I buy mums quite often. In the fall I put them in a nice pot and fill a spot in the garden left by earlier blooming plants that I have cut back. Keeps the garden looking cheery for much longer, and I've never had any problems. I must admit, the few I have have planted in the ground have not come back for me. There's so many beautiful varieties to choose from!

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Morden mums are the hardiest and should bloom early for most places.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did you know that the F word used in this post is really bad at this time of year ?

Just as bad as the word rain in some parts of the country right now =:)

Ha! ha!

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

Never mind the F word, I think I heard the S word on the weather network today! In the middle of July!

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

Yes, I love my mums! I have Morden Delight, Tigertail, Firestorm, Dreamweaver, Showbiz, and am looking forward to getting more! I think their flowers look awesome from later summer on, with nice healthy foliage all summer. I've never had any trouble with bugs, iron chlorosis, or anything else with these plants. They definitely benefit from pinching early on in the summer, and not too much fertilizer. They bloom tons if you fertilize, but the stems are quite floppy and it makes the plant look messy.

They don't need much water either; just decent drainage. Buy them!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville